+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Match Revisited

Big Match Revisited

BT Sport 2 2200 tonight. Highlights from games from England from 14th May 1983. Oh and one, just one, game from Scotland.

Nothing changed in all they years! 58 mins Englified highlights v 2 mins Scottish. Great two minutes though, longer than *** and twice as orgasmic 😏

To me, looked like we scored a third, David Dodds off under side of the bar, bounced behind the line, never really see it mentioned?

That would have been 3-0 comfortable day, instead they got one back in the first half, last have been quite nerve wracking, I experienced the Hampden second half in 94, was it like that on the day?

Also funny seeing half the provie end not celebrating their goal, full of arabs

94 was nerve jangling x 1000 but the game at the midden was worse as we really should have had the game out of sight......pure unadulterated ecstasy when that whistle went!

part of history and recorded for posterity in colour

edited to say oor group all thought that Doddsy,s "goal" was 100% IN and should have stood!
    Last edited by Eamons_lost_wig_04; 11-01-2019 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamons_lost_wig_04 View Post
    94 was nerve jangling x 1000 but the game at the midden was worse as we really should have had the game out of sight......pure unadulterated ecstasy when that whistle went!

part of history and recorded for posterity in colour

edited to say oor group all thought that Doddsy,s "goal" was 100% IN and should have stood!
    It was weird hearing the Jock Brown STV commentary rather than Archie's iconic 'Might Just Get The Chip In...........'. I was in the stand enclosure but my Dad didn't get in and had to go in the Provie Rd End with literally thousands of other Arabs. I too thought Doddsy's effort had gone in and if it had, after the way they started that game, then not only were we going to win the League, but we would have done it with a record score against the Funsters.

As it was, we played a bit more cautiously thereafter, but, despite any Fun propaganda to the contrary, they were never really in any trouble and saw it out quite comfortably.

So, in the end, they did it. And they did it at Dens.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Also funny seeing half the provie end not celebrating their goal, full of arabs
    I was in there with the infamous Pigdenis. Was too young (8) to fully appreciate it.

I'd forgotten about Dodds' 'was it in or was it not?' but what I clearly remember is Ralphie hitting the bar with a similar chip from about the same distance when it was 2-0 which would have been us in easy street & we could have celebrated for 60 minutes instead of being on tenterhooks for half an hour after Fun goal. They were trying like bears but thankfully there were no good chances for them that involved ****ting yourself. Anyone remember Ralph's near thing cos I ain't never seen it since that day & like I said I'd forgotten the Dodds near thing.

Footnote - did you watch the Derby v Fulham game at the start of the programme? Fans were congregated on the sidelines & byelines in the last minutes. Derby fan kicked the Fulham player on the thigh as he went down the wing, couldn't believe it!!

I was in the Provie Rd end at that game, along with many others. Initially, the stewards were telling us not to wear our colours, and most of us in there respected that...until Ralphie's goal went in and everyone went mental and the colours came out for the rest of the game. Well done to the dees fans in that end for just letting us get on with it. It must've been painful, so well done to them for not causing any bother.

Quote Originally Posted by cybershed View Post
    I was in the Provie Rd end at that game, along with many others. Initially, the stewards were telling us not to wear our colours, and most of us in there respected that...until Ralphie's goal went in and everyone went mental and the colours came out for the rest of the game. Well done to the dees fans in that end for just letting us get on with it. It must've been painful, so well done to them for not causing any bother.
    Me and five mates too, we were Nearly at the turnstiles at the TC Keay end when they closed them, we turned tail and sprinted up to the Provie end followed by a couple of hundred other Arabs, we went through the turnstiles and a follower of fun remarked we would be “oot yir depth in here boys” lol he could’na have imagined just a few more minutes the bottom corner would be full of Arabs. Think they appreciated that we were about to witness something very special.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)