+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T Bizarre street names

O/T Bizarre street names

Enjoyed a family day out at the Yorkshire Wildlife Park yesterday, and as anyone who has been will probably know that to get to it, you have to drive down a road known as Warning Tongue Lane.
    When I got home I tried to find out the history of the street name but had no luck, all I found were house prices.
    But it got me thinking about strange Street names I've seen on my travels. There used to be a Butt Hole Lane somewhere near Conisbrough but after years of ridicule it's residents successfully managed to get the name changed to Button Hole Lane.

Pocket Handkerchief Lane makes me smile, there's a Wong Way somewhere in the borough too!

I found a website which covers a lot of ridiculous street names throughout Britain but rather than post it, I'd like to see what bizarre streets the good folk of MM have encountered themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    Enjoyed a family day out at the Yorkshire Wildlife Park yesterday, and as anyone who has been will probably know that to get to it, you have to drive down a road known as Warning Tongue Lane.
    When I got home I tried to find out the history of the street name but had no luck, all I found were house prices.
    But it got me thinking about strange Street names I've seen on my travels. There used to be a Butt Hole Lane somewhere near Conisbrough but after years of ridicule it's residents successfully managed to get the name changed to Button Hole Lane.

Pocket Handkerchief Lane makes me smile, there's a Wong Way somewhere in the borough too!

I found a website which covers a lot of ridiculous street names throughout Britain but rather than post it, I'd like to see what bizarre streets the good folk of MM have encountered themselves.
    Sheff Utd play at BumHole Lane

A couple from around these parts of Lincolnshire...... Fanny Hands Lane , Rotten Row

Plus one from near where I was raised.... Amen Corner

Amen Corner is actually quite a common street name. I've seen one in Newcastle, and in Tooting, on my way to football matches. How about Ha Ha Road in Woolwich?( not far from The Valley). A ha ha is a type of ditch, apparently.

Whip-ma-wop-ma-gate inYork.

Not a street name but a pub called The Cock Inn - well better in than out !

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    A couple from around these parts of Lincolnshire...... Fanny Hands Lane , Rotten Row
    I saw Rotten row a few weeks ago but haven’t seen the Fanny hand lane yet I don’t think, i don’t usually notice names unless I’m lost.

I think we had a thread up about street names

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Fanny hands lane,Ludford.I used to go that way to Sutton-on-sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    There used to be a Butt Hole Lane somewhere near Conisbrough but after years of ridicule it's residents successfully managed to get the name changed to Button Hole Lane.
    Butt Hole Road and they changed it to Archers Way.

There is still a Butthole Lane in Leicestershire.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast