+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Harkins gone

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Mug, as well you know it, people pay to watch good players and characters. Thus people will still pay to listen to Gazza.

Just because there's a squad of decent minded people does not maketh people come out to watch them, - and another thing, even the hard core will not keep coming if there's nothing special to watch.

Like him or loath him, - Harkins was capable of doing something a wee bit different, - and I will definitely miss those little bursts of skill.

That being said, - if he had a disruptive influence on the rest of the squad,- then sadly the manager had no alternative but to let him go, - provided of course that he (the manager) was not the catalyst.

Gary Harkins > Guilty as charged.

Time to move on and forget about him.

I'd like to take people back to Johnson's era for a minute before we start blaming dropping crowd's all on Naysmith. We were hammering teams regularly and quite often by 5 goals in our promotion season. The thing is that it didn't have much positive effect on our crowds . This was a completely new situation for us as past good form always resulted in larger crowds and now our constant wins were having no effect . Something happened around 7 years ago where regulars stopped going for whatever reason and we need to either get them back or attract new fans.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 27-12-2018 at 11:03 AM.

Mug, as well you know it, people pay to watch good players and characters. Thus people will still pay to listen to Gazza.

Just because there's a squad of decent minded people does not maketh people come out to watch them, - and another thing, even the hard core will not keep coming if there's nothing special to watch.

Like him or loath him, - Harkins was capable of doing something a wee bit different, - and I will definitely miss those little bursts of skill.

That being said, - if he had a disruptive influence on the rest of the squad,- then sadly the manager had no alternative but to let him go, - provided of course that he (the manager) was not the catalyst.
    Of course people want to go and watch good players who excite. Sadly Harkins failed to live up to the hype. Yes the odd bit of skill but on the whole rather disappointing both in game changing moments and attitude.

You can flounce this up as much as you like but the truth is there is a large part of Queens support that come to games when there is nothing better to do or when they fancy it.

I asked earlier in the season would our support promotion and dross or mid table and cracking football.

The answer was promotion because they wanted to see a successful team.

We are 1 place outside the playoffs when many said bottom 3 this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug View Post
    Of course people want to go and watch good players who excite. Sadly Harkins failed to live up to the hype. Yes the odd bit of skill but on the whole rather disappointing both in game changing moments and attitude.

You can flounce this up as much as you like but the truth is there is a large part of Queens support that come to games when there is nothing better to do or when they fancy it.

I asked earlier in the season would our support promotion and dross or mid table and cracking football.

The answer was promotion because they wanted to see a successful team.

We are 1 place outside the playoffs when many said bottom 3 this season.

lol mug il take promotion with cracking football, i wouldnt like promotion,or midtable with dross football id take it tho just lol.,and if we get midtable with cracking football something in the side will be way wrong only getting midtable , and that would be a serious gripe for me .
    Last edited by Francis_begbie_HFC; 27-12-2018 at 02:46 PM.

all i can say to our manager is ,just let our skillful players of the leish more and let them do there stuff ,im sure we can mount a challenge if he does this .

I'm totally with you on this one Francis.

You only had to look at the falling crowds at Old Trafford to see that folk are not interested in going along to watch teams gong through the motions. Now that the 'Boring One' has gone the place is buzzing again.

Obviously we cannot expect the panache and skill of the English League, - but as I've said many times, as long as our players give 100%, - we can't ask for any more, - and if you can throw in a wee flash of genius from Stirling or Dobbie then that's a plus.

Harkins has gone.....why we might never know, - but I suspect it wasn't simply all down to his dubious temperament.

So as everyone keeps trying to say "it's water under the bridge" and aye it is, - but its critical that we don't quash flair and genius simply because we don't like or understand it.

Harkins signed an 18 month contract with Partick Thistle...

I'm totally with you on this one Francis.

You only had to look at the falling crowds at Old Trafford to see that folk are not interested in going along to watch teams gong through the motions. Now that the 'Boring One' has gone the place is buzzing again.

Obviously we cannot expect the panache and skill of the English League, - but as I've said many times, as long as our players give 100%, - we can't ask for any more, - and if you can throw in a wee flash of genius from Stirling or Dobbie then that's a plus.

Harkins has gone.....why we might never know, - but I suspect it wasn't simply all down to his dubious temperament.

So as everyone keeps trying to say "it's water under the bridge" and aye it is, - but its critical that we don't quash flair and genius simply because we don't like or understand it.

Gary Harkins has talent but unfortunately he’s a fat lazy waste of space with an attitude problem. Queens took a gamble with him and it didn’t work out when things didn’t go HIS way. Well done Queens for not taking any of his sh!t.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    I'd like to take people back to Johnson's era for a minute before we start blaming dropping crowd's all on Naysmith. We were hammering teams regularly and quite often by 5 goals in our promotion season. The thing is that it didn't have much positive effect on our crowds . This was a completely new situation for us as past good form always resulted in larger crowds and now our constant wins were having no effect . Something happened around 7 years ago where regulars stopped going for whatever reason and we need to either get them back or attract new fans.
    Iirc we were hitting roughly 1600 home fans in this division the years after we won promotion. Imo that's the benchmark. We get something like 1200 now on a good day.
    Our backing for the Newco vote put a few noses out of joint which was around 6 / 7 years ago.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)