+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bottom 3 this week bottom 3 next week.What are we going to do about it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Last season, after 17 games we had 31 points and there were not many complaining then, even though we had scored 16 goals and conceded 12.
    This season, everyone is saying that it is boring and yet we have scored only one goal less and have conceded 21 more ---how can you say that that is boring when you were happy to see just 28 goals in 17 matches last season and have seen 48 in the same number this season?
    It has to be much more entertaining when you are seeing an average of 2.82 goals per match rather than 1.65 last season.
    Loads of fans are saying that it is goals that they want to see, however, they are finding this season boring!

So if we manage to pick up several single goal wins this will also not satisfy our fans, although it did last season.

It's a funny old game, as Greavsie used to say in an era when goals were often plentiful.
    Supersub

I guess we were seeking improvement on last season's effort.

Maybe there was a collective understanding from fans that as wonderful as it was to finish 7th our results were quite poor towards the tail end of the season and had other teams picked up the points they should have we would not have finished in a European spot.

But now that we were finally in Europe we looked at the sweet shop and thought we could afford more than just one lemon sherbet. Maybe two and a couple of space ship sherbets to go with them.

We now waited with baited breath for new blood and a tactical C change where we had 70% possession and not had to run like loonies chancing shadows.

Because we all knew that continuing that tactic would end in tears.

So to now Compare certain stats is close to irrelevant.

Poor play with no confidence and not a hint of shots on the opponents goals. Now lying in relegation territory.

No new blood; poor purchases; no plan B and a management desire not to play the people we have bought and not to blood anyone in our development squad etc.

Because these wounds seem to be self-inflicted and just keep on festering and are ignored and glossed over by people who can walk away from the club when we are relegated.

And that is the reason we are so devastated today.

To be fair sub we were actually in games last season competitively at least and as I’ve said before we got away with a few anyway that perhaps we shouldn’t have.
    However the football has gone backwards it’s there for all to see , we should have invested in better players and at least been competitive in a league that waits for no one Imo anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Last season, after 17 games we had 31 points and there were not many complaining then, even though we had scored 16 goals and conceded 12.
    This season, everyone is saying that it is boring and yet we have scored only one goal less and have conceded 21 more ---how can you say that that is boring when you were happy to see just 28 goals in 17 matches last season and have seen 48 in the same number this season?
    It has to be much more entertaining when you are seeing an average of 2.82 goals per match rather than 1.65 last season.
    Loads of fans are saying that it is goals that they want to see, however, they are finding this season boring!

So if we manage to pick up several single goal wins this will also not satisfy our fans, although it did last season.

It's a funny old game, as Greavsie used to say in an era when goals were often plentiful.
    I think you will find that I for one was complaining even in those first 17 games Sub, the first home game against West Brom was cringe worthy, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt until other similar games, the home game against Palace was a bore fest, if Wood had not been given that back pass we would not have won as it was the only chance in the game for us, we was lucky as Palace threw everything at us and even now I don't know how we escaped with a win, entertaining for Palace and the neutral but a completely poor display from us, the same goes (to name a few) for the other home games against West Ham and Newcastle, I said after that season we had over a dozen very poor games and 7th was lucky and we needed to buy good players which has failed to materialise.

I, like others on here give credit where and when it is due, I don't mind if we get a hammering, as long as we contribute something to the game, I don't find defending for the entire game and not threatening the opponents goal entertaining at all, we lack creativity, we lack a goal machine, we lack a tricky winger, Lennon was bought to supply our dud forwards, he's done it 2 or 3 times, look at Walcott at Everton, he attacks full backs, Lennon has been converted into a headless chicken running around in midfield fighting to regain the ball, and finally we lack good players, most of the squad are living in fantasy land playing in the PL as they are just not good enough, as I have said above, the writing was on the wall last season, we disregarded that and are now paying the price which is a dear one and in no way should the Board/Dyche have let it happen.

Out of the games you mention alto, there was only the Palace game in which we certainly struggled with only 4 shots, 2 of which were on target, whilst they had 23 shots with 4 on target.
    Against West Brom we had 20 shots but not one on target, whilst they had only 8 and scored the only goal with the one shot on target in the whole game!
    West Ham we managed 20 shots again with 5 on target as opposed to their 8 with 6 on target and Newcastle and us had the same figures of 12 shots with 5 on target.

My argument circles around the fact that the majority of fans consider that goals provide entertainment in a game and they have seen plenty this season in Burnley's games. Not good for Burnley fans, however, that is the reality and is vastly different to the results that we were grinding out last season.
    After 17 matches last season we had won 8 games by one goal, lost 2 games by the odd goal and drawn 5 games (4 by 1-1 and the other 0-0). Apart from yourself, alto, and a few more that I heard, the majority of fans were more than happy to pick up these results and were not moaning about lack of entertainment.

My argument was querying the fact that the majority of fans would not, or do not, consider the entertainment when Burnley are winning or drawing games by the narrow margins, as was happening last season, however, they do not consider they have been entertained when we lose 0-5, 0-4, 2-4 etc. in spite of the number of goals they have seen.

I'm not a stats man Sub, in Football or anything else, so shots on, shots off, for and against mean nothing to me and can be misleading in so many ways.

Like I mentioned a while ago to BT, if you are happy watching poor displays just to see us in the PL then good luck to you, but I'm not, I don't care if we are playing in the Prem, Championship or National league as long as we give our best and compete, and when I say that I mean try and score, use guile and be creative, and at least show some desire, nearly all the games this season have been poor, and as I have mentioned, a dozen or more games last season was below par, regardless of stats, points gained or the final placing of 7th.

I remember being in a service station on the Motorway around the time Judas Coyle was our Manager, a few coach's came in ferrying Stoke fans to or from a game, I spoke to more than a few of them about their time in the Prem, they all said the same, they would still follow them but it was boring to watch as the games were dull and uninspiring, at that time I thought Stoke's play was at least reasonable, but ours in comparison at the moment is well below that, so for any Claret fan who would settle for poor displays just to say they was in the Premier League, I'd have no trouble calling them a plastic fan.

I won't argue with your opinion alto, however, Burnley are my club and I shall continue to support them. I would have continued supporting them if they had gone out of the league in 1987.
    I have seen the best of us in 1959/60 and for a number of years in that era, I have seen the worst of us in the horrible years of the 1980s and I am now watching us try to compete in a league which I never, everr thought I would see us play in since its inception.
    I am unable to influence anything which happens and, having lived no nearer that 100 miles from the town since 1966, I am able to divorce myself from all the ill feeling which seems to abound at the moment.
    I just enjoy going to games and, although I would prefer us to be winning, I can take the rough with the smooth and never fail to enjoy my 300 mile round trip to watch and support MY team. You can call me a plastic fan if you wish because it would not worry me one bit because, as you are aware, there is very little in life that causes any anxiety to me. I just look at the best way forward and get on with it and make it happen, unfortunately, I am unable to use that maxim when it comes to Burnley Football Club because I have no influence other than giving my support to the team when they play.

My maxim will always be that it is only a game and not a matter of life or death.

We don't argue Sub, it just difference of opinions, of which there are many with every other Burnley fan.

I know you'd have continued supporting them if we'd have bowed out in 87, so would I.

Constant support is always in a true Claret, regardless of anything, but within that support come the difference of opinions, and airing them, NO we will not be able to change anything with airing those views, but as I have said before it gives a chance for discussions, banter and a different slant on our own thoughts, your usual saying of "Its just a game" is spot on, but in reality so is Politics, Religion and life in general and its the way we play it that matters, but discussion's and difference of opinions have always been there and hopefully always will be which can be called "Putting the world to rights" or "chewing the fat", failing that it could be a very sombre day at the dining table or in a pub not putting any of your views across on any subject because it wont change anything or to act in a passive manner because its not worth worrying about.

Haha, alto, you see, you have hit the nail on the head because I have 'Put the world to rights' and I have 'chewed the fat' many times in the past, however, now being older and wiser, I realise that the world has remaind the same and life continues regardless.
    You are also correct in that Politics, Religion and life in general is just a game and you had might as well just get on with it.

I suppose that, having said that, I shall have Theresa May or Jeremy Corbyn on the phone tonight to get my opinion on what should happen next with Brexit ---what a shame that I am not at home

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)