+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What now?

What now?

As reported on another post DA really has run out of things to say. However, he is required to make comments to the media and he is generally telling it as he sees it so what can he say? The problem, of course, is that some people don't see it the same as Artell. Some of those ideas may include:-
    1) "Wonder goals": just how many of these can any team concede? Surely there's a problem. Well, clearly there is- the consistent tendency to back-pedal and not close down. We can all see it and obviously the opposition know it too.
    2) "Not getting on the end of crosses":
    a) from set-pieces: for every free-kick/corner, why oh why is there nobody in the back half of the penalty area? How many times have set-pieces come to nothing because the cross is 'too long?
    b) from open play: do our forwards never practise doing split runs- one at the front, one at the back in anticipation of the cross. How many times have Kirk, Pickering and Whelan fizzed in crosses only for no-one getting on the end of them?
    I want to add that DA's substitutions are unimaginative. They are nearly all like-for-like and therefore don't really suggest a change of formation/tactics.
    Final point: With Owen Dale looking positive, I think we need him AND Kirk starting with maybe Porter in the middle. My reasoning here is that we need 2 real wingers which would benefit a less mobile Porter. Unfortunately, this would mean the dropping of Bowery, who's going through a bad patch and Ainley, who does not contribute enough final product. It would also require a 3-man midfield. In this midfield I would prefer to see Lowery but DA prefers Finney. Then again Green is back soon😀

I would not have Lowery or Finney anywhere near Gresty Road never mind on the pitch absolutely useless so far short of football league standard it is embarrassing, would be number 1 and 2 on my summer exit list with Ray and Garratt at 3 and 4 as they are stale and time they moved on. Academy downgraded in the summer also a must. And I would sack Artell for allowing Porter to trigger a further year totally past it and incompetent squad management from Artell.

Cannot agree:
    Lowery has the ability to keep things moving in midfield and is good at pressing and chasing the opposition down
    I have criticised George recently but I still think we need him. His problem is complacency- after a period of playing well he tends to get cocky and that's when carelessness creeps in. However when he's focussed, he's good. You'll probably get your wish at the end of the season when he leaves on a free.
    Porter needs playing to his strengths. He had his most productive spell when Cooper was playing because then there were good crosses for him to score from. Hence why we need Dale in the team and for Charlie to be allowed to get behind the opposition defence .
    I think Garrett needs a fresh start. Yes, he's good shot stopper but his best times (at this club) are behind him.
    Finney, however, I'm still not convinced about.

I welcome healthy debate

Lowery will be in the non league inside the next 2 years we will return to this post then.

Ray is a poor footballer that is at his level a squad player in a poor team free transfer beckons

Dale looks ok but playing in this poor team will destroy his confidence

Porter sorry he is well passed his best extremely disappointed we have to pay him for another season waste of the clubs valuable funds.

Garratt will be on his way for a free

Finney have seen a bit of him very average

Anyone else want to contribute? I feel this is a topic we can have a

really good deep discussion about

I think wartman is too ready to discard players too soon, unless he is a regular at Under 23 matches of course which I’m not.

Lowery has slipped down the pecking order due to Jones recovery and Finney’s Progress but I think that’s as much to do with him being thrown in at the deep end last season when he was too slight and inexperienced to play as after as he did. Not the manager’s fault that Jones and Wintle both got injured and he preferred Pixie and Perry at FB, as I suspect we all did. He sorted that in January by signing Green and a RB and Lowery was hardly seen again. I hope he grows into his frame and matures as he showed plenty of promis - he may not be Messi but height has not proved a hindrance to plenty of decent pros over the years.

Porter is passed his best and, tbh, I’ve never been a big fan. Not sure what else DA could have done about the contract extension though. We aren’t scoring goals and have him available- do we just shrug and get on without him or try the option of playing him? We don’t have as much cover as we do at CH which is why I’d be surprised (and disappointed) to see Raynes trundle out again and trigger a contract extension.

Not much to say about Gorgeous George as I agree with gazan - on his day the best CH at the club, still prone to dropping the odd ******* but we look better with him in the side than not. The only thing I’d add is that, as mentioned on another thread, he is Crewe through and through, doesn’t shirk from a physical challenge, shows his appreciation to the fans and seems popular with his teammates - important when things aren’t going your way.

Dale, like Lowery, looks up for it and, unlike Ainley, hasn’t gone missing when he’s come on. All 3 of them, as with Kirk, Finley and Pixie, are pretty young and need to be given a chance. I hope the manager brings in a little more experience in January - more Hunt than O’Connor if you like, to help and guide these kids.