+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Preston North End Post Match Thoughts

My last game for a while and i thought in the first 20 it was looking ominous. Great goal and two good subs at half time and a real battling performance. Not great for the ticker but brilliant win.

Great work from Rodak, and a bit of luck, kept it at 0-0 for the first 40 mins, then a great free kick goal from Vaulks. Warney made decisive substitutions at the interval - replacing the ineffective Palmer and Taylor with the much better Forde and Newell. The fact that Wood and Raggett had looked too slow in the first half and had both been booked was a concern... but we suddenly started playing proper football. Williams missed a sitter as usual, but then Newell set up the perfect cross for Smithy to nod in. Then we sat too deep, let Preston score, and we conceded several corners, scrambled the ball off the goal-line, etc.. Our luck held out, but Warney's timewasting tactics didn't do us any favours.

Good performances from Rodak, Smithy, Vaulks (if you ignore some of the passing), Newell (2nd half) and Wiles. The latter being a source of optimism as he played well and kept going strong for the whole match. If he can keep up that standard he will be a permanent fixture in the Millers first team
    Last edited by mikemiller; 01-01-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Does 5 bookings still mean we get fined?

Edit: just checked rules it can be £25K for 6 or more in one game.
    Last edited by pip_y; 01-01-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Ref was the worst I have seen in many a year and the lino on family stand side spent more time talking to the crowd than watching the game,they were both inept and very unprofessional and should be punished,some decisions were incredible to say the least,why do we keep getting these people,towards the end he looked like he was trying his best to get Preston a point or more,disgusting and disgraceful performance,feel for Warne y who must find if difficult not to comment.

The referee and linesman were laughing to each other at times disgusting.
    Battling performance today all about the win and we got it.
    Wiles looks like a good prospect that’s 2 games in a row he’s played well in.

We need to give Wiles as much game as we can, better first touch than some of our more experienced players.
    Raggett did well on his return.
    Ajayi was ok at Rb.
    We Improved better in 2nd

Two good goals.
    I thought ref was bearable in first half but 2nd half he was a knob, did Wiles upset him?

Wasn’t happy with us trying to keep ball in corner when there’s was 3 mins left in normal time then again when we got a free kick and 4 mins injury time left.

3 point and out the bottom

Well as far as I,m concerned we,ve already signed a new player.....one Ben Wiles or it seems like new signing.
    To be fair he was really good at Bristol and let us not forget this is cship we,re talking about here. Brilliant performances.

Thought Raggett was only marginally quicker than Wood which is why we were getting caught out first half. We need to be wary of that combination.

The only thing Trevor Kettle,s twin brother got right in the second half was the 4 mins OT. Reasonable and not a daft 6/7 mins. He only seemed to play 4 mins as well. He has to be biased and has an interest in pne......no one can be that inept.

Great perfornance from us and two stunning goals. Very proud of them all

That was just the type of dirty win we needed, and one I didn't see coming for 44 minutes of the first half. Initially I thought Vaulks ' free kick must've took a deflection as it went smack in the middle but apparently not.
    Don't think Palmer or Taylor were having particularly bad games, but the substitutions certainly made a difference. Thought Forde had a brilliant game and Newell set up the goal.
    Wiles showed promise with some nice touches and clever play at times.
    The ref was an embarrassment, typical Premier league ref, thriving off the crowd reactions to his decisions, wants to be the star of the show. Dreadful display, same goes for the unprofessional antics of the linesman on the east side, engaging in banter, smirking at the crowd after his incorrect decisions which were probably deliberate.
    No doubt they apologised to Preston for not quite managing to get them the equaliser.

But **** the officials, we have a 100% win rate this year!

Was a good battling performance and overall we deserved the win. It looked ropey for the first twenty minutes, PNE kept cutting us wide open and they had some threatening runs forward, they just lacked that final touch. Rodak showed his true value in some of the saves he made to keep us in it.
    Second half was much better, good substitutions at half time, we started to dominate the game right up until we went 2-0 up. Then they hit back instantly and it was game on for a very nervous 15 + 4 minutes.

I don't normally like to comment on officials as I tend to think it's too easy to deflect poor performances over 90 minutes onto 5 combined minutes of bad decisions. But this lot today were at Fraggle Rock level. I was furious when Smith was wrestled to the ground then kicked in the head over by the corner flag in front of the north stand. It was a blatant, malicious assault and could have been much worse in terms of causing an injury to Smithy, thankfully that didn't happen. Smith looked livid and I thought he was going to chin the dirty b*****d who kicked him, but managed to keep his cool. The ref didn't even give a foul, it was an utter disgrace.

UTM, and happy new year

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Well as far as I'm concerned we've already signed a new player.....one Ben Wiles or it seems like new signing.
    To be fair he was really good at Bristol and let us not forget this is c'ship we're talking about here. Brilliant performances.
    He was a bit unlucky not to score in the first half (one of our few good attacking moves, other than the Vaulks goal)- rocket shot and great save by Rudd

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast