+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Loanees

I personally think we need at least 1 central midfielder who can go straight into the first team as Ryan Wintle is struggling at the moment, hopefully Jones can kick on after his goal today and Green stays fit. Up front a quality striker would be good we should have signed Maynard instead of Miller. At the back we look not bad and Ray is doing Ok even though I am not his greatest fan. The biggest worry is the failure of academy to produce anything more than average league 2 players not what we pour money into it for and for me somebody needs to make the decision to downgrade sooner rather than later. The board also needs to work out how we can increase the first team budget by at least 500000 a year for the future as the current budget is laughable.

I think Walker has been recalled to try and get Wrexham or somebody else to put in a bid. I don't think we will see him in an Alex shirt again. If he had stayed out on loan, then he would have moved on a free at the end of the season. Alexmick - how many of those 30+ appearances were in midfield -very few I think. And midfield is the area that he is doing so well for Wrexham.

Seems Walker is having a medical at Shrewsbury. They are also going to loan him back to Wrexham. If he's good enough for Shrewsbury, then why isn't he good enough for us??? I think we'll regret this.

Artell does not like him, I don’t like Artell arrogant git can I get rid of him.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Seems Walker is having a medical at Shrewsbury. They are also going to loan him back to Wrexham. If he's good enough for Shrewsbury, then why isn't he good enough for us??? I think we'll regret this.
    Walker is a decent player obviously Shrewsbury manager can see that, he signed him for Wrexham. he would benefit us in out pitiful midfield but Artell has not handled the Walker situation very well and it seems there relationship is not good, Artell has not hid the fact that he wanted Walker out of the club even though he could improve the team, probably says more about our management team than Walker. It seems he will play the remainder of the season with Wrexham, help get them back in the league then move onto league 1 so it could out for Walker and I doubt they will pay us anything for his services. If he's good enough for league 1 and not for us I think that question comes down to Artell.

Shrewsbury have paid an undisclosed fee for Walker, further evidence that we no longer need a class 2 academy as we can get young players from other clubs and further develop them for sale to a higher division club. Do you see anybody knocking down Artells door for any of our academy products ? No is the answer you are looking for. Next cab off the rank looks likes Raynes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    Shrewsbury have paid an undisclosed fee for Walker, further evidence that we no longer need a class 2 academy as we can get young players from other clubs and further develop them for sale to a higher division club. Do you see anybody knocking down Artells door for any of our academy products ? No is the answer you are looking for. Next cab off the rank looks likes Raynes.
    I really doubt we’ve made any profit from Walker, maybe just covered the fee we paid for him in the first place. Not really “developed” him have we? I’d also see the main driver behind the Walker situation being Walker himself who I doubt is that keen to come back to a club where he was barely played and used out of position. Saying that , Artell clearly wants to play a pressing midfield and I doubt Walker can do that.

That Raynes is leaving next is a good thing, he’s looked painfully slow every time he’s played and almost every time we’ve thrown away a lead late on Raynes has been on the pitch. We’ve not developed him into a slow defender.

Raynes has turned out to be a short term fix for the start of last season when George was out for several months and we needed experienced cover. He did OK for. Few matches, then came that match against Carlisle and he has looked poor ever since.

That being the case, Artell has done the right thing in not playing him or the player could have activated a contract extension.

I disagree that Walker didn’t get chances. He played over 30 times last season, admittedly not always in his favoured position, but the shortage of CHs forced the manager’s hand and he looked fine in that position, certainly better than Raynes. However, he certainly didn’t suit the way the manager wanted to play (whatever that was!) and was self evidently an unhappy bunny. He certainly is a poor advertisement for taking other club’s rejects and developing them further. Wintle joined at age 16 or 17 and he and the Academy youngsters like Lowery, Pickering and Kirk have made far more progress over the past 18 months - and are almost certainly on a lower salary than Walker. Up the Academy!!! (Wink).

I know it is plain for everybody to see that I am not a big fan of the current academy model and I respect what anybody has to say which ever side of the argument they sit on, but how many of the supposed next academy good things started in last nights humiliating result ? I think it strengthens my argument that we are producing poor quality players nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    I know it is plain for everybody to see that I am not a big fan of the current academy model and I respect what anybody has to say which ever side of the argument they sit on, but how many of the supposed next academy good things started in last nights humiliating result ? I think it strengthens my argument that we are producing poor quality players nowadays.
    And Nantwich had Danny Glover playing, he’s too old for this , surely?

When we were in the championship I remember us getting spanked by Northwich in that cup. It meant nothing then and it means nothing now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast