+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 'Warriors ' who have worn the blue shirt

'Warriors ' who have worn the blue shirt

No, not Stenhousemuir players , I'm talking about those players that maybe haven't got that much finesse but would and have run through 'brick walls' for Queens. The recent talk of Doyle got me thinking about this theme and he would - for me- come into this category. I'll never forget his performance at centre half against St.Johnstone for us. Clearly badly hurt early on , he manfully kept playing, throwing himself into challenges when most would have been looking to get subbed. A heroic performance that was ruined by Harkins smart ass back heel getting intercepted and Saints going straight up the park and hitting the winner -----Another one was Steven Bowey. I remember - at Palmerston- one day him winning the ball on our by line. I kept my eyes on him and in what seemed like 10 secs he was surging into our opponents box when we quickly counter attacked. Admittedly, I didn't think Bowser was the best player but if his desire could be bottled and sold , then this product would have a premium price . ----- One more was Stephen 'Marvo' Mallan. Was as capable of some extraordinary two yard misses as rattling in some thunderbolts from far out. His second touch was often a tackle , but boy, he was a hard man. One of the last things I read about him was that 3 or 4 guys tried to 'jump' him in the car park of a Junior Ground post match . Even with 3 or 4 v 1 it was probably odds of 50-50. ------- Anyway, enough of my ramblings , let's hear about some of those characters from bygone years ?
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 31-12-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    No, not Stenhousemuir players , I'm talking about those players that maybe haven't got that much finesse but would and have run through 'brick walls' for Queens. The recent talk of Doyle got me thinking about this theme and he would - for me- come into this category. I'll never forget his performance at centre half against St.Johnstone for us. Clearly badly hurt early on , he manfully kept playing, throwing himself into challenges when most would have been looking to get subbed. A heroic performance that was ruined by Harkins smart ass back heel getting intercepted and Saints going straight up the park and hitting the winner -----Another one was Steven Bowey. I remember - at Palmerston- one day him winning the ball on our by line. I kept my eyes on him and in what seemed like 10 secs he was surging into our opponents box when we quickly counter attacked. Admittedly, I didn't think Bowser was the best player but if his desire could be bottled and sold , then this product would have a premium price . ----- One more was Stephen 'Marvo' Mallan. Was as capable of some extraordinary two yard misses as rattling in some thunderbolts from far out. His second touch was often a tackle , but boy, he was a hard man. One of the last things I read about him was that 3 or 4 guys tried to 'jump' him in the car park of a Junior Ground post match . Even with 3 or 4 v 1 it was probably odds of 50-50. ------- Anyway, enough of my ramblings , let's hear about some of those characters from bygone years ?
    What about Steve McKenna. He wasn’t scared to put the boot in.

Iain McChesney for me, he has given longer service to Queen of the South as a footballer than any other player in the club’s history. Queen’s enjoyed the benefit of McChesney’s dedication and on field versatility in a playing career lasting 21 years. After hanging up his boots, ‘Ches’ has continued to serve the club in a variety of roles. He is in my eyes a true Queens warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Truthhurts View Post
    Iain McChesney for me, he has given longer service to Queen of the South as a footballer than any other player in the club’s history. Queen’s enjoyed the benefit of McChesney’s dedication and on field versatility in a playing career lasting 21 years. After hanging up his boots, ‘Ches’ has continued to serve the club in a variety of roles. He is in my eyes a true Queens warrior.
    Next to Tommy Bryce (mark 2) and Sir Stephen my all - time favourite player is John (Father) Murphy 1959 - 67 an old - fashioned wing half who imo was the hardest, toughest player ever to pull on the Royal Blue shirt of the Doonhamers.
    Even scored the winner against Celtic at Parkhead on one occasion.

Chopper Dickson wasn't shy at getting stuck in.

Stephen McKenna, how could I forget him ?

Billy McLaren... another that wasn't feart to get tore in and mix it for the SuperSouth.

Kevin Hetherington always wore his heart on his sleeve at centre back for us.
    Who can forget his opening goal charging through a ruck of defenders at Palmerston against Dunfermline in the 3-1 victory that virtually clinched our promotion in the 1985-86 season.

Georgie Giro Cloy

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)