+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparation for the Premier League!?

Preparation for the Premier League!?

You know those times, about 3am, when you can’t get back to sleep, and your restless mind turns to the trials and tribulations of your beloved team?

If you do, then you’ll have spent many sleepless nights in Leeds United purgatory…WAY TOO MANY! But tonight, at 3am, things for me are different. I can’t get back to sleep, not out of restlessness, but excitement, because my team is vanquishing each new trial, turning tribulations into celebrations!

We can all feel this is our year…in hushed tones we might even dare to speak it, but after successive last minute winners, and a seven game winning streak (in response to a 4-1 drubbing), we know that’s a marker of not just promotion contenders, but Champions.

West Brom, Borough, Villa, and Stoke were the clear favourites for promotion at the start of the season. They have by far the strongest squads. Only West Brom are still within touching distance. 12 points back to Borough, 15 to Villa, 17 to Stoke!! Sure, there are still 22 games to go, but we’d have to hit mid-table form, and the others hit automatic promotion form for them to claw back the points. None of them are that good and we definitely won’t be that bad….not with Bielsa in charge, injured players returning, youngsters getting stronger, and the January window approaching…which is where my question to everyone originates.

If the management team at Leeds are starting to believe that promotion is a likely outcome, will that radically change how they approach the winter window?
    Will they need to seek players of true premiership quality? Will quality players see our league position and so now consider talking to Leeds (particularly those whose contracts are up this year (especially Milner))? Can we now seek high quality ‘loan to buy’ options, like Wolves did?

Bielsa was asked in today’s presser about whether he would replace Saiz? He answered that he doesn’t talk in hypotheticals, however, I’ve noticed that when it’s a definite ‘NO’, he answers directly. So maybe, just maybe, this winter window will be a busy one. Has our incredible form launched us into unexpected and uncharted territory… ‘Preparation for the Premier League’?

Well I can respond given the different time zone....and firstly I suggest you take 2 panadol and lie back down for awhile pal. Not even game to think about whether they will be eyeing PL players in this upccoming transfer window. Start focusing on that, and the wheels will probably fall off! Understand where you are coming from and the forethought....but reckon we need to get another 10 or so games further in first, and still be where we are. Norwich and WBA are both still breathing close to us. And Norwich seem to be snatching late winners also...so they are probably saying this must be their season too!

It is almost ironic that the majority of the players who get a team promoted end up out of a job. Gayle at Newcastle comes to mind. As we get closer to the finish line a big part of Bielsa job will be getting such players to maintain their effort.

The title of the post really is tempting fate.
    Remember, this is Leeds United.
    We can blow things at the mere thought of a problem.
    To call it premature is a vast exageration.
    But i admire your optimism and hope our faces escape the baskets of eggs which are being stockpiled.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyni View Post
    The title of the post really is tempting fate.
    Remember, this is Leeds United.
    We can blow things at the mere thought of a problem.
    To call it premature is a vast exageration.
    But i admire your optimism and hope our faces escape the baskets of eggs which are being stockpiled.
    What billy said.

I am more inclined to think that we need to ensure we have enough in the locker to gain promotion out of this league first, as other people have said there are still a lot of points left to play for. Also thinking that the team spirit is really important and its making a big difference in recent matches where we have snatched points that perhaps in other seasons would have alluded us. Do we want to take a chance and disrupt this?

If we do make any signings, I think they will most likely be loans with a view to taking on people that have championship experience. For me a Goalkeeper is a must, even if it is just to keep BPF honest.

If we do succeed in achieving promotion, I actually can't see Biesla ripping up this team ready for the premiership. I think it is far more likely that 1 or 2 people will be added in the summer and the current set of players given a chance to impress.

If Izzy Brown ever looked like being fit we wouldn't need someone to replace Saiz but the fact he has picked up another injury and is generally injury prone makes me think we need someone.

If nothing else it is back up for Pablo because if he gets injured I really struggle to see where goals would come from as he creates or scores a lot of our goals.

If we can get someone like that in and Brown gets fit then we are even stronger and have the depth to cope with any injuries if we don't and Pablo picks up a knock/Brown never gets his fitness back I'd worry about us winning games.

Scared to even talk about it yet. I know the stats on teams in first place at Christmas but few championship teams have tanked as bad as we've have in the second half of the season the last decade. It's often been because we had an owner selling players, players bailing on us mentally or incredibly bad squad or tactical management.

we have a replacement for Saiz. A brilliant youngster named Clark that prem teams are already sniffing around. what better way to lock him up mentally that to tell him "he's it" and let him go out there and prove it. what cast off or has been are we going to get that has more prem potential that he does. A vote of confidence could lock him up for next year if we go up. a no vote ensures we'll lose him.

team chemistry is key and we have it. even minor changes can have big impacts. some of the has beens that have been floated in the rumor mill are sure to cause issues.

we do have a need at keep. I think BPF can do it but we have no cover and no competition for him. MB makes everyone earn their time every game but BPF.

Let's just look at the next game and then the next one and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Scared to even talk about it yet. I know the stats on teams in first place at Christmas but few championship teams have tanked as bad as we've have in the second half of the season the last decade. It's often been because we had an owner selling players, players bailing on us mentally or incredibly bad squad or tactical management.

we have a replacement for Saiz. A brilliant youngster named Clark that prem teams are already sniffing around. what better way to lock him up mentally that to tell him "he's it" and let him go out there and prove it. what cast off or has been are we going to get that has more prem potential that he does. A vote of confidence could lock him up for next year if we go up. a no vote ensures we'll lose him.

team chemistry is key and we have it. even minor changes can have big impacts. some of the has beens that have been floated in the rumor mill are sure to cause issues.

we do have a need at keep. I think BPF can do it but we have no cover and no competition for him. MB makes everyone earn their time every game but BPF.
    What he said x100.

We don't need a "signature" signing, we need continuity, consistency and that team spirit that has been lacking (even when in past season we had the odd purple patch).

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)