+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Qualifications

7 Highers and a crappy degree from Aberdeen Uni.

A fat lot of good they have done me.

Not once has anyone ever asked to see my qualifications when I’ve applied for a job. Which is probably a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Not once has anyone ever asked to see my qualifications when I’ve applied for a job. Which is probably a good thing
    You must jave won them over with your smile

No one ever asked to see mine either.

I was staying with a mate when my results arrived, got a phone call from my mother ( she must have known where I was)
    " you better come home and open them, I'm not opening them, you've spelled your name wrong on the front"

Buc min......the only St. Peters I knew was the primary school on Nelson Street, was there a secondary school as well?

Suppose like a lot of folk in Aberdeen in the 80s I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do (not helped by a C-UNT of a guidance teacher who pointed out I wouldn't make anything of myself) so with a few average Highers drifted into an HND course at the old RGIT with like minded potential wasters like myself and similarly drifted into an oil company, probably like a lot of folk at that time.

Don't get me wrong, its been OK, but would love to jack it and go back and study again.

Quote Originally Posted by WatsonNimrod View Post
    Suppose like a lot of folk in Aberdeen in the 80s I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do (not helped by a C-UNT of a guidance teacher who pointed out I wouldn't make anything of myself) so with a few average Highers drifted into an HND course at the old RGIT with like minded potential wasters like myself and similarly drifted into an oil company, probably like a lot of folk at that time.

Don't get me wrong, its been OK, but would love to jack it and go back and study again.
    Go for it min, I don’t obviously know your personal circumstances, however I do know we are a long time dead and if a small sacrifice regarding studying/work ethics assists in standing free in the big picture...job done!!

SF

9 o's, 4 highers, Business Sudies degree from RGU, Qualified Accountant (ACMA), but don't hold that against me.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeachend View Post
    I believe you need a formal qualification these days.
    Sadly one of the consequences of degrees being so ubiquitous nowadays. Unless you need a degree for a particular profession (Law, Medicine, Engineering) or are studying a hard science, the usefulness of a degree basically amounts to a few lines on a CV.

Although higher education can be beneficial to a wide cross section of the public, I think relatively few should be taking 3 or 4 years out to study a full academic bachelors degree. There are questions of social mobility that come into play but you don't solve that by giving a degree to everyone who can spell their name.

Slightly ironic that the two ald buggers who beat the anti English drum the most refer to o levels rather than o grades ! ☺

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Buc View Post
    Where in Spain are you Mondo
    Benidorm at the minute. I'm in the campervan and a few friends came over to a hotel for new year.

Flying back for a few days on Sunday as I have a hospital appointment then I'll be back over here to head south.

I have booked a week back home to take in the hibs away and huns at home games though. Flights are so cheap I thought I'd get a few games in.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast