+ Visit England Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alf....

Alf....

I was watching a guide dog being trained today and it was very interesting to watch but about 10ft behind the them there was another woman just walking and not doing anything just watching,who would she be then,was she training the trainer?

I have a feeling of deja vu

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post
    I was watching a guide dog being trained today and it was very interesting to watch but about 10ft behind the them there was another woman just walking and not doing anything just watching,who would she be then,was she training the trainer?
    Quite possibly yes Chalky ..They watch you to see how you handle the dog and the dog handles you..

Or it could have been what we did....When we gave our guide dog puppy back for proper training when it was About 13 months old,they train them fully for another year,then invite you back to watch them from behind as they do a proper training course around town.. We had to go to Beverley in Yorkshire to watch ours do its lap of honour around Beverley ..It was quite emotional to see just how good it had become with full training .. Then afterwards you got to meet up with the dog again for a cuddle and play,which was quite Emotional again when it recognised you after a year away..I must be getting soft in my old age..lol
    That dog is now looking after a blind lady who lives in Hull ,bless her ..

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Quite possibly yes Chalky ..They watch you to see how you handle the dog and the dog handles you..

Or it could have been what we did....When we gave our guide dog puppy back for proper training when it was About 13 months old,they train them fully for another year,then invite you back to watch them from behind as they do a proper training course around town.. We had to go to Beverley in Yorkshire to watch ours do its lap of honour around Beverley ..It was quite emotional to see just how good it had become with full training .. Then afterwards you got to meet up with the dog again for a cuddle and play,which was quite Emotional again when it recognised you after a year away..I must be getting soft in my old age..lol
    That must be hard giving them up to begin with Alf, and then going through an emotional one-off reunion knowing that you've got to say adios to them again.

I was in Beverley town again only last week on my way home from Hornsea, its a nice old fashioned little town isnt it.

It was very hard with the first few puppy dogs Acido,but it's like anything else,you just have to get used to it .. We are just puppy boarders now over the winter months ,so don't tend to have them more than a couple of weeks whilst people are on their holidays or Ill and can't look after them..

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    That must be hard giving them up to begin with Alf, and then going through an emotional one-off reunion knowing that you've got to say adios to them again.

I was in Beverley town again only last week on my way home from Hornsea, its a nice old fashioned little town isnt it.
    It used to be a decent night out in Beverly. I used to ride out that way on bike when I lived in Hull beautiful part of the world around there.

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    I have a feeling of deja vu
    I put it on Cumbrian Crack hoping that it might get a couple of replies for you Griff

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post

It was fascinating to watch,I kept my distance behind but I'm wondering if there was anyone behind me and we was forming a train
    It's amazing how the dog can be taught how to not cross the road when there is a car approaching even though the trainer is telling it to cross,there must must be a lot of work involved and I doff my cap to you and everyone involved Alf

I put it on Cumbrian Crack hoping that it might get a couple of replies for you Griff
    Wondered what the Deja vu comment meant..lol

It was fascinating to watch,I kept my distance behind but I'm wondering if there was anyone behind me and we was forming a train
    It's amazing how the dog can be taught how to not cross the road when there is a car approaching even though the trainer is telling it to cross,there must must be a lot of work involved and I doff my cap to you and everyone involved Alf
    Cheers Chalky,it's nice to know people appreciate how many hours work is involved and also the time and money that is spent in training up a guide dog.. Many dogs don't make the grade and are used as help and assistance dogs for other people with problems as well as being sold to the public if they can't do these jobs .. It's amazingly satisfying to see a dog that you have helped to train doing its job with a blind/ partially sighted person..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast