+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Morecambe 2 Alex 2

Morecambe 2 Alex 2

Porter to the rescue is the headlines.

We were poor, slow all over the pitch and always looking backwards rather than forwards. The team had 1 change from Bury, with Hunt coming in for Whelan and Ng switching to RB. We were just not at the races and Morecambe stating the quicker. AJ was through for them but a good challenge from Hunt stopped him. When AJ went off we came more into the game and a period of pressure resulted in a goal for Jones. We should have pushed on for the 2nd. Ellison had a glorious effort cleared off the line by Ray (how DID he manage to clear it) but not much happened for the rest of the half.
    In the second half Morecambe came out on the front foot. Dithering in our defence brought them a free kick on the edge of the box. Everybody thought it would go into the top right corner, but it went over the wall into the left corner. a well taken free kick. We then continued to play it about along the back without getting anywhere. The game was set up for an Ellison winner in the last 10 minutes, so it apparently was. A free kick towards the back post where 2 Morecambe players were ended with a great volley from Ellison into the opposite corner. The Alex started attacking again at last and won a pen after some tenacious work by Miller and a great cross from Ng. Porter duly scoredfrom the spot. 2-2 game over.
    Bowery and Porter worked hard up front without any real connection between the 2. The defence was sound generally but played the ball square too much resulting in Garrett having to hoof the ball upfield whilst under pressure. The midfield were poor- Kirk was not interested and was pulled off early in the 2nd half, Jones and Wintle were always looking for the backwards pass rather the going forward and Greeny had an off day with too many passes going astray. Miller,Dale and Ainley when they came on certainly created more forward movement and gave more impetus to the attack.
    All in all a game that we should/could have won if we had played anywhere near as good as in the previous 3 games.
    MOTM for me was Hunt who made his presence known, although Ray was a close 2nd.
    One more comment: I thought Ellison was a threat throughout the game and took his goal well. one moment that summed up his performance and the the game was when he out sprinted Pixie (nearly 20 years his junior) to provide a decent cross into the box.

Thanks for th8s detailed report. Low energy levels were apparent from about the second minute. We should have pushed on after Jonah's goal but nothing changed until the subs came on late in the second half
    I see DA has withdrawn his "worst performance" remark but I would stick by it.