+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Preston North End Post Match Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    I was worried that the ref might send Wood off for that foul in the first few minutes, as he might have judged it a "goalscoring opportunity". Luckily for us he didn't, and only booked him. The way the game started I feared that we might not keep eleven on the pitch (again), but we improved a bit after that spell, though Preston should have been ahead by then. The ref did us no favours later though, especially regarding Smithy.
    Wood didn't get booked? Do you mean Palmer?

Wood elbowed a Preston player full in the face in the penalty area whilst challenging for a header, almost straight from the kick off, literally about 5 seconds into the game, could've easily been a penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Masbroughstreet View Post
    Wood didn't get booked? Do you mean Palmer?

Wood elbowed a Preston player full in the face in the penalty area whilst challenging for a header, almost straight from the kick off, literally about 5 seconds into the game, could've easily been a penalty.
    Just checked - you're right ... amazingly Wood didn't get booked at all in the match, but Wiles and Smith did, for next to nowt. Thought that ref had got his book out when lecturing Wood, but can't have written in it. Ref didn't have much option with bookings for Raggett and Palmer "professional" fouls, although probably not "sending-off" offences (just!)... Palmer looked way off the pace, and Warney might have taken him off in case he got sent off later.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 02-01-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Three things stood out for me. The forth would be the ref but that's been covered.

That rocket of a shot by Vaulks that would still be going today if it wasn't for the net stopping it.

That cross from Newell. That was text book and won't happen again like that with that much importance on it for a long, long time!

If points were given for saves made by keepers then the save by Rodak in the second half was one of the best saves you're likely to see!
    Last edited by frogmiller; 02-01-2019 at 11:33 AM.

The officials were absolutely garbage, the blatant handball incident by Preston player
    in front of Ref & Linesman next to family stand, not going our way was unbelievable.
    The match assessor has to put in his report that the officials were not up to standard.
    We need a right back, attacking midfielder, & another forward.
    Could do with getting Ball back from his loan spell at Bradford City.

Quote Originally Posted by sickly_child View Post
    Yet on the Preston board they feel we should have had two sent off and the ref was a cheat. Perspective is a funny thing.
    Ajayi was lucky not to be sent off so that’s one they would be upset over

Too far away to see what exactly happened, but Ajayi didn't get booked either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    That was just the type of dirty win we needed, and one I didn't see coming for 44 minutes of the first half. Initially I thought Vaulks ' free kick must've took a deflection as it went smack in the middle but apparently not.
    Don't think Palmer or Taylor were having particularly bad games, but the substitutions certainly made a difference. Thought Forde had a brilliant game and Newell set up the goal.
    Wiles showed promise with some nice touches and clever play at times.
    The ref was an embarrassment, typical Premier league ref, thriving off the crowd reactions to his decisions, wants to be the star of the show. Dreadful display, same goes for the unprofessional antics of the linesman on the east side, engaging in banter, smirking at the crowd after his incorrect decisions which were probably deliberate.
    No doubt they apologised to Preston for not quite managing to get them the equaliser.

But **** the officials, we have a 100% win rate this year!
    Agree with all this. Palmer I thought was steady mut maybe a bit off the pace - lack of game time I suppose. But the brave substitutions (considering the sparse bench) made the diffrence. First half yhey were picking long diagonal balls round our backs, this was more or less nullified second half.

Certainly wasn't a 5 yellow cards type of game, Vaulks was deserved, it says something when we win & yet the referee
    still gets this type of reaction - he was useless.

Very pleased to see Wiles doing well. Hopefully we'll have Robertson back next wek.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    Slagging off referees is all part of the game and like the fans of most other clubs we always feel that we are badly done to and get the marginal decisions going against us. In all the time I have been watching football I have never believed that any referee I have seen was a cheat or bent. However I believe that today's referee, aided and abetted by two like minded officials, allowed his prejudices and preconceptions to colour his judgement.Don't forget that in our previous game we had two players sent off, one of them quite rightly for a shocking tackle. We have earned a reputation as fighters and I think the ref believed that the game was going to be one in which Northern cloggers would ride rough shod over a traditional skillful footballing team if he didn't sort us out. As
    the game went on his dislike for our style of play and fight became more and more apparent, to the point where he could see no fault whatsoever with the Preston players but penalised Millers players even when they were on the receiving end of very rough treatment. He also clearly thought that we were exaggerating tackles and complaining at every opportunity (which Ajayi and Vaulks certainly did on one occasion) and this also pi$$ed on his parade.
    Give me an incompetent ref like we usually get any day of the week, rather than nobs like today who think they are Premiership elite and these sort of games are beneath them. As others have said his performance was an absolute disgrace and a few weeks on the sidelines would do his inflted ego no harm at all.
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Too far away to see what exactly happened, but Ajayi didn't get booked either.
    I knew Ajayi caught the keeper but thought it was just one of them where you touch the keeper he goes down, having watched it back it was a clear elbow to the face, knew exactly what he was doing.
    Clearly the officials didn’t see it

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    I knew Ajayi caught the keeper but thought it was just one of them where you touch the keeper he goes down, having watched it back it was a clear elbow to the face, knew exactly what he was doing.
    Clearly the officials didn’t see it
    Got a clear look on the day topsy. AJ caught him with a good un. Tbh it's about time he put a bit of bite into his game. Even though it was a bit naughty

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast