+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by Feck_the_Huns View Post
    The Union at Upperkirkgate, phaur Starbucks is now? Saw many a great band in there, whilst working ahin the bar.

Jan 1980, The Pretenders were number 1 with Brass in Pocket, and also number 1 in the Album charts. Folk thocht they would pull the plug on that gig. Did they fcuk. Folk literally hingin' fae the rafters.
    I did see bands at the Union but it was actually on the University Campus that I was unaware of...there was also bands playing at Bob's near the Robert Gordon's school. I saw Gun there (I don't like them)...

Oh, so you saw The Pretenders with James Honeyman-Scott and Pete Farndon. Honeyman-Scott would die on the same day as England played France in the 1982 World Cup after taking an allergic reaction to cocaine, whilst Farndon (who was sacked from The Pretenders the day before Honeyman-Scott died) OD'd in his bathtub early 1983.

I don't particularly like The Pretenders but I would have liked to have seen this classic line-up

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    First time I saw Simple Minds was the McRobert Hall

University Union had a top band playing almost every week

Then there was central ref, TC, Do School etc etc
    What's TC and Do School?

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    What's TC and Do School?
    Do school was the Cookery school, which is where the Kepplestone flats are now, off Anderson Drive

Phits TC - Techy College?

Dough School 😀

TC - teacher college in Hilton (flats now)

I saw chrissie and co that night

They weren’t that good
    It was mobbed though
    Their single album is the best collection of singles ever.

APB played their first ( outside Ellon) gig there when there was an audience of 5
    ( me and my mates)
    A right bunch of fine loons, they went on to conquer the States.
    Last edited by donsdaft; 19-12-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Feck_the_Huns View Post
    Do school was the Cookery school, which is where the Kepplestone flats are now, off Anderson Drive

Phits TC - Techy College?
    TC is where most folk did their day release I think, the DOE school at Kepplestone was a huge monstrosity that was well below the adjoining road, thankfully our esteemed chairman and some pals filled up the cavern to allow quaint town houses and some aesthetically pleasing tiny little modern flats to be built on its site that you hardly notice are there.

SF

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    There was gigs at the McRobert Hall? The Angelic Upstarts played the University of Aberdeen in 1977 and there was a riot? Is this what you're saying? I was unaware that bands played at the University of Aberdeen
    RGIT was up the hill and was still a Scottish Polytechnic at the time whose degrees were awarded by the Council for National Academic Awards. This changed with the removal of the binary line between polytechnics (not really a Scottish educational thing, where there were CFCs ie Centrally-Funded Colleges) in 1992 and RGIT became the Robert Gordon University, with its own quality-assured degree-awarding powers. As well as the Upstarts, I saw The Stranglers there, and a host of other bands too numerous to recall possibly due to unwise volumes of strong drink imbibed.

Aberdeen University? Where to start? The Clash and Subway Sect on the same bill on the 77 White Riot tour, The Saints, The Flamin Groovies, Alberto Y Los Trios Paranoias, The Undertones, UK Subs, Sutherland Brothers and Quiver when Arms of Mary was at #5 in the charts, The Blues Band, The Tyla Gang, The Pretenders, Wild Horses (Jimmy Bain and Brian Robertson) etc

FFS there are some kids outside singing Christmas carols. It's at times like this I wish I had a big dog.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Yaasss min, that's me off until 7th January.
    Boy at my work off to Budapest for Xmas. Any good pub recommendations (or places to watch the timothy game on Boxing Day).

He's been he's been

Merry Christmas everybody

Quote Originally Posted by sheepcrooky View Post
    Boy at my work off to Budapest for Xmas. Any good pub recommendations (or places to watch the timothy game on Boxing Day).

Sorry, only saw this just now.

Depends where he's staying but the game will be on at the Kaledonia in district 6

Let's face it, he'll have a choice of pubs, but pass on any questions.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast