+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T The Long Song

O/T The Long Song

Documenting the end of slavery in Jamaica
    BBC 1 9-0 pm Next Tues ,Wed,Thurs
    Looks like worth watching

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Documenting the end of slavery in Jamaica
    BBC 1 9-0 pm Next Tues ,Wed,Thurs
    Looks like worth watching

Don't know if it will be covered but wealthy slave owning families [David Cameron's ancestors amongst them]
    including many of the british aristocracy were awarded compensation by the gov't of the time for "loss of earnings" would you believe
    It's odd but I will wager if you asked any student, contemporary or not if they were ever taught the details of the slave trade & after the answer would be no

DIDN'T think slavery had ended news to me it is still happening NOW and will continue to do so

Quote Originally Posted by DOOALI View Post
    DIDN'T think slavery had ended news to me it is still happening NOW and will continue to do so
    Quite right Dools
    Now tote that barge & lift that bale
    [complete the words if you wish]

Don't know if it will be covered but wealthy slave owning families [David Cameron's ancestors amongst them]
    including many of the british aristocracy were awarded compensation by the gov't of the time for "loss of earnings" would you believe
    It's odd but I will wager if you asked any student, contemporary or not if they were ever taught the details of the slave trade & after the answer would be no
    Look at any map of the world up to the 1950's and large parts of it are coloured pink, representing the British Empire. Exploitation of those countries created the wealth of the UK.. Not only the slavery in Jamaica and parts of Africa but the natural resources of many countries.I don't know about anyone else but there was a deafening silence at school in histery lessons about our exploitation of other countries we just concentrated on studying Kings and Queens. Even today the mayhem we caused around the world is hardly ever mentioned. Jacob Reece Moggs family wealth also came from the slave trade, its probably the reason he and the other right wing loons in the Tory party have such a jaundiced view of the EU. As far as they are concerned we superior to other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by KINDERSCOUT View Post
    Look at any map of the world up to the 1950's and large parts of it are coloured pink, representing the British Empire. Exploitation of those countries created the wealth of the UK.. Not only the slavery in Jamaica and parts of Africa but the natural resources of many countries.I don't know about anyone else but there was a deafening silence at school in histery lessons about our exploitation of other countries we just concentrated on studying Kings and Queens. Even today the mayhem we caused around the world is hardly ever mentioned. Jacob Reece Moggs family wealth also came from the slave trade, its probably the reason he and the other right wing loons in the Tory party have such a jaundiced view of the EU. As far as they are concerned we superior to other countries.
    My sentiments exactly KS
    One thing that does puzzle me however " that is what is your view on leave or remain as over the past weeks you seem to switch between the two"?

Jeez... I see that it was Cameron’s first cousin six times removed, who had some involvement in the slave trade. How desperate can you lads get? With that degree of separation, I suspect that you could find slavery links with a significant proportion of the population of the country.

Is there nowt that you won't try to make daft political points on?

Quite right Dools
    Now tote that barge & lift that bale
    [complete the words if you wish]
    Pick a bale of cotton

Try again Dools

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Jeez... I see that it was Cameron’s first cousin six times removed, who had some involvement in the slave trade. How desperate can you lads get? With that degree of separation, I suspect that you could find slavery links with a significant proportion of the population of the country.

Is there nowt that you won't try to make daft political points on?
    But you dozy prat it's the descendants of these people that still rule this country or hold some heavy clout & there's nowt daft about that
    Last edited by Exiletyke; 16-12-2018 at 09:06 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast