+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Neal Ardley

Quote Originally Posted by LesBradd4England View Post
    Whatever happens this season we must retain Ardley. An honest man with a background firmly rooted in the arena Notts are playing in, be that Div 2 or the National League next season. Continuity is *****, allow him to bring in his players, then judge him on this not the failings of several others.
    Agree totally Sir Les. I think we were lucky to get NA and whilst I had hoped his style would have led to a prompt improvement in our situation I think that this has not happened due to the imbalance in the squad. Hindsight shows that not going for Neil Bishop or a similar type of battling experienced midfielder and losing Michael O'Connor in the Summer were mistakes. As too not improving the defence. Even if we do go down (and all is not lost simply because there are two or three other s**t teams in this league) then we must stick with NA. I have used the analogy of Big Sam before and whilst Sam's start was not good the next season,albeit in a lower league, was memorable. Really tough times at the moment for all who care for Notts and I include NA in that sentiment.

The thing about Michael O’Connor was that most on this board were happy to see him go. Far too many were concerned about his serious injury.
    Likewise, when several of the old guard were released. The constant moaning about ‘dads army’ during what was a successful season was baffling. The likes of Smudge, Shola, Collin and Dicko were a waste of shirt and a wage, we could do better etc... look how that has worked out. I would have all 4 in a heart beat along with O’Connor and I would have guaranteed a much better outcome this season. Who in there right mind would dismantle the core of a successful team? Many on here, Nolan and Hardy.
    What was needed was the additions of Enzio, Dennis and Hemmings to last seasons strongest 15, we were all crying out for more mobility in forward positions. We got that. But we lost a lot of experience and more importantly the characters and leadership that would have rattled the changing room as it stands.

I still think the move away from the big man up top this season was too drastic.

We needed to replace Ameobi with another big target man. I also feel we could have utilised Forte more this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinola View Post
    I still think the move away from the big man up top this season was too drastic.

We needed to replace Ameobi with another big target man. I also feel we could have utilised Forte more this season.
    Ameobi was Nolan's man. His demise would not have been good for Ameobi. Sorry to say, that Forte always flattered to deceive, he should have scored many more goals than he did and his attitude never seemed right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    The thing about Michael O’Connor was that most on this board were happy to see him go. Far too many were concerned about his serious injury.
    Likewise, when several of the old guard were released. The constant moaning about ‘dads army’ during what was a successful season was baffling. The likes of Smudge, Shola, Collin and Dicko were a waste of shirt and a wage, we could do better etc... look how that has worked out. I would have all 4 in a heart beat along with O’Connor and I would have guaranteed a much better outcome this season. Who in there right mind would dismantle the core of a successful team? Many on here, Nolan and Hardy.
    What was needed was the additions of Enzio, Dennis and Hemmings to last seasons strongest 15, we were all crying out for more mobility in forward positions. We got that. But we lost a lot of experience and more importantly the characters and leadership that would have rattled the changing room as it stands.
    Agree, although Shola couldn't have done another season but I'd have kept Smith as a coach.

I don't think it's a coincidence that there's so much talk that we weren't fit enough at the start of this season and the fact that the fitness coach had left. Another important character that we lost from behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by CheltenhamPie View Post
    Ameobi was Nolan's man. His demise would not have been good for Ameobi. Sorry to say, that Forte always flattered to deceive, he should have scored many more goals than he did and his attitude never seemed right to me.
    I don't get this opinion of Forte. When he did play, he was often effective, and ran himself into the ground on a number of occasions. Injury prone, yes, but I didn't see anything wrong with his attitude. He would have been useful this season.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I don't get this opinion of Forte. When he did play, he was often effective, and ran himself into the ground on a number of occasions. Injury prone, yes, but I didn't see anything wrong with his attitude. He would have been useful this season.
    One thing that's clear is that Forte really divided opinions - possibly more than most players in recent seasons.

I thought that to let him go and replace with Hemmings and Dennis was good business although it hasn't really worked out as I'd hoped. I still think they have a big part to play in our relegation battle.

At the end of last season Forte showed what he could do working in the system we had.

We had a team that needed freshening up, not tearing apart. A new target man to replace Shola, a midfield enforcer, a bit of Pace (Enzio). Dickinson etc. were good enough for League 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinola View Post
    At the end of last season Forte showed what he could do working in the system we had.

We had a team that needed freshening up, not tearing apart. A new target man to replace Shola, a midfield enforcer, a bit of Pace (Enzio). Dickinson etc. were good enough for League 2.
    Nail on head ! Only needed a couple of tweaks, no but Hardy and a lot on here wanted Barcelona football until reality called.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    Nail on head ! Only needed a couple of tweaks, no but Hardy and a lot on here wanted Barcelona football until reality called.
    But we didn't make massive changes.

From those who started the play-off 2nd leg, 7 of them are still here.

The ones who aren't
    Collin - replaced by Fitz who had looked OK when he played until the rush of blood
    Grant - replaced by Enzio - good business
    Forte - replaced by Dennis & Hemmings - good business
    Noble - replaced by countless midfielders but this is the big gap imo this season

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast