+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What happens if/when we go down?

What happens if/when we go down?

I wonder what will happen to players like Enzio and Hemmings if/when we get relegated. They clearly aren't non-league players, and they certainly aren't on non-league wages. I guess we'll have to sell at a fraction of their actual value - less if clubs realise we need to sell. It's a massive shame, eh. In a parallel universe where everything didn't go to ****, Enzio is exactly the type of player we'd end up selling for a decent profit. Oh well.

Also, I wonder what Hardy would decide to do - fund Notts to get back into the league and then push on from there, or look to sell up ASAP. I know a few fans are saying the club needs to be reset, and a few years in the Conference might do us good. But this is Notts - we'll end up in a relegation dog fight again knowing us.

These are the darkest days I've known as a Notts fan. I know we've flirted with relegation before, but I never thought we'd actually go down. Now I can't see how we won't go down, but I still can't quite get my head around the idea of playing teams like Maidstone and Maidenhead. I'm not sure where these places are!

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I wonder what will happen to players like Enzio and Hemmings if/when we get relegated. They clearly aren't non-league players, and they certainly aren't on non-league wages. I guess we'll have to sell at a fraction of their actual value - less if clubs realise we need to sell. It's a massive shame, eh. In a parallel universe where everything didn't go to ****, Enzio is exactly the type of player we'd end up selling for a decent profit. Oh well.

Also, I wonder what Hardy would decide to do - fund Notts to get back into the league and then push on from there, or look to sell up ASAP. I know a few fans are saying the club needs to be reset, and a few years in the Conference might do us good. But this is Notts - we'll end up in a relegation dog fight again knowing us.

These are the darkest days I've known as a Notts fan. I know we've flirted with relegation before, but I never thought we'd actually go down. Now I can't see how we won't go down, but I still can't quite get my head around the idea of playing teams like Maidstone and Maidenhead. I'm not sure where these places are!
    One or two were sniping at Hardy today, and I'm not claiming he hasn't made mistakes, but I have to feel sympathy for him. He put a good amount of money and trust in Kevin Nolan in the summer and brought in the targets the manager wanted, and to be repaid with this rubbish from a group of so-called professional footballers is a disgrace really. The only positive I can think of at the moment is that you learn more in adversity, but FFS, he must be gutted! I know I would be!

Agreed. If there's one bloke who's stood his corner, it's Big Al. Unfortunately, the Cinerama League is a sandtrap. Some clubs drop down and are never heard of again. The decent one's seem to take an average of 5 ish seasons to get their League status back.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Agreed. If there's one bloke who's stood his corner, it's Big Al. Unfortunately, the Cinerama League is a sandtrap. Some clubs drop down and are never heard of again. The decent one's seem to take an average of 5 ish seasons to get their League status back.
    Crowds of 3000
    Away support of 50
    No atmosphere
    The big sign on the Sirrel stand having to come down
    Most away games 6 hours round trip at least
    Dreadful football

Not a prospect I am even contemplating however inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    One or two were sniping at Hardy today, and I'm not claiming he hasn't made mistakes, but I have to feel sympathy for him. He put a good amount of money and trust in Kevin Nolan in the summer and brought in the targets the manager wanted, and to be repaid with this rubbish from a group of so-called professional footballers is a disgrace really. The only positive I can think of at the moment is that you learn more in adversity, but FFS, he must be gutted! I know I would be!
    Yeah, I'd agree that he's done everything he can to make it work, but throwing money at a club is no good if the decision making and strategy are off. But yeah, I don't think anyone really saw this coming, and Hardy was right to back Nolan last summer. I for one thought we'd made some cracking signings and was looking forward to another promotion challenge. Crazy how fast things can change.

Knowing Notts luck the conference will probably kick us down a league further like they did Stockport, Scarborough etc. Can't see anything improving as so disillusioned

Smaller crowds, even less talented players to watch and unless the club turns it around and stops haemorrhaging money a bleak future that makes the present look like the sunny uplands.
    Never been so low as a Notts fan, fully expect us to go down this season as things stand.

I'd be amazed if we bothered opening up all 4 stands for games in the conference. You would think we'd switch to saying we're the "Worlds Oldest Professional Football Club" if that's actually accurate.

If players like Enzio and Hemmings had decent agents they would have put relegation release clauses in their contracts when they signed for us, likewise if we knew what we were doing we'd have clauses reducing the players wages if relegated. Although at the start of the season the thought of relegation probably wouldn't have crossed anyones mind. I've said before, I'd be surprised if Enzio didn't have a release clause just for not getting promoted considering he didn't want to play another year in League 2 before we signed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    I'd be amazed if we bothered opening up all 4 stands for games in the conference. You would think we'd switch to saying we're the "Worlds Oldest Professional Football Club" if that's actually accurate.

If players like Enzio and Hemmings had decent agents they would have put relegation release clauses in their contracts when they signed for us, likewise if we knew what we were doing we'd have clauses reducing the players wages if relegated. Although at the start of the season the thought of relegation probably wouldn't have crossed anyones mind. I've said before, I'd be surprised if Enzio didn't have a release clause just for not getting promoted considering he didn't want to play another year in League 2 before we signed him.
    We will be watching 11 Elliot Hewitts

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post

Enzio and Hemmings are both the longest contracted players at the club with their contracts expiring in the Summer of 2021 so they have 2 1/2 years left to run. This will obviously be 2 years in the summer. If they don’t have a relegation release clause in their contracts then I’ve no idea. I guess the options are they could put in transfer requests or negotiate terminations for their contracts (to save the club their wages but pay them off???) or we could sell them??

Also I don’t like the fact of us having to drop out of the football league to reset and go again. A club with the history like ours should be at its lowest ebb around the bottom of league two and no further. We are where we deserve to be though. I just think if we were to drop out of the league it could set the club back years. It’s easy to say look at Lincoln, Mansfield and Tranmere, but there are plenty like Darlington, Wrexham, Scarborough, Halifax, York, Stockport, Torquay and recently Chesterfield, Hartlepool and Leyton Orient who have not bounced back straight away. Some have more or less slipped away.

For me if this club drops out of the football league in footballing terms it’s a major catastrophe and could set the club back years and to a point that the “glory years” to millennials will be known as when we were in League One and League Two.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast