+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former Notts winger Tony Flower has passed away

Former Notts winger Tony Flower has passed away

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news...assing-100119/

Tony Flower, who was introduced into league football by Notts in the early 1960s, has died after a long illness less than a month before his 74th birthday.

Flower was a natural left winger at a time when Notts had various players competing for inclusion in that position with the likes of Mike Barber (until a serious injury prematurely ended his career), Bobby Tait and, later, Frank Kirkup.

In March 1962, Flower made his only senior appearance of that season in a 2-1 defeat at Hull City. Just a year later he forced himself into the first team late into the season and enjoyed a run of 17 appearances, scoring his first two league goals.
    He joined other products of the successful Notts youth policy including Tony Hateley, Jeff Castle[sic], Dick Edwards and Tony Bircumshaw.

Barber’s injury, in a game at Watford in February 1964, gave Flower another chance and three more campaigns followed at Meadow Lane, with an aggregate of 92 appearances.

After his release from Meadow Lane Flower joined Halifax Town and, during his time with them, registered his 200th league outing.
    He later moved to Boston United where he had the misfortune to break a leg.

In his retirement from the game he continued to make his home in the Carlton district of Nottingham where he had been born.
    Sincere condolences are offered to Tony’s family in their sad loss.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 10-01-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news...assing-100119/

Tony Flower, who was introduced into league football by Notts in the early 1960s, has died after a long illness less than a month before his 74th birthday.

Flower was a natural left winger at a time when Notts had various players competing for inclusion in that position with the likes of Mike Barber (until a serious injury prematurely ended his career), Bobby Tait and, later, Frank Kirkup.

In March 1962, Flower made his only senior appearance of that season in a 2-1 defeat at Hull City. Just a year later he forced himself into the first team late into the season and enjoyed a run of 17 appearances, scoring his first two league goals.
    He joined other products of the successful Notts youth policy including Tony Hateley, Jeff Castle[sic], Dick Edwards and Tony Bircumshaw.

Barber’s injury, in a game at Watford in February 1964, gave Flower another chance and three more campaigns followed at Meadow Lane, with an aggregate of 92 appearances.

After his release from Meadow Lane Flower joined Halifax Town and, during his time with them, registered his 200th league outing.
    He later moved to Boston United where he had the misfortune to break a leg.

In his retirement from the game he continued to make his home in the Carlton district of Nottingham where he had been born.
    Sincere condolences are offered to Tony’s family in their sad loss.

The loss of any of our former players is sad news. RIP Tony.

I remember Tony Flower. He made his debut for Notts at the age of 17 and made 140 appearances in all competitions, scoring 17 goals, before moving to Halifax 5 years later. He’s second from the left on the middle row in this team photo.

Name:  Tony Flower.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  90.0 KB

I remember as a very small boy the thrill of catching, and throwing the ball back after an over hit shot, to Pete Butler, who is in the picture , and I think was the other goalkeeper with George Smith. My dad couldn’t stop laughing.

I see Alex Gibson is on the back row , he became Jack Dunnett’s driver .

I think you mean Jeff Astle not Castle, on Fantasy Football of " He's got a pineapple on his head " Jason Lee fame.
    I loved that show.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    I think you mean Jeff Astle not Castle, on Fantasy Football of " He's got a pineapple on his head " Jason Lee fame.
    I loved that show.
    Indeed, I spotted that and marked the error accordingly when I posted it. Bit of a glaring cockup to get such a famous player's name wrong I thought.

R I P Tony l remember watching you back in the early days of your career.

RIP Tony another Notts favourite of mine...

Good old George Smith what a voice he had on him no fecking about when he came out for the ball...

The lad bottom row two in from Jack Wheeler is Richard Stead full-back, knew him from my Arnold Town days...

Is that Dick Edwards centre row far right ?

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    I remember Tony Flower. He made his debut for Notts at the age of 17 and made 140 appearances in all competitions, scoring 17 goals, before moving to Halifax 5 years later. He’s second from the left on the middle row in this team photo.

Name:  Tony Flower.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  90.0 KB
    Notts County FC 1965/66
    Back row; Coates, Hampton, Bates, Moulden, Shiels, Woolley, Gibson, Hannah, Carver, Pace
    Middle row; Bircumshaw, Flower, Barber, Smith, Sheridan, Butler, Kirkup, Still, Edwards
    Front row; Wheeler(Trainer), Agnew, Stead, Northridge, Rogers, Beresford, Ward, Coleman(Manager)

I left Nottingham that season and not sure I know half the names, Moulden, Shiels, Kirkup, Still, Northridge, Rogers, Beresford.

Mention is made of Flower competing for a place with Barber, classy winger, but I don't recall Barber playing that many games before his injury.

RIP and condolences.

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    RIP Tony another Notts favourite of mine...

Good old George Smith what a voice he had on him no fecking about when he came out for the ball...

The lad bottom row two in from Jack Wheeler is Richard Stead full-back, knew him from my Arnold Town days...

Is that Dick Edwards centre row far right ?
    Plus George's mazey Dribbles down the wing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast