+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scottish whisky

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    You're right.

I was a bit worried that you were one of those zoomers who believed the conspiracy theory about a tax on whisky exports.
    It's a it of a radge that we have to pay premium prices for our own national drink, I wonder what the cost of a single malt would be without vat and taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by seeyazander View Post
    It's a it of a radge that we have to pay premium prices for our own national drink, I wonder what the cost of a single malt would be without vat and taxes.
    About 75-80% of the price of a bottle of whisky is tax. But all alcoholic drinks have a whacking great tax on them.

Make your own, probably come in about 75p a bottle.

The answer to you question Buc is £3 in every £4 spent on Scotch Whisky in the UK is collected in tax by HM Treasury. Of course that's just the internal market exports are worth just under 5Bn to the UK. Worth noting inaw Scottish Gin is now making big bucks at home and abroad catching up on Whisky.

Quote Originally Posted by stewarty27 View Post
    The answer to you question Buc is £3 in every £4 spent on Scotch Whisky in the UK is collected in tax by HM Treasury. Of course that's just the internal market exports are worth just under 5Bn to the UK. Worth noting inaw Scottish Gin is now making big bucks at home and abroad catching up on Whisky.
    Gin isn't catching up on whisky.

Gin is a fad

Whisky is an institution

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    Gin isn't catching up on whisky.
    Agreed its got a fair bit to go but its a lot bigger than in used to be. Scottish craft Gin is indeed big business ..worth aboot £1.76bn to the UK economy and about 70% of it is produced in Scotland and its growing.

Funnily enough I was reading about Irish Whisky taking in over £2bn (verified)to the Irish economy but they have only between 2_4% of the whisky market .
    But Scotland has 80% of the whisky market taking in £5bn I'm not sure how that figures add up I'm happy to be proved otherwise .
    Or indeed told what I read is utter bull.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Buc View Post
    Funnily enough I was reading about Irish Whisky taking in over £2bn (verified)to the Irish economy but they have only between 2_4% of the whisky market .
    But Scotland has 80% of the whisky market taking in £5bn I'm not sure how that figures add up I'm happy to be proved otherwise .
    Or indeed told what I read is utter bull.
    Come on lads you lot know your stuff need some help with this as I don't want to be spreading rubbish/ lies like the Westminster government.

Here you go Buc.

Irish whiskey sales were worth €505 million in 2016

https://www.abfi.ie/Sectors/ABFI/ABF...h!OpenDocument

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast