+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Old Extinct Pubs in Aberdeen

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    That just made me realise, that in my near 44 years of exile in toon from God's Ain County, I canna recall ever having had a beer in ony of the Castlegate pubs apart fae Freelands/Blackfriars. Of course, booze-induced memory loss back in the drinking days may mean that I was a regular in Portals without realising it.
    Having been in Portals a few times myself (usually at the crack of dawn en route to hampden) I can imagine that maist of the regulars in there dinna realise they are regulars...

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    That just made me realise, that in my near 44 years of exile in toon from God's Ain County, I canna recall ever having had a beer in ony of the Castlegate pubs apart fae Freelands/Blackfriars. Of course, booze-induced memory loss back in the drinking days may mean that I was a regular in Portals without realising it.
    You mean The Royal Oak?

I was actually a regular-ish in the Freelands half lifetime ago...... a daytime regular.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiesd View Post
    Couple of haunts for me are now no longer

The Jug
    Malt Mill
    Short Mile
    Edwardian
    Egg and dart
    Torry Bar
    19th Hole
    Rosemount Bar
    Broadhill

Harbour is a sad state now. Nowt left.
    Best nights ever down there. Stagger or Birthday. Great times

All decent at one time or another
    A Harbour run used to be a giggle.
    Quick lap of the Castlegate, doon the back to Crazy Daisy's, if time permitted, Fittie, if nae Peep-Peeps for some quality accordion tunes fae Jackie Kilminster........then the home stretch......and intae toon.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiesd View Post
    Couple of haunts for me are now no longer

The Jug
    Malt Mill
    Short Mile
    Edwardian
    Egg and dart
    Torry Bar
    19th Hole
    Rosemount Bar
    Broadhill

Harbour is a sad state now. Nowt left.
    Best nights ever down there. Stagger or Birthday. Great times

All decent at one time or another
    I feel somewhat responsible for the demise of some of those.
    Lived above one and met Mrs Under in another.
    Yes I know - class you can't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Moog View Post
    Having been in Portals a few times myself (usually at the crack of dawn en route to hampden) I can imagine that maist of the regulars in there dinna realise they are regulars...
    The last time i was in Portals was before a friendly v Arbroath in 2012. We had a bus going down for a day oot

Got in, got pints, got a table, then got slapped in the face by a belt but nae by just anyone. A guy who had came out the toilet in just his scuds belt in hand and decided i was a good target. He was dealt with by a swift elbow to the chops from my pal who had just returned from the bog and had already been subjected to this state of a c@nt.He was ejected soon after still in just his scuds

Sadly missed then?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    The last time i was in Portals was before a friendly v Arbroath in 2012. We had a bus going down for a day oot

Got in, got pints, got a table, then got slapped in the face by a belt but nae by just anyone. A guy who had came out the toilet in just his scuds belt in hand and decided i was a good target. He was dealt with by a swift elbow to the chops from my pal who had just returned from the bog and had already been subjected to this state of a c@nt.He was ejected soon after still in just his scuds
    Yeah sorry about that, I think I rather overdid it the night before. Never did get my What Everyone Wants shell suit back either...

Yeah sorry about that, I think I rather overdid it the night before. Never did get my What Everyone Wants shell suit back either...
    I'll gie it a quick wash and get it right back to you, soz.

Must have been some come down later on as you were eed up to the max. Dinna ken fit you did to Jason in the bogs but the elbow in the jaw was most deserved for the belt alone

Why did you have a belt with a shell suit out of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by DonUnder View Post
    Pretty sure there was a Sunday League pub team sponsored by the Tanfield. When they were, inevitably, kicked out of the league they just moved along Gt. Northern to the next bar (Bob Lawarence's?) and gave the owner a 'sponsor us or we'll tan yer pub' ultimatum. Played against one of their incarnations and were 2:0 at half time - ended up losing 7:2 because they kicked the sh1te out of us. The referee was advised 'we ken far you bide ana'
    Ah want tae correct this story, but Ah canna mind how it wis that The Tanfield got their team back in the league.

It wisna as ye say tho, cos Bob Lawrence's and The Tanfield were the same bar at different times.

Bob Lawrence bought ower the Tanfield and changed the name.

Folks thought there might be a welcome change since the new owner wis an ex cop. Hopes were somewhat dashed tho when it was discovered that a shiτload o' drink and fags, robbed fae 'Bairdy's' the local grocer, was stashed under the coonter and gettin sold cheap in the bar

Re. the fitba team tho ... nae sure if it's true, but Ah did hear they had tae forfeit a game cos they couldna field enough players due tae a high number o' injuries tae regular players ..... all this on account o' an almighty fecht the night before involving a variety o' weapons and a busy night at A+E

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast