+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    More likely Bluegrass. I was advised before to get a resonator and that it's easier to pick up than what I think. Is that the case?
    Depends on the person as to whether it is easier to pick up. Bluegrass tends to be picked (with thumb pick and finger picks ) if you pick guitar I can see that it might not be such a leap.
    I prefer clawhammer played with middle finger nail and thumb more "folky " and I tend to hear the tune more. The basic "bum ditty " strum ( I say "bum titty") is pretty simple to learn and you can play basic tunes quickly ,the 5th string can really fill out the sound and a simple tune sounds fuller and more impressive

BUM -- Play one of the first 4 strings with your middle (or index) finger. This is a quarter note.
    DIT -- Strum with the back of your middle (or index) fingernail. This is an eighth note.
    TY -- Pluck the 5th string with your thumb. This is an eighth note.

Sometimes with Bluegrass picking you hear bluegrass but have difficulty naming the tune. That said there are some brilliant players and I should practice bluegrass picking more.
    The resonator throws out more sound and that suits that metallic picking and attack of bluegrass . You can of course play both types of music on openback and resonator ( some resonators can be removed and played open back). Resonator can be loud and often players will use a towel in pot of banjo to deaden the volume ( especially if you have a partner !)

Whatever you choose one of first banjer tunes to learn is "Simple Gifts" a Quaker tune . It is known to many as Lord of the Dance but of course the real words are "Stand free" in no time at all you will be sitting playing on a rocking chair outside the Pittodrie bar in your dungarees ,a fishing line and hook tied to your big toe ,telling varmints to git off yer property like the best of them

This why I shied away a few years ago. It's awfully complicated. I just want something to learn, crack out a few bluegrass tunes and not get abused when I go whitewater rafting.

Quote Originally Posted by erchieplum View Post
    what sort of banjo 5 string or tenor ? What sort of music and style of playing clawhammer /frailing would be an open back 5 string ,bluegrass style 5 string resonator Scottish/Irish trad 17 fret (Irish)short scale tenor
    You can spend an absolute fortune on a banjo with a tone ring itself costing more than a decent guitar.
    Have a look at https://www.andybanjo.com/
    Deering Goodtime do some really decent entry models and beyond as do Goldtone, probably best to try a more entry level until you see if you are serious . You can then upgrade but keep first as your go to practice one. Eagle music of Huddersfield are worth looking at online
    Alternatively you can get a 6 string "banjo" guitar but that not really the same learning the banjer
    I would endorse the Goldtone Erchie. If they are half as good as the Goldtone Tenor Guitar (which I have) ..Bruce Millers closing down sale

Quote Originally Posted by stewarty27 View Post
    I would endorse the Goldtone Erchie. If they are half as good as the Goldtone Tenor Guitar (which I have) ..Bruce Millers closing down sale
    I have a Ozark 3372 Tenor Guitar which I really like ( without fishman pickup ) I have been trying to find a soundhole pickup which fits a 80mm diameter for occasional home use but no luck so far.

It is mad how many instruments that you can accumulate
    resonator and openback banjos, 2 mandolins, mandocaster, tenor guitar,6 ukuleles, some cast off guitars etc. Contemplating a shortscale tenor banjo ( although one of cast offs was brutalised to be similar to tenor banjo ( pre tenor guitar )
    Add to that a piano, drumkit, percussion, whistles , harmonicas and wee Erchies classical guitars, electric and one of those Ed Sheeran electro acoustic martin thingummyjigs.....I should really try and buy the Bruce Millers musical clock ,fit it to the front of the hoose and be done with it !

Quote Originally Posted by erchieplum View Post
    I have a Ozark 3372 Tenor Guitar which I really like ( without fishman pickup ) I have been trying to find a soundhole pickup which fits a 80mm diameter for occasional home use but no luck so far.

It is mad how many instruments that you can accumulate
    resonator and openback banjos, 2 mandolins, mandocaster, tenor guitar,6 ukuleles, some cast off guitars etc. Contemplating a shortscale tenor banjo ( although one of cast offs was brutalised to be similar to tenor banjo ( pre tenor guitar )
    Add to that a piano, drumkit, percussion, whistles , harmonicas and wee Erchies classical guitars, electric and one of those Ed Sheeran electro acoustic martin thingummyjigs.....I should really try and buy the Bruce Millers musical clock ,fit it to the front of the hoose and be done with it !
    You sound like a man after my own heart Erchie. . 5 Guitars 1 Tenor,2 Mandolins, Fylde Bouzouki, Tenor banjo, Always fancied a Cittern. Think I always wanted to be a fiddle player ..Alas.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345