+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Enjoy Sunday

Here's why it became the 'World Championship'.

The 1904 Reach Guide reported on this first official "World's Championship Series," (played in 1903) using a name first coined in 1886 by the Spalding (of athletic equipment fame) Base Ball Guide in reference to the post-season game between Chicago and St. Louis.

Spalding's editor noted that since both teams were already "champions of the United States" in their respective leagues, the winner of the post-season games would be "world" champions, hence the "World's Championship Series." Spalding's continued to refer to post-season games by this name, adding that as other nations embraced baseball, their winning teams would participate in the playoffs, turning the "World's Championship Series" into a reality.

Of course this another load of American bulls.hit just to big up a name/title for a final of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Here's why it became the 'World Championship'.

The 1904 Reach Guide reported on this first official "World's Championship Series," (played in 1903) using a name first coined in 1886 by the Spalding (of athletic equipment fame) Base Ball Guide in reference to the post-season game between Chicago and St. Louis.

Spalding's editor noted that since both teams were already "champions of the United States" in their respective leagues, the winner of the post-season games would be "world" champions, hence the "World's Championship Series." Spalding's continued to refer to post-season games by this name, adding that as other nations embraced baseball, their winning teams would participate in the playoffs, turning the "World's Championship Series" into a reality.

Of course this another load of American bulls.hit just to big up a name/title for a final of anything.
    GF is talking about American Football Brin, not baseball

It's worse in baseball as there are some good teams around the world and no-one else plays American Football so technically they could be "world champions" in that but it does sound arrogant.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Well I'm 0 for 2 so far and the with my predicting prowess 0 for 4 is a distinct possibility
    Like I suggested Cam we had a go at it (and could have done better to be honest), and the Rams certainly didnt thrash us.
    And Im delighted to say I was wrong about those Philly scumbags, they ended up losing as well after all lol.

So now its game on, the Semi finals of the season.. New England v Kansas, & New Orleans v L.A Rams.
    So come on, lets have some more bad predictions from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Like I suggested Cam we had a go at it (and could have done better to be honest), and the Rams certainly didnt thrash us.
    And Im delighted to say I was wrong about those Philly scumbags, they ended up losing as well after all lol.

So now its game on, the Semi finals of the season.. New England v Kansas, & New Orleans v L.A Rams.
    So come on, lets have some more bad predictions from you.
    Well, as Meat Loaf almost said, "Two out of Four aint bad"

I picked N'Orleans to win the lot so I'll stick with them to repeat their regular season beating of the Rams and just because I'm fed up of seeing Tom Brady in the Superbowl (or maybe I should say The Big Game as I'm not supposed to use the word Superbowl unless I'm one of the official advertising partners) I'll go with KC.

Well, as Meat Loaf almost said, "Two out of Four aint bad"
    I picked N'Orleans to win the lot so I'll stick with them to repeat their regular season beating of the Rams and just because I'm fed up of seeing Tom Brady in the Superbowl (or maybe I should say The Big Game as I'm not supposed to use the word Superbowl unless I'm one of the official advertising partners) I'll go with KC.
    Ohh Im also sick of seeing Brady & Belichick dominate with New E (but I wouldnt mind if it was Dak Prescott & co doing the same for us).
    And remember it wasnt that long ago that the Nfc teams won the Superbowl every year, and the Afc teams kept on 'choking' on the big day. How many times did little Buffalo get there in the early-mid 90s, and they lost everytime lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Ohh Im also sick of seeing Brady & Belichick dominate with New E (but I wouldnt mind if it was Dak Prescott & co doing the same for us).
    And remember it wasnt that long ago that the Nfc teams won the Superbowl every year, and the Afc teams kept on 'choking' on the big day. How many times did little Buffalo get there in the early-mid 90s, and they lost everytime lol.
    Didn't really get interested in NFL until recently, around the time the Seahawks started their run of success. Must admit there's a lot more to it than most see on the surface of the 3h+ to play a 60m game.

Didn't really get interested in NFL until recently, around the time the Seahawks started their run of success. Must admit there's a lot more to it than most see on the surface of the 3h+ to play a 60m game.
    Pahhh!, your a plastic Nfl fan then eh Cam ?. lol
    Ive watched and enjoyed the game as a Dallas 'Tv fan' since about 1983-84 when Ch4 started showing it in the UK.
    And in those days Seattle were an Afc team alongside Denver etc, so they (the pesky Seahawks) are merely uninvited guests when it comes to the Nfc end of year christmas party p*iss up.

Wow what a game and well done the LA Rams , that kicker was superb under that kind of pressure and the distance he kicked those last two field goals .

Saints were robbed! If that wasn’t pass interference I’ll stand shagging!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast