+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1969 pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Dobmeister View Post
    I`m old enough (60)to have been at all 3 of the games being discussed here. I don`t remember that much about them. I think we beat the Russian team 2-0 but would have to check that.
    Yes Dobs I was at the game and Ches got both goals - although at that time they played in a Russian league Kharkov is in the Ukraine and the version of the team that we played then went bust a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    Yes Dobs I was at the game and Ches got both goals - although at that time they played in a Russian league Kharkov is in the Ukraine and the version of the team that we played then went bust a few years ago.
    Thanks. We of course regarded them as "Russian or Soviet" at the time but as you say Ukraine is correct.
    Last edited by Dobmeister; 10-01-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasQOS View Post
    It must be an age thing , always thought the Celtic game was our 50th . Hopefully we will get someone better (more attractive) than Carlisle for our 100th , can't believe there is no word on who we are playing. Knowing the comments about our chairman , it might be the Gers lol.

well we were formed in 1919 and leeds untited were also formed in 1919 ,now a home and away doubleheader 2 leg tie for a 100 year centenary cup could be played for here .

I was at the Carlisle (Jimmy Welsh.... now there was a great character) and Kharkov matches. The translator for the Russian match was JZ Graham a teacher at the Academy. (sorry for being Albertzish)

Stranraer or Workington Reds being lined up for the Centenary match perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    well we were formed in 1919 and leeds untited were also formed in 1919 ,now a home and away doubleheader 2 leg tie for a 100 year centenary cup could be played for here .

Dream on. Not many big teams are interested in playing on the plastic surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagapapa View Post
    I was at the Carlisle (Jimmy Welsh.... now there was a great character) and Kharkov matches. The translator for the Russian match was JZ Graham a teacher at the Academy. (sorry for being Albertzish)
    Check out @hammerqos’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/hammerqos/status...781410816?s=09 Conformation of Mr Graham interpreting

Check out @hammerqos’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/hammerqos/status...430596608?s=09 Team line ups

Check out @ScotsFootyCards’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/ScotsFootyCards/...560632832?s=09

Re the Challenge match against Celtic, I remember this, I think the score was 5-1, and my (hazy) recollection was that Celtic put a strong team out. I was actually ballboy at the time, I recall peering in at the Celtic changing room and Jimmie Johnston winking at us!!
    Being ballboy had a little bit of status then, you certainly got a grand view of the game. We had to keep moving up and down the park because if we stood in one place too long the fans would moan at us to get out of the way (at least in the better attended games, I think the crowds were still reasonable then). One downside of the job was that when the ball was booted out the pack which was a fairly regular occurrence, we had to earn our 2 shillings and go and get it. Back then, once you brought the original ball back it replaced the 'substitute' ball, because I think the rule was that they had try to use the original ball throughout, a somewhat pointless rule as far as I could see.
    Happy days....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)