+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Better Weather Football

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    I've mentioned this before and will do so again as a little reminder. The day we beat Dundee United 3-0 at the tail end of last season was a glorious , sunny day. The tee shirted crowd were in a great mood watching their team as Spring came upon them and winter was left behind. Now , imagine more days like that in May and June ? Heaven knows , we could get some more OAP's in to the ground as they know they won't get frozen solid . These are the months people in general get out and about . As Jardi said, the chances of any of this getting considered is slim to none and sadly this subject won't go away and will be revisited every year to no avail.

You remember the time up at Dunfermline when it was thst cold Tony Gervaise had to be substituted due to hypothermia JR. Around about 1985 / 86 ?

Quote Originally Posted by palmylad View Post
    You remember the time up at Dunfermline when it was thst cold Tony Gervaise had to be substituted due to hypothermia JR. Around about 1985 / 86 ?
    Already discussed on another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Quite a lot was going through my mind on Saturday while watching that tragic spectacle at Palmerston. Mainly what state will lower level Scottish football be in and Queens in particular in years to come . When us , the hard core, are gone , are the next generation going to stand out in such terrible weather in the middle of winter to watch Queens at home. I really don't think they are at all. Can you imagine this 10 or 20 years from now. I have long argued that there should be a break in the traditionally two coldest months December and January ( at least) and the season extended throughout May and June . Is Scottish football going to always be so pig headed towards playing through the winter and watching our national sport slowly die ?
    I fully understand the sentiment and logic of your post JR, but, I have difficulty with the winter break proposition around the inconsistency and unreliability of our climate.
    Indeed I might even question your assertion that December and January are the two coldest months of the winter. If asked to nominate I would probably suggest January and February. This is no criticism of your argument, simply an attempt to highlight how difficult it would be to allocate the most effective time slot for a Winter break.
    Days as extreme Saturday are, thankfully, infrequent and I believe we have already invested in the most effective means of combating the detrimental impact of Winter weather on our home games by installing the artificial surface (another subject of debate for some purists I fully accept).
    Maybe I am 'old school' in my outlook, but, I am far from convinced that encroaching on the summer period and it's inherent alternative attractions is the answer to the very real worry of diminishing support.

Sorry I have no positive alternatives to suggest.

its defo a catch 22 scenario ,id still favour watching in the better weather tho ,nothing worse than freezing your balls off at a footy match ,i remember about 3 years ago midweek match up in alloa where it was just bellow 0 couldnt feel my feet or hands ,couldnt even get the change out my pocket to buy a hot bovril lol .

Quote Originally Posted by shugg1e1919 View Post
    I fully understand the sentiment and logic of your post JR, but, I have difficulty with the winter break proposition around the inconsistency and unreliability of our climate.
    Indeed I might even question your assertion that December and January are the two coldest months of the winter. If asked to nominate I would probably suggest January and February. This is no criticism of your argument, simply an attempt to highlight how difficult it would be to allocate the most effective time slot for a Winter break.
    Days as extreme Saturday are, thankfully, infrequent and I believe we have already invested in the most effective means of combating the detrimental impact of Winter weather on our home games by installing the artificial surface (another subject of debate for some purists I fully accept).
    Maybe I am 'old school' in my outlook, but, I am far from convinced that encroaching on the summer period and it's inherent alternative attractions is the answer to the very real worry of diminishing support.

Sorry I have no positive alternatives to suggest.
    First of all I used the term 'better weather ' football rather than Summer football because Summer time can vary as you know All fair points Shug . I just think if you lined up all the positives and negatives for ' better weather ' football and playing through the winter, then the former would win through. As for deciding when the break should happen , then the records of when the worst weather hits could be used . Not perfect but the law of averages compiled through years of weather watching stats would mean there was a greater chance of missing the coldest, wettest weather than not. This is only my personal thoughts of if something aint working then it needs to change. Anyway, good reply and good to see reponses on this difficult topic that won't go away. I and I suspect the vast majority of here would watch Queens even if a cyclone was imminent ( ok took that too far) but moving forward , there needs to be an adjustment of some kind.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 18-12-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)