+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1969 pictures

1969 pictures

I see there are some memories on another thread about the coo shed, however who remembers our 50th anniversary in 1969 ? I was 15 back then and remember us playing Celtic to commemorate that anniversary.
    It was more a Queens select but a great match, QOS scored first and my brother was still celebrating when I told him to calm down , as it was 1-1. Think the final score was 5-2 to Celtic , but a fun night with some great football played.
    Any pictures available and has anybody got a better memory than I have now.

A year before I was born Douglas. Ftivano might well have some memories of the game.

Think it might actually have been in 1968/69 season , so could have been 1968, memory not so good.

Name:  IMG-20190110-WA0000.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  69.2 KB Here's the programme cover

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Name:  IMG-20190110-WA0000.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  69.2 KB Here's the programme cover
    That was the Jimmy McKinnel testimonial game programme. Queens Golden Jubilee match was August 1969 versus
    Carlisle Utd which Queens won 3 - 2 with goals by Welsh, McIntyre and Mitchell - attendance 4.500 - admission to
    terracing 3 shillings - 15p nowadays

It must be an age thing , always thought the Celtic game was our 50th . Hopefully we will get someone better (more attractive) than Carlisle for our 100th , can't believe there is no word on who we are playing. Knowing the comments about our chairman , it might be the Gers lol.

The above is the programne front cover for a game that Queens played in Mar 70 at Palmerston against the Russian touring team Kharkov Metallist. This was the first game that Queens had played against a team from outwith the British Isles since we won the European Cup in 1936.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 10-01-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Was anyone at this game in 1970 ?

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Was anyone at this game in 1970 ?
    I`m old enough (60)to have been at all 3 of the games being discussed here. I don`t remember that much about them. I think we beat the Russian team 2-0 but would have to check that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)