+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bury 3 Crewe 1

Bury 3 Crewe 1

Just some thoughts on the game.
    Firstly, I thought it was an enjoyable game (except for the result), with both teams trying to play football. The main difference between the sides for me was that in the 2nd half Bury were more willing to run with speed towards our box, pulling the defence out of position and bring the foul in the box.

Our defence looked secure in the air with George having a particulaly good game
    Bowery and Porter led the line well giving us the perfect start- 3 in 3 for Porter now and the first away goal from somebody other than Bowery.

The midfield seemed to have a mixed game. Greeny had a good game before he was injured (any news?). Jones seemed to lose his way with some poor passing but was involved throughout. Wintle seemed busy and had two good headers towards the end. Kirk had an off game- he certainly put the effort in in the first half and was involved in almost everything but nothing went right. In the second half his head dropped and he was a spectator for most of it. When Dale replaced him we had added impetus - just too late. Lowery had his usual busy game, showing some good movement.

IMO the better team won (although there was not much between them), but things could have been different maybe if Kirk had been on top of his game and things that he tried had come off. I am NOT blaming Kirk for the defeat-just one of those games where he tried but came up short.

All in all a good effort by the lads. And so onto the next game.

I tend to agree with the above but would add the rider that Porter had a chance to put us level at 1-2 and completely fluffed it.
    Mind you, this was probably due to the angle from which the cross came towards him. Kirk should play on the right and cross at pace onto Porter's head. As it is, Kirk is cutting inside from the left and his crosses are coming over Porter's shoulder, a very difficult angle to head effectively. We need more crosses where Porter is facing the goal like that from Bowery.