+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Accy report

Accy report

Where to start? I'll just go randomly with my thoughts as they pop into my head.

Roos. Didn't have a lot to do but was sharp from start to finish. FL keeps saying players with the shirt have it to lose. Roos has done nothing to warrant dropping. That late low save at the death showed how concentrated he still was.

Bogle had a very good game. Ref got both his cards right on Bogle. I am perlexed that, so late in the game, we had 8 outfield players up for a corner and that the 2 remaining were marking zones rather than having one of the two on their one man forward. That positioning, which has to have been playing orders, left us vulnerable and Bogle "took one for the team" aka cheated.

Holmes was excellent. No more to say about him.

Wilson yet again got absolutely no protection from the ref. Unless he starts getting some (protection that is :wink: ) hos career may well be a short one.

Mount wasn't at the races for whatever reason. Bennett replaced him, apparently for an injury, on 37 minutes and was way more involved than Mount had been.

Waggy worked his socks off up top and in defence and deserved his 3 days after his birthday goal.

Barlaser's 2nd yellow was deserved IMO. Once you launch yourself into the air you have lost all control and what happens after that is a consequence of the launch. Make contact with the man rather than the ball and a card is always "on the cards".

That we didn't take hold of the game by the scruff of the neck when Barlaser was sent off should surprise nobody. Since THAT game down the road, when has a Derby side ever done well against 10?

Was that a hard fought game? Defnitely and it was a typicallly great, blood and guts, old fashioned FA Cup Tie that the Stanley just about did enough to deserve a replay. Was that pitch, in modern terms, unfit for purpose? Probably but we won 2 League titles playing on a pitch worse than that back in the 70s. Not every club can afford the kind of pristine pitches we see week in and out in the SBC and PL. It's all part of the game and evens things out somewhat.

Overall the game was lacking finesse and all the things we see on the snooker table like pitches we play on most weeks but it was a game for the nostalgic among us and definitely one that is "what the FA Cup is all about". I enjoyed it.

Their manage has bemoaned some decisions that went against them. I agree with him on most, however, he hasn't mentioned any of the wrong decisions that went their way. The ref wasn't biased. He was closer to being incompetent IMO.

The fallout of this game brings 2 very important decisions for FL tp make prior to Friday's game against PNE. 1) Bogle is suspended and Wisdom is injured so who plays right back? I'd be tempted to go with a back 3 of Keogh, Tomori and Malone a MF 5 Holmes Bryson Hudds/Evans Wilson Bennett and Nuge and Waghorn up top going on the premise that Marriott won't be fit.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Where to start? I'll just go randomly with my thoughts as they pop into my head.

Roos. Didn't have a lot to do but was sharp from start to finish. FL keeps saying players with the shirt have it to lose. Roos has done nothing to warrant dropping. That late low save at the death showed how concentrated he still was.

Bogle had a very good game. Ref got both his cards right on Bogle. I am perlexed that, so late in the game, we had 8 outfield players up for a corner and that the 2 remaining were marking zones rather than having one of the two on their one man forward. That positioning, which has to have been playing orders, left us vulnerable and Bogle "took one for the team" aka cheated.

Holmes was excellent. No more to say about him.

Wilson yet again got absolutely no protection from the ref. Unless he starts getting some (protection that is :wink: ) hos career may well be a short one.

Mount wasn't at the races for whatever reason. Bennett replaced him, apparently for an injury, on 37 minutes and was way more involved than Mount had been.

Waggy worked his socks off up top and in defence and deserved his 3 days after his birthday goal.

Barlaser's 2nd yellow was deserved IMO. Once you launch yourself into the air you have lost all control and what happens after that is a consequence of the launch. Make contact with the man rather than the ball and a card is always "on the cards".

That we didn't take hold of the game by the scruff of the neck when Barlaser was sent off should surprise nobody. Since THAT game down the road, when has a Derby side ever done well against 10?

Was that a hard fought game? Defnitely and it was a typicallly great, blood and guts, old fashioned FA Cup Tie that the Stanley just about did enough to deserve a replay. Was that pitch, in modern terms, unfit for purpose? Probably but we won 2 League titles playing on a pitch worse than that back in the 70s. Not every club can afford the kind of pristine pitches we see week in and out in the SBC and PL. It's all part of the game and evens things out somewhat.

Overall the game was lacking finesse and all the things we see on the snooker table like pitches we play on most weeks but it was a game for the nostalgic among us and definitely one that is "what the FA Cup is all about". I enjoyed it.

Their manage has bemoaned some decisions that went against them. I agree with him on most, however, he hasn't mentioned any of the wrong decisions that went their way. The ref wasn't biased. He was closer to being incompetent IMO.

The fallout of this game brings 2 very important decisions for FL tp make prior to Friday's game against PNE. 1) Bogle is suspended and Wisdom is injured so who plays right back? I'd be tempted to go with a back 3 of Keogh, Tomori and Malone a MF 5 Holmes Bryson Hudds/Evans Wilson Bennett and Nuge and Waghorn up top going on the premise that Marriott won't be fit.
    Excellent report ‘Amster. Completely agree with your suggestion for Friday too. In fact I wish we’d go 3-5-2 or 3-4-1-2 more often...suits the players we have. Suspect Marriott will be okay...he’s been ill not injured apparently and I’d stick with Roos too. As you say, he’s done nothing wrong and has probably kept us in the Cup at both Saints and Stanley

Think we were linked with Barlaser before Christmas...seems a bit reckless so glad that came to nothing.

P.S. Still don’t know what’s wrong with Wisdom.
    Did Bogle ‘cheat’? I thought he just committed a foul and paid the price...unless you’re saying every foul is cheating. IMO Cooper cheated yesterday by deliberately using his arm to score but Bogle just committed a foul...albeit a professional one. Fine lines.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 27-01-2019 at 05:03 PM.

If Bogle "cheated" 20 yards closer to the halfway line, it would have just been a yellow. All fouls are cheating, I don't think what Bogle did was any worse than any other foul to deny a goal scoring chance. He took the red without complaint, and probably (along with Roos incredible low save) spared us extra time.

I thought Malone had his best game in a Rams shirt on Saturday, looks like the signing of Cole was a masterstroke even if he didn't play!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)