Quote Originally Posted by Edqos1 View Post
Re the Challenge match against Celtic, I remember this, I think the score was 5-1, and my (hazy) recollection was that Celtic put a strong team out. I was actually ballboy at the time, I recall peering in at the Celtic changing room and Jimmie Johnston winking at us!!
Being ballboy had a little bit of status then, you certainly got a grand view of the game. We had to keep moving up and down the park because if we stood in one place too long the fans would moan at us to get out of the way (at least in the better attended games, I think the crowds were still reasonable then). One downside of the job was that when the ball was booted out the pack which was a fairly regular occurrence, we had to earn our 2 shillings and go and get it. Back then, once you brought the original ball back it replaced the 'substitute' ball, because I think the rule was that they had try to use the original ball throughout, a somewhat pointless rule as far as I could see.
Happy days....
Well remember that they insisted if possible the original ball had to be used which nowadays would hold the game up a lot the number of times it is blootered over the east stand and Speedy sets off to retrieve it as the cost of a new one is
pretty expensive. The average attendance that season was 1,958.