+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Loanees

Obviously our manager thinks it means something as he made reference to this on OS, he wanted the young players to have a good run in this cup playing against men and clearly they are well short. So you might think it means nothing but if you were looking at it I am very worried that our football league status is on borrowed time, we have far to many poor academy players in the first team and that will only end bad ways. I am fairly certain that we will get no offers for any of our academy products in the January window.

On another point I am concerned that our manager thinks Lowery and Finney are ahead of Walker, who has just moved to Shrewsbury, he was always employed by the board as a yes man and to carry on trotting out the academy rubbish. I don’t know �� how anybody can see anything other than non league football for messrs Lowery and Finney hopelessly short of football league standard and there are not on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobstopper View Post
    Walker is a decent player obviously Shrewsbury manager can see that, he signed him for Wrexham. he would benefit us in out pitiful midfield but Artell has not handled the Walker situation very well and it seems there relationship is not good, Artell has not hid the fact that he wanted Walker out of the club even though he could improve the team, probably says more about our management team than Walker. It seems he will play the remainder of the season with Wrexham, help get them back in the league then move onto league 1 so it could out for Walker and I doubt they will pay us anything for his services. If he's good enough for league 1 and not for us I think that question comes down to Artell.
    It all depends if Walker makes the grade at Shrewsbury and in the higher league. I am not convinced that he is good enough even to play in L2. He didn't prove anything for me when he played over 30 times last season. But, that remains to be seen as because he is going back to non-league football (below our standard, by the way) for the rest of this season, we will have to reserve judgment on that one. Wrexham may not even make it back into the Football League, as it looks very much like Salford and Orient are in the driving seat for that one automatic place. The play-offs, as we know, are a complete lottery. We can answer the question you raise concerning Artell next season.

It’s not just about can he make it as a league 1 player , it’s about can he make it playing the style we want him to play. I don’t believe he can, that doesn’t make him a bad player or us idiots for letting him go. It’s like wearing a bow tie with a t-shirt. It doesn’t mean the bow ties not nice , it just means it doesn’t go.

I think it’s more than fair to question the signing of Walker in the first place. If we signed him to play centre back why didn’t we sign a centre back, if we signed him for midfield we should’ve scouted him enough to know he’s not mobile enough for our style.

Also , you might hate the youth system and if we had a supportive owner it might be worth debating. We don’t, so it’s not.

It is the only thing keeping us in league football. I don’t know how many times this has to be explained.

I don’t hate the youth system I just don’t think we can afford at cat 2 especially as you say without a generous owner to bank roll us. The model used to work it doesn’t now and the fact we don’t have a generous owner is all the more reason to review what we are spending and what we are getting from that. At the moment all the academy is producing is bodies for the first team who are not very good and are not going to generate any transfer revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    I don’t hate the youth system I just don’t think we can afford at cat 2 especially as you say without a generous owner to bank roll us. The model used to work it doesn’t now and the fact we don’t have a generous owner is all the more reason to review what we are spending and what we are getting from that. At the moment all the academy is producing is bodies for the first team who are not very good and are not going to generate any transfer revenue.
    It’s not about a “generous” owner, it’s about an owner that isn’t just seemingly leaching off the club.
    Let’s say that dropping the academy a level saves us 100k, given our owners current behaviour (and bare in mind we almost took him to court this summer for taking money out of the club) what makes you think that the money would be available for the first team?

Quote Originally Posted by thnhouse View Post
    It’s not about a “generous” owner, it’s about an owner that isn’t just seemingly leaching off the club.
    Let’s say that dropping the academy a level saves us 100k, given our owners current behaviour (and bare in mind we almost took him to court this summer for taking money out of the club) what makes you think that the money would be available for the first team?
    Why won't the club come and tell us what the costs and benefits are to maintain a Cat2 or to downgrade it?

When I looked at Walsall a couple of years ago they had (have?) a Cat3 and they were paying around 150K and the FA/PL double that amount. So around £450K in total. That compares with us contributing 760K and the FA/PL contributing what? Over a million? We don't know but the whole point is Cat3 IS cheaper to run than Cat2 and that means we save money by doing so and on the face of it that surely means more money for the first team.

Downgrading does NOT mean we won't have an academy as most clubs do even in the National League, it means we do it we want to do it like Dario used to do it before being told by the FA and how many coaches we need etc etc.

But the Board must know when the money runs out as we cannot possibly be spending £760K per season and not selling players to repay that but the other valid point is a 1.5 Million pounds academy producing players fit for the PL? The Championship? League 1 then? OK league 2?

Over to the Board? And the fans who pay their money each week? Play like we did against Lincoln and possibly there is the answer but the question then becomes why can't we play like that more often or do they just get physched up when we play top of the league?
    Last edited by MikeSB; 11-01-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    Why won't the club come and tell us what the costs and benefits are to maintain a Cat2 or to downgrade it?
    You didn’t answer my question.

What makes you think that if there was a saving it would get put into the first team?

Quote Originally Posted by alexmick View Post
    It all depends if Walker makes the grade at Shrewsbury and in the higher league. I am not convinced that he is good enough even to play in L2. He didn't prove anything for me when he played over 30 times last season. But, that remains to be seen as because he is going back to non-league football (below our standard, by the way) for the rest of this season, we will have to reserve judgment on that one. Wrexham may not even make it back into the Football League, as it looks very much like Salford and Orient are in the driving seat for that one automatic place. The play-offs, as we know, are a complete lottery. We can answer the question you raise concerning Artell next season.
    You have already expressed that view I think Walker has already proved he has a role to play, although we will have to see him playing league 1 football to prove that, his manager has no doubts, I would think his view of a player is a little more balanced than Artell who clearly has his favourites, of which Walker was not one. I know you want him to fail and I get the impression you don't like the idea of a Welsh team having any success, personally I think that would be a good local game for us, better than Salford or Orient. I wish Walker and Wrexham well, you Alexmick obviously don't and that is down to you.

Let’s not pretend that Dave is the only manager to have had favourites, if indeed that is the case. Dario didn’t select Rodders as often as most of us would have liked and Davis clearly had something against Max Clayton. There are a large number of supporters who felt his son was selected more because of his surname than his ability.

Fans also have their favourites, Walker wasn’t one of mine either but I certainly wish him well for the future. We will have to agree to disagree about his time at the Alex - I think he had chances and failed to take them. I don’t agree that he was a poor signing as he showed some ability at times, but not consistently enough and appeared to show a lack of willingness to work on his shortcomings.

Maybe he just didn’t fit in or feel comfortable at the club - that can happen to the best of players; Torres couldn’t stop scoring for Liverpool yet when he moved to London he couldn’t hit a cows ass with a banjo. Either way, he’s gone and that’s an end to it really - all parties seem happy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123