+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loanees

Loanees

DA said on the OS yesterday that decisions need to be made on loanees, And I just wondered what the consensus of opinion was on our current loanees. For me Whelan has done ok for Crewe and would be worth keeping until the end if the season (parent club permitting) O’Connor for me a little more tricky has not really performed consistently enough in what I have seen so would probably look to send Back and try to get somebody else in (maybe his lottery win has made him lose some focus). Brad Walker although I think he would add some competition to our midfield I think would benefit for remaining at Wrexham were hopefully they will end up with a successful season and we will see a rejuvenated Brad for the Alex next season. I welcome thoughts from the Forum.

I don't think that you will see Walker in an Alex shirt next season Wartman, he's out of contract at the end of this season and has made his preferences public. Hopefully we will see him line up against us, as that would mean Wrexham will have made it back into the league, which would mean another two tasty fixtures for us. By the way I am in the camp of him rather being with us still at the moment, as I think that he has plenty of different qualities that we miss dreadfully at times, non more so these last few weeks when we have been without Greeny.

I would certainly send O’Connor back and probably Whelan too. Pixie and Perry are both ahead of them and Hunt and even Nolan can provide cover. I would look to replace them with a CH so that Raynes doesn’t have to be called on and maybe a striker. We don’t need anything in midfield, as usual, and think that bringing Walker back would be a waste of everyone’s time. We may have to take a hit on the transfer fee, but I don’t think we paid a lot for him; alternatively he could provide cover at CH, but I don’t think he’d be up for it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Me For Crewe View Post
    I don't think that you will see Walker in an Alex shirt next season Wartman, he's out of contract at the end of this season and has made his preferences public. Hopefully we will see him line up against us, as that would mean Wrexham will have made it back into the league, which would mean another two tasty fixtures for us. By the way I am in the camp of him rather being with us still at the moment, as I think that he has plenty of different qualities that we miss dreadfully at times, non more so these last few weeks when we have been without Greeny.
    I have said on numerous occasions that Walker has little or no pace, and the number of people who, wrongly, say we have no pace in our team would not have wanted Walker back. That said, I would be tempted to either recall him to let him compete with the others although he would obviously be well down the pecking order right now, or make him available for transfer. Bearing in mind Green is fit now and looking good, and Jones and Wintle are playing well and we also have Finney, Dale and Lowery in the wings waiting for an opportunity I guess it may be best if he was listed and then if Wrexham want him they can buy him. But a decision has to be made pretty soon I would suggest

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    DA said on the OS yesterday that decisions need to be made on loanees, And I just wondered what the consensus of opinion was on our current loanees. For me Whelan has done ok for Crewe and would be worth keeping until the end if the season (parent club permitting) O’Connor for me a little more tricky has not really performed consistently enough in what I have seen so would probably look to send Back and try to get somebody else in (maybe his lottery win has made him lose some focus). Brad Walker although I think he would add some competition to our midfield I think would benefit for remaining at Wrexham were hopefully they will end up with a successful season and we will see a rejuvenated Brad for the Alex next season. I welcome thoughts from the Forum.
    I would return both full backs to their parent clubs as neither have looked anything special. Whelan has looked marginally better than O'Connor but not sufficiently to want to keep. I would be looking to recruit a goal scorer, and possibly some cover at centre half given that Perry has proved to be an excellent right back

i agree that a decision has to be made about Walker. I think Raynes is finished but George may move on and I wouldn't be surprised if a move was made for Perry. Despite his ability to be Captain Marvel, I think Greenie may become more vulnerable to injury and so we will need some cover in midfield. Finney isn't going to make it and Lowery has potential but is totally dependent on Artell's view of him. So... how well covered are we? Walker cannot play full back. He can play defensive midfield or centre half, which are positions we may need to cover. He can also chip in with goals. I'm not sure where his head is re: playing for the Alex again but if he has any professionalism about him, that should not have much bearing. I liked him when he first came but he clearly lost heart after a while. I have to confess to not knowing what's best. Do we sell him in January or run the risk of him wanting to leave at the end of his contract?

Sell him cheap with a buy on clause. I am disappointed it didn't work out for him

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    i agree that a decision has to be made about Walker. I think Raynes is finished but George may move on and I wouldn't be surprised if a move was made for Perry. Despite his ability to be Captain Marvel, I think Greenie may become more vulnerable to injury and so we will need some cover in midfield. Finney isn't going to make it and Lowery has potential but is totally dependent on Artell's view of him. So... how well covered are we? Walker cannot play full back. He can play defensive midfield or centre half, which are positions we may need to cover. He can also chip in with goals. I'm not sure where his head is re: playing for the Alex again but if he has any professionalism about him, that should not have much bearing. I liked him when he first came but he clearly lost heart after a while. I have to confess to not knowing what's best. Do we sell him in January or run the risk of him wanting to leave at the end of his contract?
    I don't think its Walkers head that is the problem, it's Artell's head that is the problem, he obviously doesn't want Walker around which is strange considering Wrexham wants to keep him and now we hear that Shrewsbury are interested in his services, not bad for a player who has basically been kicked into touch by Artell. I know a couple of friends who watch Wrexham most weeks and they cannot understand why there standout player has been loaned out by Crewe. We know our midfield is not good enough Jones and Wintle have been dire all season and now its seems Green is injured again, we have problems. Walker is obviously more than good enough, but he could soon be playing at a higher level with Shrewsbury, but he is the answer to our midfield problems, or at least he would be if we had any other manager than Artell. I know some individuals, in the minority who don't think he has the pace to make it yet he consistently puts in the work with Wrexham every week and is the stand out player so much so that he is getting a lot of attention from bigger clubs than Crewe. No doubt these same individuals think Jones has that pace, despite being dire, so I don't think anyone should take note of any negative comments they make about Walker who is a more accomplished player than Jones or Wintle. I don't see anyone cueing up for either of there services, So we look like losing out on a player who would give us the physical presence we need in midfield because of Artell even though he has proved he is better than what we have got. If you were Walker would you want to come back to Crewe, probably not I would imagine, but he knows he is destined for better things, whether that's at Wrexham, who look like they will be a league team next season or as has been rumoured Shrewsbury, thanks Artell.

Artell has confirmed loanees returning to parent clubs and Walker is returning to Crewe can only see that being short term before being farmed out again. How do we improve this poor squad with a dreadful budget and what has to change for the club to become competitive again ?

Well if Walker is returning, then it is entirely up to him to show an interest, knuckle down and start wanting to get back into the first team. Artell has always said that he only wants players who want to give their all and play for our club. Clearly, judging by reports earlier in the season, Walker had become disenchanted with the club, although he had plenty of opportunities to show his worth (over 30 appearances), so he cannot complain. From what I saw of him, I thought he was a big disappointment at L2 level and cannot really see him playing at a higher standard. As for Wrexham. There is no certainty that they will achieve promotion from non-league. It is a tall order for them to go up automatically, with both Orient and Salford in key positions. Only one automatic place available makes it difficult. Then there are the play-offs and they are a complete lottery. So, as I stated before, the best thing Walker can now do, is earn his corn at the club who put enough faith in him to bring him here from non-league Hartlepool, and play his way back into Artell's plans. We shall see what he is made of. Being a footballer is a very privileged position nowadays.
    Last edited by alexmick; 05-01-2019 at 09:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast