+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just looking at the Premier League table

Just looking at the Premier League table

First thing that comes to my mind when I see it is what's the Fu(king point. Seriously what do us and any team below the top 6 compete for? Basically just a spot in the league is the answer. I know it's always been kinda like it with certain teams but not to this extent. Not one single team outside the top 6 can get anywhere near them financially. Look I'm not stupid and know every league will have its lesser clubs or whatever. But to play season after season in the vein hope of maybe getting a Fu(king Europa League spot is boring and basically pointless. Then we can't even have cup runs incase they mess up our goal of Fu(king survival in the League. Survival shouldn't be a goal for any team but it is for so many. But how is that an enjoyable season for any fan? Liverpool are currently on 54 points a lot of teams won't even get near that from the full season. They are 44 points above Huddersfield who won't even pick up 44 points this season. We as Newcastle fans have watched 20 Fu(king games so far and only enjoyed watching 4 wins. This is not a sport anymore it's just one horrible business and I can't believe I'm saying this but can sort of see why Ashley runs the club the way he does. Yes it's sh1t but if we're staying in that league why would he splash millions on players? What would that actually do? It'd make us a top 8-12 sort of team. Which yeah is better than a relegation battle but still competing for nothing.

We could try in cup competitions if the fat tw@t would invest in the team.

For those top teams, it's all about expectation.

For everybody else, it's all about hope. And hope can keep you going.

With Ashley, there is no hope.

Forgot about competing when this Ashley fella turned up

Quote Originally Posted by toonfalifekevbrown View Post
    Forgot about competing when this Ashley fella turned up
    I wonder if we'd of done well when he being a fan whether he'd off caught the bug and been a different owner.

Agree we have no hope whilst he's in charge though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    For those top teams, it's all about expectation.

For everybody else, it's all about hope. And hope can keep you going.

With Ashley, there is no hope.
    ^^^ This teams HOPE to be the next Leicester and have that perfect season.

The frustrating thing is that, because of the quality of manager we have, we didn't need to spend hundreds of millions to be in a good place now. A couple of good purchases each season that Rafa has been here would've been enough. You finish 7th instead of 17th, it's 11 million quid, plus what the club earns elsewhere and re investing sold player money - it could've been so very different.

If you're not worried about relegation, you can have a go at the cups and with a reasonable mid table squad, there is always the chance that the stars can align (as they did for Leicester) when you have manager of this stature and quality.

I think it's too risky to invest like Everton did but when you look at what Ashley has done it makes you wonder why there isn't some kind of policing from the Premier League. Under their stewardship the league is being polarised and not being made more competitive - or maybe they want the top 6 to steam roller everyone else?
    Last edited by toptoon; 31-12-2018 at 09:37 AM.

We are just there to make money for Ashley .. Simple as .
    No ambition , dreadful style of play , finishing 17th is considered success.
    A million miles away from even Leicester or Everton , who even themselves are making up the numbers.
    We are choking teams with mass defending , some atrocious games, sickening to watch , in our attempt to finish 17th and not get relegated .
    The reason being Ashley .

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    The frustrating thing is that, because of the quality of manager we have, we didn't need to spend hundreds of millions to be in a good place now. A couple of good purchases each season that Rafa has been here would've been enough. You finish 7th instead of 17th, it's 11 million quid, plus what the club earns elsewhere and re investing sold player money - it could've been so very different.

If you're not worried about relegation, you can have a go at the cups and with a reasonable mid table squad, there is always the chance that the stars can align (as they did for Leicester) when you have manager of this stature and quality.

I think it's too risky to invest like Everton did but when you look at what Ashley has done it makes you wonder why there isn't some kind of policing from the Premier League. Under their stewardship the league is being polarised and not being made more competitive - or maybe they want the top 6 to steam roller everyone else?
    Great post. That last bit...I reckon there's more than just an element of truth in it. Look at the decisions the top teams often get in their favour, look at the way Rafa gets a huge fine for mentioning a Ref by name before a game but Guardiola gets a ticking off for the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie_Jacko View Post
    First thing that comes to my mind when I see it is what's the Fu(king point. Seriously what do us and any team below the top 6 compete for? Basically just a spot in the league is the answer. I know it's always been kinda like it with certain teams but not to this extent. Not one single team outside the top 6 can get anywhere near them financially. Look I'm not stupid and know every league will have its lesser clubs or whatever. But to play season after season in the vein hope of maybe getting a Fu(king Europa League spot is boring and basically pointless. Then we can't even have cup runs incase they mess up our goal of Fu(king survival in the League. Survival shouldn't be a goal for any team but it is for so many. But how is that an enjoyable season for any fan? Liverpool are currently on 54 points a lot of teams won't even get near that from the full season. They are 44 points above Huddersfield who won't even pick up 44 points this season. We as Newcastle fans have watched 20 Fu(king games so far and only enjoyed watching 4 wins. This is not a sport anymore it's just one horrible business and I can't believe I'm saying this but can sort of see why Ashley runs the club the way he does. Yes it's sh1t but if we're staying in that league why would he splash millions on players? What would that actually do? It'd make us a top 8-12 sort of team. Which yeah is better than a relegation battle but still competing for nothing.
    .. Spot on analysis mate .. And what makes it worse is that the players are all a bunch of prima donnas who fall over if a fly lands on their arm. And you can't event tackle anymore, you just have to hold a line and hope one of the opposition miss-judges a pass before they fall over you leg ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)