+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memoirs of....Manchester City

Memoirs of....Manchester City

Not trying to steal Hazza's thunder as he usually starts one of these but haven't seen one for tomorrow's game so here goes.

Most memoirs of Manchester City will be the Millers' games against them in the FA Cup in the late 70s or in the Championship in the early 2000s but I'll leave those for others and mine actually come from following City as my 2nd team.

It all started around 1981 when having moved away from Rotherham to go to college in Northampton and playing football there I met up with someone who would become a good friend over the next 18 years. Ben was a City fan and a pretty good footballer, playing semi-pro for Irthlingborough Diamonds after college before they merged with Rushden Town and his knees gave out ending his playing days in his mid 20s. We used to go to games together, sharing our time between watching Northampton at the old County Ground (including a couple of Millers games there), Maine Road and Millmoor, including our League Cup tie against Man U where as a City fan Ben seemed to verbally abuse the likes of Bryan Robson, Brian McClair and Peter Davenport as much as the rest of us put together

Third round FA Cup day was always special and despite the fact City weren't that good in those days unlike us they were always guaranteed to have a match that day. So over the years we attended some great games that gave rise to great memories including the time we were mistaken for undercover cops in one of the roughest pubs in Moss Side (The Blackheath?) or the time we miraculously managed to blag free tickets at a sell out game at Brentford. I'll save those stories for another day.

The one regret we had is that in all the time we used to go to games we never got to see us play each other up until I left the shores of England, twenty years ago this week. So when this draw was made you would have thought this would be our chance. Not even 4,500 miles would keep us from The Ethiad Stadium on Sunday? One major problem. Ben died just a month after I flew out of Heathrow back in 1999. So I'll be watching alone online at 6am Sunday morning, tinged with sadness even if we win, but reflecting on some happy memories.

Checked the records - we have never beaten them!
    I was at the 2-4 FA Cup game (great match) and also a couple of earlier ones at Millmoor in Division 2 (now Championship). Can't remember much about those Division 2 games (0-0 in Feb 1965 and 0-1 Jan 1966) other than City were tough opponents playing at a level below where they normally played, and looked likely to get promoted back to Division 1 (which they did in 1966). The Millers had a good team back then and failed to score in either game - which was unusual for us at Millmoor back then.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 05-01-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Not trying to steal Hazza's thunder as he usually starts one of these but haven't seen one for tomorrow's game so here goes.

Most memoirs of Manchester City will be the Millers' games against them in the FA Cup in the late 70s or in the Championship in the early 2000s but I'll leave those for others and mine actually come from following City as my 2nd team.

It all started around 1981 when having moved away from Rotherham to go to college in Northampton and playing football there I met up with someone who would become a good friend over the next 18 years. Ben was a City fan and a pretty good footballer, playing semi-pro for Irthlingborough Diamonds after college before they merged with Rushden Town and his knees gave out ending his playing days in his mid 20s. We used to go to games together, sharing our time between watching Northampton at the old County Ground (including a couple of Millers games there), Maine Road and Millmoor, including our League Cup tie against Man U where as a City fan Ben seemed to verbally abuse the likes of Bryan Robson, Brian McClair and Peter Davenport as much as the rest of us put together

Third round FA Cup day was always special and despite the fact City weren't that good in those days unlike us they were always guaranteed to have a match that day. So over the years we attended some great games that gave rise to great memories including the time we were mistaken for undercover cops in one of the roughest pubs in Moss Side (The Blackheath?) or the time we miraculously managed to blag free tickets at a sell out game at Brentford. I'll save those stories for another day.

The one regret we had is that in all the time we used to go to games we never got to see us play each other up until I left the shores of England, twenty years ago this week. So when this draw was made you would have thought this would be our chance. Not even 4,500 miles would keep us from The Ethiad Stadium on Sunday? One major problem. Ben died just a month after I flew out of Heathrow back in 1999. So I'll be watching alone online at 6am Sunday morning, tinged with sadness even if we win, but reflecting on some happy memories.
    CAM, nice memories for you to recall. I thought the ending was to say you were meeting up with Ben and both would be in attendance.
    I'm sure Ben will be shouting on his team from above and you can look up to him and say 'have it' when we score.

Lovely memories Cammy. Sad about your pal Ben but like Brin says he'll be looking in from somewhere. Enjoy watching the game from over the pond buddy.

We went on a school trip one Saturday morning to Manchester. Played a local school, got hammered , then were presented with free tickets for the afternoon match at Maine Road. City's opponents were Sheffield United. This was in 1974, so can't remember if it was 2nd or 1st division.
    We were sat next to an old dear with a huge bell, which she rang constantly. With the score at 1-1, with five minutes to go, we left to get the school bus. During that time 3 goals were scored, giving City a3-2 victory. So, luckily, not much aggro in the car park.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post

Great post , Maine Road and Moss Side was definitely not for the faint hearted back in the day .

Millers Memoirs - Manchester City

Other than the joke trophy thingy game last season, I've only seen one meeting between our sides and that was a division 1 game on 23rd March 2002. A packed to the rafters Millmoor witnessed a very credible 1-1 draw with champions-elect City. The almost 17 years since this match have completely clouded my memory of the match, it finished 1-1, we went in front thanks to Big Al just before half time, they equalised on the hour but I cannot remember the goals.

I do however remember certain events and shenanigans that went on that day. I remember Stuart Pearce putting the fear of God into Chris Sedgwick after Sedgy skipped past him a couple of times early on. After a stern challenge and a clear warning of more to come, Sedgy bottled it and didn't attempt to go past the former England captain again.

There were a good number of City fans in the home sections that day. When city equalised I vividly remember a couple of our lads running from the Tivoli End, over the pitch and into the seats behind the away dugout to slot one of their fans who had the audacity to celebrate their goal.

Please delete the thread I opened, didn't realise someone had started one!

Quote Originally Posted by jocksgloves View Post
    We went on a school trip one Saturday morning to Manchester. Played a local school, got hammered , then were presented with free tickets for the afternoon match at Maine Road. City's opponents were Sheffield United. This was in 1974, so can't remember if it was 2nd or 1st division.
    We were sat next to an old dear with a huge bell, which she rang constantly. With the score at 1-1, with five minutes to go, we left to get the school bus. During that time 3 goals were scored, giving City a3-2 victory. So, luckily, not much aggro in the car park.
    I remember the lady with the bell from my many visits to Maine Road, she was always there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    Please delete the thread I opened, didn't realise someone had started one!
    No problem Hazza - I merged them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast