+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 - interesting year to come. NOT FOOTBALL RELATED.

2019 - interesting year to come. NOT FOOTBALL RELATED.

Good morning folks. Most of you would know me by now, albeit not personally but certainly the fact that I have been in this Group for close to 14 years now. This post is not about football but life in general. Some of you may have noticed that I have been a bit quiet of late. To cut a long story short, since September last year (2018), I have been in hospital a couple of times and have been through scans and tests etc with the final result that I have terminal cancer usually associated with someone who has had contact with asbestos though I have never knowingly come in contact with the stuff. There is no cure for it and the median life expectancy is 13 months; I may live longer or shorter than that. Apparently, my situation is "unique". There is no benefit in operating and I start chemo next week which is only a stopgap and would possibly give me a few more months to live. I am resigned to dying an early, and unexpected, death and it has been the most difficult last few months having to first find out what I had and then being told that there is no cure and there is nothing much the doctors can do.

This post is not to generate sympathy or pity but to encourage everyone to enjoy every minute of life. To put a personal touch to this post, my name is Mark and my avatar (t_bird7982) is a combination of my favorite car, a pillar-less convertible 1961 Thunderbird, and my police collar number. I am 57 years old with 3 adult sons and 2 beautiful grand-daughters (1 year old and 4 years old) from my middle son. My oldest son recently got married and all three of them are working full time, never been in trouble with the law, don't do drugs etc and are all upstanding citizens. Two of my sons have university degrees and are using them in their jobs. I spent the Christmas holidays doing what I love doing - 4-wheel-driving and finding places to camp. I played Santa for my grand-daughters before I left for my 4wd trip and they loved it. My boys and I have got tickets for Leeds pre-season in Australia and we intend to go provided I'm fit enough to fly. We also hope to get to Leeds for the new season so they can make memories of their own before I die. I used to be a policeman in NZ but am now a self employed lawyer who works from home so that I can look after my elderly mother who also lives with me. I used to run marathons, cycle long distances, do body-building, play football and still consider myself as fairly active and fit for my age apart from the cancer.

Please enjoy life and don't sweat the small things as you never know when things all come tumbling down. Please do not send me "prayers" etc as I am the biggest atheist around and have no time for religious mumble-jumble. I intend to enjoy what time I have left doing what I enjoy and being with people I love so they can make memories of their own; my memories will go with me when I die. I will still be here keeping an eye on you ratbags as Moderator until they take me away so don't misbehave

2019.....a "special" year.Name:  2019-01-02 14.06.07.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  103.6 KB
    Last edited by t_bird7982; 07-01-2019 at 09:00 PM.

Jeez, really sorry to hear that t bird. Let's hope Leeds give you something to smile about around May.

Bloody hell and you support leeds life is tough pal

Thats a tough sentence lad. No one knows. Wish I could help and im sure you've explored all options.
    Best wishes, Billy.

all the best mate, hope our great club can give you something to enjoy from a football perspective this season, i really hope you can get to the game in Oz aswell, should be a cracker. MOT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by t_bird7982 View Post
    Good morning folks. Most of you would know me by now, albeit not personally but certainly the fact that I have been in this Group for close to 14 years now. This post is not about football but life in general. Some of you may have noticed that I have been a bit quiet of late. To cut a long story short, since September last year (2018), I have been in hospital a couple of times and have been through scans and tests etc with the final result that I have terminal cancer usually associated with someone who has had contact with asbestos though I have never knowingly come in contact with the stuff. There is no cure for it and the median life expectancy is 13 months; I may live longer or shorter than that. Apparently, my situation is "unique". There is no benefit in operating and I start chemo next week which is only a stopgap and would possibly give me a few more months to live. I am resigned to dying an early, and unexpected, death and it has been the most difficult last few months having to first find out what I had and then being told that there is no cure and there is nothing much the doctors can do.

This post is not to generate sympathy or pity but to encourage everyone to enjoy every minute of life. To put a personal touch to this post, my name is Mark and my avatar (t_bird7982) is a combination of my favorite car, a pillar-less convertible 1961 Thunderbird, and my police collar number. I am 57 years old with 3 adult sons and 2 beautiful grand-daughters (1 year old and 4 years old) from my middle son. My oldest son recently got married and all three of them are working full time, never been in trouble with the law, don't do drugs etc and are all upstanding citizens. Two of my sons have university degrees and are using them in their jobs. I spent the Christmas holidays doing what I love doing - 4-wheel-driving and finding places to camp. I played Santa for my grand-daughters before I left for my 4wd trip and they loved it. My boys and I have got tickets for Leeds pre-season in Australia and we intend to go provided I'm fit enough to fly. We also hope to get to Leeds for the new season so they can make memories of their own before I die. I used to be a policeman in NZ but am now a self employed lawyer who works from home so that I can look after my elderly mother who also lives with me. I used to run marathons, cycle long distances, do body-building, play football and still consider myself as fairly active and fit for my age apart from the cancer.

Please enjoy life and don't sweat the small things as you never know when things all come tumbling down. Please do not send me "prayers" etc as I am the biggest atheist around and have no time for religious mumble-jumble. I intend to enjoy what time I have left doing what I enjoy and being with people I love so they can make memories of their own; my memories will go with me when I die. I will still be here keeping an eye on you ratbags as Moderator until they take me away so don't misbehave

2019.....a "special" year.Name:  2019-01-02 14.06.07.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  103.6 KB
    F00K, F00K, F00K, F00K!!!!!!!!!! 👹👹👹

Only other words from me, live every day, make sure your grandkids know who and what you are (I try), I suspect your boys already know all that. I don't know you from a hole in the ground, so why am I crying?

Thank you for sharing this T_bird, its very brave of you to share this.

Again in equal measure and not looking for sympathy, I have recently lost someone very close in very similar circumstances, so if you ever want to reach out and chat about things ( outside of your circle and friends) I am happy to be contacted by PM, if that would be any of any help at all?

t_bird

I am so sorry to read this. I regard you as a friend albeit a cyber friend and I freely admit I was totally choked reading your post.

My wish for you is that you make everyday count and give your family many many happy memories.

I am sure I speak for everyone on this board when I say all our best thoughts and all our love is/are with you.

Sending you hugs from me

Mark when i read this post and got to the awful news i felt a cold shock through my body. Its horrendous for anyone but i kind of 'know' you.
    I still have the visa in my passport when i was accepted to emigrate to NZ.
    You were amazing towards me at that time offering unlimited advice and even offering to put me up in your house. What Leeds fans will do for each other ! And offered to take me back and forth to the airport !
    There isnt anything i can say but i do know what a top bloke you are and whilst time erodes some memories i do not think i will ever forget you.
    If most people were like you the world be a hugely better place to live for everyone.
    MOT

T bird,

I am so sorry to hear that. especially since you had some good life ahead of you. I will pray for you and your loved ones.

I, too, had a cancer diagnosis last year. I was fortunate to catch it before it killed me. Surgery got it all and I was blessed. Life went on with some big changes but it went on.

However, one item I would like to share. Several years back I was bitten by a spider (brown recluse... a nasty thing) and basically died. Hard to believe with the life I've lived that a spider the size of a coin could do that. it was not my time and I was sent back. some clear and distinct feelings, light, and sounds that I will never forget as long as I Iive. A feeling of joy that made even my best moments in life pale in comparison. I did not want to come back and I cried like a baby when I came out of it Something I've never shared with my wife or kids. One of the most selfish moments in my life. I was given the gift of knowing, without a doubt, that there is an afterlife and it's good. I do try to do the right thing but I'm no saint in training.

It is my fervent wish that you experience the same.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)