+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better Weather Football

Better Weather Football

Quite a lot was going through my mind on Saturday while watching that tragic spectacle at Palmerston. Mainly what state will lower level Scottish football be in and Queens in particular in years to come . When us , the hard core, are gone , are the next generation going to stand out in such terrible weather in the middle of winter to watch Queens at home. I really don't think they are at all. Can you imagine this 10 or 20 years from now. I have long argued that there should be a break in the traditionally two coldest months December and January ( at least) and the season extended throughout May and June . Is Scottish football going to always be so pig headed towards playing through the winter and watching our national sport slowly die ?

The answer JR is yes............................yes it would be a good idea to follow the Norwegians and have a proper winter break, playing football into June................and yes, the powers that be will be so pig headed that they would rather the sport die out.

summer football defo has to be looked at again as the winters are getting worse ,and fans like nothing better than to watch there footy in nice days ,tee shirt days bigger crowds its a no brainer for me .

Link above: Most Scottish football clubs would consider switch to summer football. Unfortunately we were one of the clubs that would not consider it.
    Our chairman in the video.
    Last edited by JTulip; 17-12-2018 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Add more

I think in all fairness, Billy's comments are assuming that summer football infers playing in July!

May and June would be my suggestion, - and virtually no-one is on holiday then. Conversely, almost everyone is on holiday when the season commences with July and August being the two most popular months.

Added to the fact that more people would come out to watch football in the warmer months, - it would make sense to have evening matches in May and June, - as the clubs would save on floodlighting.

Was the Anglo Cup not played during the Summer back in the Seventies?

I've mentioned this before and will do so again as a little reminder. The day we beat Dundee United 3-0 at the tail end of last season was a glorious , sunny day. The tee shirted crowd were in a great mood watching their team as Spring came upon them and winter was left behind. Now , imagine more days like that in May and June ? Heaven knows , we could get some more OAP's in to the ground as they know they won't get frozen solid . These are the months people in general get out and about . As Jardi said, the chances of any of this getting considered is slim to none and sadly this subject won't go away and will be revisited every year to no avail.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 17-12-2018 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ALBERTZ_11 View Post
    Was the Anglo Cup not played during the Summer back in the Seventies?
    August / September - JRsLeftPeg is talking more about mid - summer

Winter break, that's two months extra wages clubs have to pay out for a start.

As for summer football in general, our attendances at the start and end of seasons when the weather is decent are just as rubbish if not more so. Search the board, always excuses as to events being on, people still on holiday etc etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)