+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Theresa in a mess

How would you progress the issue Super?

Let Parliament spend another year navel gazing, power struggles, etc until there IS a majority for something? Good luck with that.

Meanwhile our companies, NHS etc simply cannot do any long term planning.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    It's certainly going to be an interesting few days Sinkov.

As we can see, there is simply no consensus in Parliament to do anything at all. And can you see this changing?

There seems to be about six possibilities each one with a group of MP's support, but none of them would win a majority in Parliament.

They are not capable of moving on from the en passe - so I think the only thing to do is to ask the public to make the decision.

Otherwise that can will end up in small pieces.
    As you say 59, there is no concensus in parliament for anything, but there is no consensus in the country on how to proceed either, so another referendum will not provide any more clarity, all that it can do is kick the can a bit further down the road. There was a referendum with a clear, if smallish, majority for leave, the only way to move on from this situation is to enact the result, as Parliament and the two major parties promised they would. That is the only way forward, and as I said before, the only way open to us to leave now appears to be 'no deal'.

Just what will happen who knows, the media are saying May has told no one, not even her Cabinet what she plans to do when the vote is lost. I'm sure this is because she hasn't got a clue what she's going to do. Just more can kicking I expect.

Around 80% of Labour members also support a peoples vote.

Perhaps you can ask them the same question?

The Lib Dems have always been consistent on the second referendum thing.
    Strange one is this 1959_60. It's actually 72% as quoted by the media, so AT THE WEEKEND we had a straw poll across three CLP's, the figures were 38% of LABOUR PARTY MEMBERS who wanted a second referendum. Something doesn't add up does it?

I don't know BT. perhaps the 3 CLP's chosen were skewed more towards Brexit?

It is pretty widely agreed that Labour members in general are in favour of a second vote.

And if Jeremy doesn't get his General Election (he won't) then he will surely be forced to support one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Strange one is this 1959_60. It's actually 72% as quoted by the media, so AT THE WEEKEND we had a straw poll across three CLP's, the figures were 38% of LABOUR PARTY MEMBERS who wanted a second referendum. Something doesn't add up does it?

FAKE NEWS BT, it's rife on the left, you have to watch out for it.

How would you progress the issue Super?

Let Parliament spend another year navel gazing, power struggles, etc until there IS a majority for something? Good luck with that.

Meanwhile our companies, NHS etc simply cannot do any long term planning.
    How would I progress the issue? Well, I would not have been in this situation because, as I have said several times on other posts, I would have formed an all party committee straight after the result of the vote was known and told them that the sole objective was to ensure that we pulled together to sort everything out so that I could go to the EU, with a couple of others in support, and thrash out the best deal for the country.
    The time that they have had to do this, and failed, is a sad indictment of the whole set up.
    All parties are guilty of ignoring their duty to the electorate of the country who expressed their wishes in a democratic vote. All politicians are guilty of protecting their own interests and again, as I have said previously, they will just say that, whatever happens, it had nothing to do with them.
    Theresa May should have formed a leaving committee, the opposition should have insisted that this be done as should other MPs --they have just stumbled along like headless chickens.

As far as I am concerned now, they can just get on and do what the hell they want. No doubt it will give whatever government is in place a chance to stop senior citizens' bus passes, free TV licences for the Over 75s, winter fuel payments etc., etc. because we have done nothing to contribute to the wealth of the country.
    Call me a cynic --you would be correct!

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    FAKE NEWS BT, it's rife on the left, you have to watch out for it.
    I didn't do the researcg myself you know!

A Guardian article announced that 72% of Labour members support a second vote with 88% of these members saying that they would vote remain.

An Indy article quoted a YouGov survey that said that 86% of Labour members wanted a second vote.

I haven't seen any mention of the poll that you quoted BT.

Don't shoot the messenger!

Super, saying "As far as I am concerned now, they can just get on and do what the hell they want." is fine, and you are perfectly entitled to that view, but somehow, sometime, someone has to make a decision.

Parliament (I have similar thoughts as you on most of them) can argue till the cows come home but they can't sort it out. no decision will be forthcoming.

A second vote for the people is the only way to resolve it.

They will tell us if they want Theresa's deal, no deal or no Brexit.

Meanwhile, our businesses and public services are unable to make any firm decisions either...which is not good for anybody.

Super, saying "As far as I am concerned now, they can just get on and do what the hell they want." is fine, and you are perfectly entitled to that view, but somehow, sometime, someone has to make a decision.

Parliament (I have similar thoughts as you on most of them) can argue till the cows come home but they can't sort it out. no decision will be forthcoming.

A second vote for the people is the only way to resolve it.

They will tell us if they want Theresa's deal, no deal or no Brexit.

Meanwhile, our businesses and public services are unable to make any firm decisions either...which is not good for anybody.
    It is not my responsibility, therefore, I don't have to deal with it, therefore, I do not stress about anything over which I have no control. I certainly shall not worry about whatever happens --what is the point because there are loads of people out there, just like yourself, who are doing all the worrying about what may or may not happen. Que sera sera ---Parliament, the EU, life ---it's only a game!

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)