+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: this transfer caper

this transfer caper

I dont mean this to play devils advocate but thought I would throw this into the mix

I said all along there was a good player in Potts - I dont think he's good enough for championship standard football as yet - maybe in about 2 years' time or in a team that all knows each others roles. None the less it is a kick in the teeth.

What I will say is that (And I'm not saying its been on here as well before I get dogs abuse) from alot of sections of the crowd last season he was getting stick every game and if someone said you'll get 1.5m for him in 8-12 months' time they'd have driven him themselves for contract talks. At one point (If my memory serves me right) he was cheered for getting subbed. Although he wasnt the best on the park he could never be slated for his lack of effort.

What I will say about the clubs transfer policy is this - we are a good place for an unproven player to showcase their talents at a level they might only have dreamt of so if this with Potts regarding the sell on clause etc is true then why on earth dont we take a hard line stance, remove such clauses and accept that we will lose transfer deals as a result. What we would then have is a clear bargaining position as to say they are under contract until xyz date and we will not budge until you meet our demands. What amazes me with the release clause situation is that they always seem to be met to the penny so unless it was made common knowledge through a third party why dont we have a bid of £x million more triggering it? My point being if Potts' release clause is £2m then there is no reason why a bid of £5m cant be made. It just seems we are not learning our lessons from previous departures - I am no Alan Sugar but long term contracts are meaningless with a minimum fee release clause built in - In my world , from a footballers point of view- this is called having your cake and eating it.

If we use this rule then the player and his agent can like it or lump it because what we have seen - yet again in football - is that the contracts to a club are absolutely worthless and as much use as t!ts on a hog.

Likewise with loan signings and percentage of games played clauses - tell the other club to p!ss off and we will play them if we think they're good enough and if you think they're such a hotshot keep them at your own club and use them yourself

Note for the club:
    I get that we want to be self sufficient and I applaud that as long term we will be better for it,but for christs sake have a degree a self worth and stop weakening the clubs position when it comes to transfer dealings as all we will be doing is constantly rebuilding and not making any inroads on the pitch which is ultimately what drives attendances. We are constantly given the idea it is a business model yet straight away it is flawed.

I think the only fly in the ointment with that Renno, is the players it could be the players insisting on the clauses to re-sign

Quote Originally Posted by lk311 View Post
    I think the only fly in the ointment with that Renno, is the players it could be the players insisting on the clauses to re-sign
    Thats my point though - sod 'em, if they dont like the clause sign somewhere else - the reality is they probably wont get the same chances at another team at our levels. All we have to do at a club is point out that we have taken players such as Winnall, Hourihane, Roberts, Mawson, Yiadom, Potts (from youth level stones, holgate and bree) and given them a platform they might not have had elsewhere.

You have to sell players the benefits for signing for us. I'm convinced in footballing circles we are held in reasonable high regard when it comes to player development and we have to make that count for a worse contract.

Look at dragons den - Peter Jones always wants that bit extra - becuase he can sell them the fact he has made alot of people (himself included) alot of money.

In my opinion we still have our shackles on and have this small club mindset instead of being able to stand our ground from borderline bankrupt bullying from higher up the food chain of football

I totally agree renno.

I tried getting this point across on an earlier post but frustration & booze got the better of me.
    If we keep dancing to the tune of players & agents from lower leagues and end up making smaller profits than we should be making we’ll never progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggydo View Post
    I tried getting this point across on an earlier post but frustration & booze got the better of me.
    If we keep dancing to the tune of players & agents from lower leagues and end up making smaller profits than we should be making we’ll never progress.
    Thats what I meant to say!!

I really dont think the club fully realise how good the 'product' / opportunity we offer is - massively undersold in my opinion

Its like going into a ferrari garage and the salesman saying ' yeah that ones really fast' and leaving it at that - hardly inspiring to the buyer rather than point out all of its features/gadgets etc!

The opportunity we can prove we offer the player has to be made to count for the contract being weighted in our favour

What we are doing is right be we are doing what seems a wet lettuce version

Wasn’t he signed by Cryne and GG just after Hecky threw his toys out about lack of signings. We’d been tracking him for a while so it may have been that’s the only way we could get him to sign if a release clause was put in the contract. We seem to now demand that the club has an option of an extra year which is good

I'll tell you how good this plan is for us punters watching the team , w@nk .

And I'll tell you why it's w@nk , other than Woodrow replacing Bradshaw nobody's come In who is anything like the quality that we've sold on .

As from January 2017 we have seen a good product gradually replaced by a poorer one , so much so that from a position of 7th in the championship we sit 5th in league one today , a drop of 21 places .

How the feck that can be deemed a successful policy is beyond me from a playing point of view .

I'm still of the understanding that a football club's success is judged on how many football games it wins , silly me but I'm old skool .

So now even though on the field the plan is factually a disaster the plan still says sell one of our better players despite the evidence on the field pointing to the fact it's detrimental to winning games of football .

Going on what it's delivered thus far Pott's replacement will more than likely have less ability than he does , there's a pattern developing here .

The only success the plan delivers is to provide sustainability and profit that seems to evaporate and can't be accounted for .

But even so because the players who have arrived to replace the first crop and are significantly inferior to them the fees are actually reducing , Bradshaw £1m and Potts £1.5m .

Nobody at the club seems to be able to understand that because of the plan the revenue to the club is reduced by losing its place in the championship and the value of the players are also significantly less too .

Going on the current business plan the club could well end up in League two having to sell players for 400k to sustain itself .

It's remarkable that 6 self made billionaires can't see it .

It'll be interesting to see how our competitors deal with offers for their players.
    Maja's contract runs out in the summer and Sunderland have turned down offers from Premier & Championship clubs and offered him 7 times his wages but he's turned it down.
    Portsmouth have turned down offers for their top scorer Lowe.
    Luton have signed classy midfielder George Thorne from Derby.
    Charlton have just signed Jonny Williams from Palace.
    Peterbro have signed Lee Tomlin from Cardiff.
    All positive moves. We on the other hand............

Quote Originally Posted by Hodger1957 View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how our competitors deal with offers for their players.
    Maja's contract runs out in the summer and Sunderland have turned down offers from Premier & Championship clubs and offered him 7 times his wages but he's turned it down.
    Portsmouth have turned down offers for their top scorer Lowe.
    Luton have signed classy midfielder George Thorne from Derby.
    Charlton have just signed Jonny Williams from Palace.
    Peterbro have signed Lee Tomlin from Cardiff.
    All positive moves. We on the other hand............
    ...................are sustainable ............

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast