+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stan Ternent

Stan Ternent

Ex Carlisle player going through a bad time ,think a few of you will remember him playing for you ..A very good player .

The devastated former manager of Burnley Football Club Stan Ternent has paid an emotional tribute to his “son and buddy” Chris who has died aged just 49.

A hugely popular figure, Chris was well-known throughout Burnley and in his home village of Cliviger where the cheery property developer had lived for most of his adult life.

His sudden death from a suspected heart attack at home on December 29th is the second huge blow for the Ternent family this year, following the death of Stan’s wife and Chris’ mother, Kath, in March.

Stan, who managed the Clarets from 1998 to 2004, said: “Chris was not just a son, he was my friend and buddy.

“He was a fantastic human being. I am going to miss him so much, as will his brother Daniel. His death has been such a huge shock.

“He had not been ill and we had arranged to go for a drink with Daniel over the new year. Chris was a beautiful person, very quiet and unassuming.”

Born in Carlisle, where his father played football, Chris was also a keen actor and was a member of the Manchester School of Dramatic Arts. He also enjoyed watching and playing football.

He was described as “more than an uncle” to Daniel’s daughter Olivia who he doted on.

Daniel said: “Chris and Olivia had the closest bond ever. She was the apple of his eye. His death has come as a huge shock. He was incredibly selfless.

“It has been a terrible year for our family. Chris was very close to our mum. My dad has now lost his wife and son in less than a year.

“Chris loved playing football at Towneley. He was also a very keen actor and was an extra in the BBC’s World Cup coverage. We have been inundated with messages of support from Manchester School of Dramatic Arts where he was obviously a very popular figure.

“Indeed, we have been overwhelmed by all the condolences and good wishes we have received from all around. We raised a drink to Chris in the Kettledrum on New Year’s Day. He will never be forgotten.”

The funeral will take place at St John’s Chruch, Worsthorne, at 10-30am followed by cremation in Burnley on Tuesday, January 15th.

Sad to read that Alf. Stan is one of my all time football heroes. I watched him home and away in my ****age years.

He was hard as nails and in the early 1970s was a key factor in our climb to the old first division.

I remember him getting loads of abuse from the home fans when he played for us at Turf Moor. In turn he loved winding up the Burnley fans. On one memorable occasion he waited for the right opportunity and timed a crunching tackle to perfection and your flying right winger (sadly I can't remember his name) went somersaulting over the retaining wall and into the Long Side. You can imagine how that went down with the home crowd!

Although he was a very good player his record as a manager was equally if not more impressive. I always hoped he would get the Manager's job at Carlisle, but I suspect that (a bit like Ian MacFarlane) he would have been too much for our owners to handle.

I don't know whether you've read his book "Stan the Man" but it is certainly worth a read.

I’m with how old boy, I loved watching Stan play, and I’m sad to hear of his current sadness.

As an aside, my Dad once bought a dog from a breeder in Carlisle who named the pups after his favourite Carlisle players. The dog he bought was named Stan after ST. Unfortunately Dad wasn’t a football man so he changed the name to Prince. I didn’t mind walking a dog called Stan but felt embarrassed being with one called Prince.

I have read his book Howoldboy and a very good read it is... He was a very good manager for us and gave it all he had..he was a good player for you lads and as you said not shy of getting stuck in .. lol.. His son was going out with a lovely lass who is a very very good friend of ours and we were devastated for her when we heard the news .. Apparently as far as I can gather he died of an heart attack in his sleep ,far to sudden and young..

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)