+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wigan 0 United 3 - view from the sofa / report

Wigan 0 United 3 - view from the sofa / report

It was another three goals, another clean sheet and another three point for the high-flying Blades as they made it another league double as they beat Wigan at the DW Stadium. Backed by over 4,000 fans, United survived a let off when former Blade Lee Evans fired wide with the goal at his mercy. After this they went in front with another goal from David McGoldrick and never looked back after this. Beautifully crafted and taken goals from Mark Duffy and Billy Sharp put the game away from the home side. In scoring, Sharp scored his 220th goal of his career and edged ahead of Rickie Lambert as the all-time leading scorer in the English football league since the turn of the millennium.

United made one change that was enforced with Martin Cranie coming in for the suspended Chris Basham. Wigan were on a poor recent run but had earned a point at the Liberty only a few days previously. The attacking options they had in reserve with the likes of Vaughan, Grigg, Windass and McManaman showed that they were not a side to be taken lightly.

United began on top with good play down the right involving Duffy and then Baldock winning an early corner. McGoldrick then had a half chance but took a bit long to pull the trigger before Baldock again won another corner. McGoldrick won another corner after intelligent play before Fleck switched play and Stevens cross was blocked.

Wigan had not really started but one cross saw Garner flick a long way wide. United were back at the other end winning another corner with Egan and then Duffy having efforts blocked. Wigan came back and had the first effort on goal although Massey’s effort was weak and easily saved in the centre of goal by Henderson. United were back on the attack and won yet another corner but Egan was denied by a block and then Stevens found himself in the wide right position but was blocked out as he was on his unfamiliar right foot.

Cranie then had to make a telling defensive header to give Wigan a corner and the home side finally had a spell in the game and ought to have scored soon after. Fleck lost the ball in the middle of the field and it was transferred to the right-hand side by Morsy. The cross shot came in from Massey and Henderson saved but his push away fell perfectly for Evans but he shot wide when he should have scored. The United keeper let the former Blade know about it after the miss!

This miss proved crucial as United then steadied themselves. Fleck drew a foul and a booking from Massey and then Kipre conceded a corner. From the kick, the keeper Walton could not get anything on the high ball under pressure. It was not cleared and Duffy hit a shot that hit the legs of the keeper. It fell to MCGOLDRICK who smashed home with his left foot into the top of the net. United had maybe edged things but Wigan’s bad miss was certainly punished in ruthless fashion.

After this United nearly doubled their lead. Duffy put the scorer through with a beautiful ball that split the defence but as McGoldrick looked to shoot, Dunkley made a block. From the corner, United worked it to Fleck who then moved it on and Norwood hit a superb right foot shot that hit the outside of the post. The half time whistle came soon after.

The second half saw Wigan win an early corner but Henderson was commanding to pouch the high cross and he hit an early kick out that saw Sharp one on one with Gibson. The striker got there first and held it up superbly before rolling it across to DUFFY. The midfielder rode the challenge from Gibson (would have been a penalty if he had gone down) and then calmly clipped the ball past Walton into the far corner. A route one goal in its build up but the play from Sharp and finish from Duffy was top class.

Wigan made two changes immediately after the goal with Massey injured coming off and he was joined by Gibson; whose last act was to be outmuscled by Sharp. Windass and McManaman came on for the home team.

James had been Wigan’s best player and he came inside and was felled by Stevens who got booked but after a bit of pressure, United broke out and scored a superb third goal. Norwood, Baldock and then Duffy were involved before McGoldrick was put in and sent over a superb cross that was on a plate for SHARP who converted from close range. He celebrated his record-breaking goal with his teammates in front of the packed away end who were going absolutely berserk.

Sharp had another chance from a Duffy cross soon after but his header was blocked. United now were in complete control and Fleck and Norwood were keeping it well with Egan and O’Connell dominant behind. Garner was getting frustrated at the lack of service but in truth United were just too powerful for his team. McManaman had one dribbling run but tried to buy a free kick and was rightly booked for simulation.

Coutts came on for Duffy as United sought to see things out professionally and not long after Clarke was brought on for McGoldrick. Wigan won a couple of corners that came to nothing before Grigg replaced Garner. United now were just doing what they had to and the home side had not registered a meaningful shot on or off target all second half which summed up how much in control United were.
    United were now full of confidence and knocking the ball around in triangles with Coutts, Fleck and Norwood showing their class. The game management was excellent and Wigan looked a side well beaten. United even had more half chances. Sharp broke away and showed real pace to get away but his pull back just evaded Clarke in the middle. A move soon after saw United keep the ball for well over 20 passes before Walton claimed the cross from Stevens under pressure from Sharp.

Stearman was brought on for Cranie who had played well on his return to the team but may have picked up a knock or felt a niggle as he was not able to run off and walked to the bench. Fleck picked up a booking and then Evans hit a wild shot well off target for the home side as the game entered the final minutes. Coutts showed some neat touches and then Sharp nearly got in but was adjudged offside.

The referee played three minutes of stoppage time but this just provided another opportunity for United to play keep ball and see out the game with relative ease as they crept up to third place with results coming in from around the league meaning United were the only side in the top 6 to win.

United – Another excellent performance. Wigan have been in poor form and we have been going the other way but we deservedly won the game. Individually and collectively we were much better. We ran around, won the tackles, loose stuff and then kept the ball when we had to. At times we were a bit sloppy first half but gradually got better and better. After we did score, we were the far better side after being probably the slightly better side even before this. It was another really good team showing where the front two worked hard and linked, the midfield passed it well (after a bit of a ropey start) and we were patient and calm in possession. Huge credit to the defence again though who did another great job limiting another team to one chance really the whole game. I felt the whole back 3/5 were superb and Egan and O’Connell were so commanding.

The biggest compliment is we looked like a…gulp…promotion side. Well organised, playing for each other, solid at the back and dangerous going forward. The additions of Henderson, Egan, Norwood and McGoldrick have given us four huge additions right through the spine. If we can get 1 or 2 more in this January then you never know. It is not as if we have 2/3’rds of the season left. We have 20 games left – 6 of them are home games against bottom 7 teams. I do not want to get too excited but suffice to say, we are probably safe from relegation now and certainly have a real chance of top 6 and with teams faltering and no one really pulling away, you never know. Other teams have more squad depth and maybe have more proven players in terms of top end Championship/lower Prem (Norwood apart) but our team is full of confidence and need to just keep the momentum going. 20 games. That is all. We have a chance.

Today, we maybe edged the first half in terms of possession and play but they had the best chance before we did score. Evans missing a sitter. Before this we had a few chances blocked and won lots of corners and they had a long ranger saved and Cranie headed clear but I felt we were the better side. Still the miss was a let off and Cook was right; it changes games when you miss chances and then from a chance at the other end that was not even as good a chance, the other team scored. We are more clinical at the moment. After we went 1-0 up there was only one winner. We nearly scored another few before half time with McGoldrick denied and then Norwood hitting the post.

After the break it was all United really. We scored two great goals; passed it well and controlled the game. The game was finished by the 54th minute. After this you felt like they may have a spell but they did nothing really and we defended well and just managed the game. I think if we had wanted to, we could have gone and got more goals but we just did the professional job we had to do. Wigan ran out of ideas and we got some game time for a few players too. It was the perfect away performance in terms of a clean sheet, both strikers scoring, Sharp breaking the record in terms of goals scoring this century and 4,000+ jubilant Blades going away happy.

We have had a great Xmas period and with results all going for us today – none of the top 3 before today won and many below drew; we are now well set in the playoffs and now are looking up rather than down in terms of the promotion race.

Wigan – They played quite well at the Lane and were unfortunate to lose 4-2 in a game that flattered us. They were one of the few teams that came and had a go and with some better play in the final third or defending may have got something. Since then they have generally carried on a downward trajectory. They were around the top 6 but have just really started to go in freefall. They did well at home but have had a series of defeats here. They are missing Nick Powell (I assume out injured) and seem to lack leadership at the back. I was not impressed by Dan Burn at the Lane but now he has gone back to Brighton (loan ended); they look so suspect here. The two lads Kipre and Dunkley look accidents waiting to happen. In midfield, Morsy and Gibson are very slow and can get their foot in but not sure they have the quality to hurt the better teams. Evans, I have made my opinions very clear on him. Slow, weak and games pass him by. Great business by Wilder to move him on. He would not even make our bench now and even Lundstram is a better option.

Up top they have lots of options and Grigg, Vaughan and Garner have scored goals at this level but not sure they get great service. The lad McManaman is an annoying so and so but would at least give them some running and pace. Roberts and Naismith are journeyman types that are top League One players but not quite up to it in the Championship; even though both will now and again show moments of quality. Individually they are not quite at the level of many others but still should be better than the teams below them. Position wise they are about where they should be. I think Paul Cook is a tremendous manager and like Wilder has done well wherever he has gone but puts into context how well Wilder did. We surpassed them last season by some way in terms of performances and results and they probably still spent a lot more than us after they came up. Certainly, the likes of Windass (another who I was surprised did not start), Garner and Evans would cost them a fair bit and maybe even more than we spent even this season too. I think they will have enough to stay up but they need to stop the rot fast really and look bereft of confidence.

Opponent man of the match – No one was that great really. I felt Morsy got his foot in and Windass looked lively when he came on but they were individually inferior to us. I felt the lad James who played right back was maybe the stand out at the Lane and it was the case again today. He worked hard, used the ball when he could and got forward. Can see why Chelsea rate him. He looks a player that could player higher than Wigan – no offence.

Weak link – A number of very average players. The keeper looked ropey at the Lane and did not inspire confidence today (look at difference between him and Henderson on corners). Gibson was so slow in midfield and looked to be running in quick sand. I also felt they had little up top. The two centre backs I thought (one Dunkley tackle apart) were also really poor and errors waiting to happen. They got pulled about and were sloppy in clearing the ball. I reckon they will both make lots of mistakes between now and the end of the season. However, the weak link has to be Mr Lee Evans. A favourite scapegoat of mine when he was at the Lane; maybe I was harsh but today showed why we got rid. Aside from the awful miss and wild sliced shot (everyone made out he was a goal threat at the Lane but Lundstram scored more goals than him and other than the Boro game; I recall quite a few poor shots/misses); his set plays were poor and he was anonymous for long spells. Slow and immobile; he is a player that I feel will be lucky still to be at Championship level in 12-18 months. Not sure what his qualities are really.

Henderson 7/10 – Had little to do really but dealt with everything he had to save for one fumbled cross out. He made a save on the angled shot and maybe would have wanted to push it away from goal but he had to make the save. His reaction to Evans miss was odd – he really had a go at the ex-United player and this particularly upset Garner. Could see why as it was a strange reaction! Maybe they did not get on or just banter with an ex-teammate! Second half he assisted with the catch and long kick for the goal. His distribution was excellent with some good long kick outs and throw outs. Billy was the chief recipient on more than one occasion. One long throw was the whole half of the pitch and won us a corner deep in their territory as a result.

Baldock 7.5/10 – Thought he was excellent today. He used the ball well, got up and down the flank and helped us pen them in from the start. He alone won 3 corners in the first 15 minutes from thrusts down that right side. He kept this going all game and showed incredible fitness all game. Defensively he did what he had to do and then 2nd half involved in some good attacks including the third goal. Thought he was really good today. At times away from home last season he was found wanting switching off at times but today he was really good.

Stevens 7.5/10 – Another really good performance. Won the battle against his man, came on offensively and forced them back, as did Baldock on the other side. Defensively he was solid, winning tackles, headers and pulls away from danger. He kept his shape and read the game well with a number of interceptions. Going forward he was a danger at times. Twice he had chances but once he was blocked and then another occasion, he had the ball on the right-hand side of the box (this has happened to him before belying any kind of formation!) but took too long to get his shot off. Always on the front foot. Just one negative and that a silly booking for pulling a player back. He does make silly fouls at times but that is the only real criticism for a player that is a definite candidate for player of the season such is his levels of consistency week in, week out.

Egan 8/10 – Think he has been absolutely dominant in the last three games. Garner had scored two goals in his last game but barely got a sniff today both on the floor and in the air. He won every header defensively, got ahead of his man, made clearances and just led the backline superbly. Also, a threat going forward and won a few headers on corners/free kicks that led to scrambles or half chances. He has been a colossus recently and seems to be getting better and better.

O’Connell 8/10 – Whilst we have scored 3 goals today and the last two games; I feel our defence has been excellent. We have limited 3 sides to one long range free kick goal and they have barely had any chances with Evans chance the only real clear chance in 270 minutes of football really where the opponents have relied on set plays. Just really solid. Having centre backs like him and Egan that are no nonsense but both can get it down and play at times. Both are quite mobile too. Comparing them two to the lads at the back for Wigan showed how superior we are.

Cranie 7.5/10 – Edwards said he had played well to start the game but I actually thought he started rusty and gave it away a few times with sloppy passes. He got better as the game went on. Made one crucial header to flick away with Garner coming in and then did the same second half with a header behind. He was just really solid. Nothing flash and does not give us the attacking threat that Bash does but he will be useful lad in the run in with injuries/suspensions etc. Can see why we are giving him an extra year.

Fleck 7/10 – Thought he played well the last 20 minutes at Blackburn and got back to his best again today with some good runs, foot ins and interceptions. He at times first half was a bit careless and his mistake led to the big Evans chance as he lost the ball. I thought after the break he was better as were all the team in their passing and overall play. Thought he worked hard and did a lot of the defensive stuff well as our game management was superb after we went 3-0 up. A stupid booking to give away near the end where he lunged in at James apart; a good performance.

Norwood 7/10 – I actually thought he played ok but was maybe one of our weaker players today. Not saying he was bad but he actually gave it away a hell of a lot and first half he put them in twice with sloppy first touch passes. He continued to be a bit short with his passing. Still will always see a lot of time on the ball and his passing improved second half as he was surer with it. Had one great shot that hit the post from the edge of the box. Lovely to see him, Fleck and Coutts playing keep ball for long spells near the end. He is a huge upgrade on Evans and even when he was maybe not quite at his brilliant best still miles better than the player he effectively replaced. What a masterstroke by Wilder.

Duffy 7.5/10 – Odd one as first half did not feel he did too much right and gave it away quite a bit and was slow to react but then suddenly he becomes influential in everything we do! He was involved in the first goal with the shot from the corner and then put in a superb ball for McGoldrick which nearly led to another. He then came alive and was much better second half with a lovely finish for the 2nd and involved in the third. I felt he was quiet for spells but his quality when it matters clearly shows and to score two goals.

Sharp 8/10 – Another performance that rolled back the years. He somehow looked really quick and ran away from his defenders a few times. Used real strength to hold it up too. Always playing on the shoulder and always looking like he could get in. Set up the second with a superb piece of hold up and assist and then of course on the spot to score the third. Nearly made another with a lung bursting run. Never gave the defenders a moment and a constant menace. Superb for him to break the record and shows what a goal scorer he has been both for us and other clubs. A terrific captain, talisman, leader and representative for the club. We are very lucky to have such a humble, hard working pro who is a Blade to boot, leading the team. He could easily go on and score 25+ goals this season.

McGoldrick 7.5/10 – Another performance where he linked midfield and attack well, kept the ball with clever passes and touches. At times still looks languid and a bit sharper and he would have got a shot away for his second maybe but his finish for the first from only a half chance was ruthless. He then set up the third with a lovely run and pass. Been a superb signing and looks a class act. Just got to keep him fit. With hopefully another forward addition; if these two-stay fit and firing, we have goals in this side.

Subs –

Clarke – Came on with his newly shaved head but he frustrates me as he is often behind the man and does not get there first even when fresher but that is being ultra-critical. Had a few half chances from crosses where the keeper caught or Sharp did not quite pick him out but overall contributed to us keeping the ball well.

Coutts – Did ok today. Kept it well and perfect game for him to get more time as the game was up and about managing things and keeping the ball. He is great for that. Some nice passes and triangles and him and Norwood passed around them for the final spell. One moment was a slight concern as he tried to run past a Wigan player who had been on all game and he kept running but just could not power past him. As much as pace was never his asset, he was powering past players before the injury so hopefully with time he will get this power (he was always very strong if not quick). Today was a good step in the right direction and expect him to start in the cup game.

Stearman – Washington was going to come on but Cranie seemed to get a knock and United took no chances. Won a few headers as Wigan tossed some hopeless balls into the box. Great pro to have around but hard for him to get back in with the defence playing so well.

Wilder 8.5/10 – Another solid and deserved win. Another clean sheet and we are right back amongst the challengers at the top. A great Christmas that would have been perfect if we had won the game at Ipswich but 9 pts from 12 or 9 from 9 if you don’t count that away game is excellent. We have deservedly won all three games too and scored 9 goals and conceded just one.

We did ok first half and nosed in front but stepped up second half and just were a bit surer in our passing. Allied with working a bit harder and making sure we won most of the loose stuff with the defence maybe playing a few yards further forward; we took complete control. We scored two good goals and after this it was a routine win but made routine by keeping the ball when we had it, keeping a solid shape and the players being very professional and all working for each other.

The players confidence looks very high at the moment and the work ethic even at 3-0 today was great to see. We never stopped and I loved the way we saw the game out. The subs were right in terms of personnel and times they were made and the game management to win the game perfect.

Referee – Andy Madley. Easy game to referee really. He booked four players and all were deserved. Massey for dragging Fleck back as he got away, then Stevens and Fleck for late fouls as they broke in the final third and then a blatant dive from McManaman. Sharp maybe could have been booked for kicking it away and the ref let him get away with it. Other than this I cannot recall many poor decisions either way really. The linesman bottled one when McGoldrick may have fouled their man but won a corner clearly after the non-award and he gave a goal kick. The remainder of the game it was an easy one really to referee but he kept things flowing and the game was not about him. A far cry from the two incompetents who officiated the last two games we have had at the Lane.

Crowd – Sadly I did not make the trip today but it was good to see over 4,098 Blades there and they seemed to be the only fans I could hear out of the 13,054 crowd where most of the home ends were empty seats it seemed. Out of a capacity of 25,138 meaning it was only just over half full. Like with Reading, you worry how they will turn this into any kind of home advantage as it is so quiet and not intimidating and at both grounds, teams can bring 3-4,000 fans and make it like a home game. They started with a good home record but it has really dropped off here and big teams coming with 4,000+ will ramp up the atmosphere and nullify this home edge. United fans will of course have been rewarded for the journey; that for some could have been quite long and difficult (looking at the trains and disruptions) but they were in good voice and celebrated starting the New Year with a win.