+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: What's going on?

Supporting a team isn’t really a matter of choice though is it.
    Most of us started watching after being taken by a relative and it just becomes part of your life.
    It’s impossible to explain to a non supporter what it actually means.
    Like being on holiday and prowling about between 3 and 5 trying to find the score (before mobile phones etc).
    Maybe not explained too well but sure you know what I mean.

Wouldn't a merger mean there'd be a new team/new club? So surely the new club wouldn't be able to gain automatic entry to the SPFL. I'm sure SEVCO managed to avoid all this but there was talk of a new team having to apply to join the league and provide two years of accounts to support that. So a new merged Dundee club would surely need to play in the juniors for two years before being allowed into the SPFL and then start off in league 2, where SEVCO started after we, you know . . . voted to relegate them.

Quote Originally Posted by PT_Arab View Post
    Wouldn't a merger mean there'd be a new team/new club? So surely the new club wouldn't be able to gain automatic entry to the SPFL. I'm sure SEVCO managed to avoid all this but there was talk of a new team having to apply to join the league and provide two years of accounts to support that. So a new merged Dundee club would surely need to play in the juniors for two years before being allowed into the SPFL and then start off in league 2, where SEVCO started after we, you know . . . voted to relegate them.
    Yes absolutely, which is why I think that it would be a takeover rather than a merger. The only question being, who is in the better off financially between the two businesses/teams to pay for the shares of the other.

If a merger between the two clubs resulted in trophies it would be worth considering but this would not be the case unfortunately.Aberdeen FC are a one city team who even during the death of Glasgow Rangers only managed one trophy win v ICT.They won the League Cup on penalties.
    They ran up debts of approx 11 million pounds trying to keep up with the Old Firm but never got near them,they have a bigger city than Dundee,a massive catchment area and oil company backing.There is not a cat in hell's chance of one club in Dundee being able to compete with either of the Old Firm or the Edinburgh clubs.
    We have to content ourselves with 2 shyte teams and our past glories,even if every fan from both clubs supported a merged team the average attendance would still be miles behind Aberdeen,Hearts,Hibs,Celtic and Sevco's,so what would be the point?.

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineDream View Post
    Much of this merger keech, that has reared its head yet again, is driven by the media. Much of it the weegie and radio media who have no clue about fitba in our city and indeed have no clue about our city ! This is not being helped by both teams being currently s.hite. Hopefully we are on the way up though, out of this league and end this merger talk nonsense.

The memories are short about what the big club in the city can look like, ie averaging 8000+, reaching the later stages of the cups and fighting it out at the right end of the table, just don't get that with the fun

A merged team would not get a support like united, the vast majority of fans who really care would be lost to football or support maybe a fan created replacement at best, ok the new soulless club would have a plastic fanbase but that would be it, the 6th biggest club in the country would be gone replaced by a Killie/Motherwell with averages of 5k

I'd simply lose any interest I had in football beyond wanting the merged club to fall on its face at every turn and spend those Saturdays doing something more productive with the family

It just stinks of recentism the whole thing is beyond stupid, just because we were miss managed it's allowed the stupidity to rear its head, the fun are same old fun so that must makes it easier for the muppets to get this talk circulating

I'm absolutely against groundsharing too by the way, totally different clubs that share a city, nothing else to it, due to the location of the grounds people think its different to hearts/hibs merging, and we saw how the attempt worked out, the strength of feeling against would be extremely high of anything serious was ever to come about and this responsible would see a backlash

The sooner Neilson builds a team to get us out this league and end this shyte talk the better

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    If a merger between the two clubs resulted in trophies it would be worth considering but this would not be the case unfortunately.Aberdeen FC are a one city team who even during the death of Glasgow Rangers only managed one trophy win v ICT.They won the League Cup on penalties.
    They ran up debts of approx 11 million pounds trying to keep up with the Old Firm but never got near them,they have a bigger city than Dundee,a massive catchment area and oil company backing.There is not a cat in hell's chance of one club in Dundee being able to compete with either of the Old Firm or the Edinburgh clubs.
    We have to content ourselves with 2 shyte teams and our past glories,even if every fan from both clubs supported a merged team the average attendance would still be miles behind Aberdeen,Hearts,Hibs,Celtic and Sevco's,so what would be the point?.
    Correct...better to have our own teams...however bad both of them are....we don't have to hunt the glory

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    I’m convinced a ‘new’ club would be much worse off than United.

We have a great history and committed core support.

A new club would have a catchment area not much higher than the likes of Livi or St J - look how meagre their support has been over the years even when they have had good success

Quote Originally Posted by PT_Arab View Post
    Not necessarily.

One of the memberships would be terminated and the other would continue but with a possible name change which is no problem as seen when Clydebank became Airdrie United and then Airdrieoneans.

Wouldnt have to go to bottom of the pile

The problem the city of Dundee has is both teams having owners from the USA who's primary objective's are to make money,lets be honest here none of the people involved have any infinity with either club or legends from the past like Gilzean,Ure,Sturrock or Narey.Both team's are at their mercy.
    At this present time i trust the owner's of Dundee FC more than our owner because they have been in the boardroom longer and they have never to my knowledge mentioned a merger,i have no idea what our new owner has in store for United.

Dundee United are pleased to announce the appointment of Gordon Forrest as Assistant Head Coach.
    Gordon joins United on his return to Scotland and after six years in the MLS as Assistant Manager and Head of High Performance at Vancouver Whitecaps FC.
    He enjoyed a playing career that saw him represent Raith Rovers FC, Livingston FC, KS Leiftur (Iceland), East Fife FC, and Berwick Rangers FC. Before joining Whitecaps, Gordon held coaching positions at both the Scottish FA and New Zealand Football and is the holder of a UEFA 'Pro' Licence.
    Gordon said, "I am delighted to be at Dundee United. United is a fantastic Club with great people, and it is good to be back in Scottish football. It has all happened very quickly, but once I spoke to Robbie and heard the vision and plans the Club has for the future, I wanted to be part of that future. I have been in at training this week and met all the guys, and I am settling in well. I am looking forward to helping United achieve our targets."
    Head Coach Robbie Neilson said, "Gordon has vast experience in coaching, and his appointment is a great one for the Club. He is someone who will fit within our coaching structure easily and is a great character who I know I will enjoy working with. I am delighted to have got it all signed off in time for Saturday's match."

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/new...ootball%20Club

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)