+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ratings vs Cambridge

Ratings vs Cambridge

In my view, not a lack of effort today - more a lack of quality. Which is arguably even more worrying. A team who’d lost their last five away games looked better than us; stronger, fitter and more incisive.

Ardley IMO didn’t help things today. With Kellett and Vaughan injured (both big losses on current form), I’d have switched to a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 (and left Stead out); if not from the start, then definitely from half-time. Our front two were very isolated and Cambridge were able to leave the two young lads either side of Duffy on the ball in the knowledge they’d soon get it back. Bottom line though is that we really didn’t need 3 CBS, and 7 defensive players, on the pitch when we’re chasing the game.

The subs were strange too.

Schofield - 7 - Positive debut. Goal was the other side to where I sit but hard to see how he could’ve prevented it. One good save before that and reasonably assured at dealing with high balls, though kicking was hit and miss. A positive though given what a baptism of fire it was for a ****age keeper.

Barclay - 5.5 - Proof that throwing promising young loanees in won’t always be the answer. Did ok but wasteful on the ball and didn’t offer the threat from attacking set pieces that Brisley (for example) would have.

Duffy - 7 - Anyone blaming him in any way for today or saying he didn’t play well is doing so on preconceived opinions. Had a good game himself with a number of important blocks/interceptions but more importantly talked the two young defenders either side of him AND the keeper through the game. Gets a lot of stick but in my mind undoubtedly the best CB we have.

Bird - 6 - Flitted between giving it away far too easily and doing something productive, as he was often the spare man on the ball. In his defence, there wasn’t a lot of movement in front of him. Strong defensively and a really good prospect.

Hewitt - 6 - Another one maligned after but hard to see what more he could’ve done. Our only bits of good play in the first half came through him.

O’Brien - 8* - The one real positive. Got about the pitch, vocal, wound-up the opposition, clever use of the ball, had our one shot on target. A pretty faultless display. Particularly as he had to play alongside...

Milsom - 4 - Has he had a good game since he came back? Wasteful on the ball, offered very little going forward or defensively. Has to be dropped if Vaughan’s back next week, surely?

Evina - 5.5 - One brilliant run forward first half but was given the runaround defensively by their quick #7. Tries hard but not sure he’s good enough.

Alessandra - 6 - Clever use of the ball but lacks the pace and energy to really hurt teams in the way an in-form Kellett does. Some good moments but when he was in goal-scoring/creating positions, generally hung onto the ball too long and the chance was wasted.

Stead - 4 - The model pro but we should not be relying on him to play 90 minutes every week. Hard to see what his role was today; didn’t win a header (his man scored the goal), didn’t link the play, didn’t offer any threat. Second touch a tackle. Really, really poor.

Dennis - 6 - The only one moving first half which often meant we went long unnecessarily as he plays on the last man (and there were no other options). Self created our two best chances. Moved deeper to accommodate Etete for the last 10 which removed all scoring threat we had.

Thomas - 1 - Seriously, how many chances is he going to get? Has ability but uses it approximately 1 game in 10. Would much sooner us use one of our own young players who in some way cares and doesn’t believe they’re God’s gift to football. Second home game in a row he’s come on and still been our worst player.

Etete - 6 - Hard to judge him. Worked hard but no real chance to show what he can do in an attacking sense.

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    In my view, not a lack of effort today - more a lack of quality. Which is arguably even more worrying. A team who’d lost their last five away games looked better than us; stronger, fitter and more incisive.

Ardley IMO didn’t help things today. With Kellett and Vaughan injured (both big losses on current form), I’d have switched to a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 (and left Stead out); if not from the start, then definitely from half-time. Our front two were very isolated and Cambridge were able to leave the two young lads either side of Duffy on the ball in the knowledge they’d soon get it back. Bottom line though is that we really didn’t need 3 CBS, and 7 defensive players, on the pitch when we’re chasing the game.

Schofield - 7 - Positive debut. Goal was the other side to where I sit but hard to see how he could’ve prevented it. One good save before that and reasonably assured at dealing with high balls, though kicking was hit and miss. A positive though given what a baptism of fire it was for a ****age keeper.

Barclay - 5.5 - Proof that throwing promising young loanees in won’t always be the answer. Did ok but wasteful on the ball and didn’t offer the threat from attacking set pieces that Brisley (for example) would have.

Duffy - 7 - Anyone blaming him in any way for today or saying he didn’t play well is doing so on preconceived opinions. Had a good game himself with a number of important blocks/interceptions but more importantly talked the two young defenders either side of him AND the keeper through the game. Gets a lot of stick but in my mind undoubtedly the best CB we have.

Bird - 6 - Flitted between giving it away far too easily and doing something productive, as he was often the spare man on the ball. In his defence, there wasn’t a lot of movement in front of him. Strong defensively and a really good prospect.

Hewitt - 6 - Another one maligned after but hard to see what more he could’ve done. Our only bits of good play in the first half came through him.

O’Brien - 8* - The one real positive. Got about the pitch, vocal, wound-up the opposition, clever use of the ball, had our one shot on target. A pretty faultless display. Particularly as he had to play alongside...

Milsom - 4 - Has he had a good game since he came back? Wasteful on the ball, offered very little going forward or defensively. Has to be dropped if Vaughan’s back next week, surely?

Evina - 5.5 - One brilliant run forward first half but was given the runaround defensively by their quick #7. Tries hard but not sure he’s good enough.

Alessandra - 6 - Clever use of the ball but lacks the pace and energy to really hurt teams in the way an in-form Kellett does. Some good moments but when he was in goal-scoring/creating positions, generally hung onto the ball too long and the chance was wasted.

Stead - 4 - The model pro but we should not be relying on him to play 90 minutes every week. Hard to see what his role was today; didn’t win a header (his man scored the goal), didn’t link the play, didn’t offer any threat. Second touch a tackle. Really, really poor.

Dennis - 6 - The only one moving first half which often meant we went long unnecessarily as he plays on the last man (and there were no other options). Self created our two best chances. Moved deeper to accommodate Etete for the last 10 which removed all scoring threat we had.

Thomas - 1 - Seriously, how many chances is he going to get? Has ability but uses it approximately 1 game in 10. Would much sooner us use one of our own young players who in some way cares and doesn’t believe they’re God’s gift to football. Second home game in a row he’s come on and still been our worst player.

Etete - 6 - Hard to judge him. Worked hard but no real chance to show what he can do in an attacking sense.
    6 for Hewitt? You must be kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post

I think he meant -6

Following on from the good performance against Bury and 3 goals against Colchester playing 3-5-2, Ardley would have hoped for more of the same today. We never got on the front foot, gave the ball at an alarming rate and looked pretty clueless against a rubbish side...

Schofield - 7 - I was sceptical about throwing him in, but he did everything asked of him. Some of his touches were poor and he shanked a few into touch, though. A bigger test will no doubt await him at Yeovil.

Hewitt - 6 - Did OK going forward in the first half, faded in the second when he seemed to always be cutting back and crossing on his weaker left foot. Not a right back, but we had no option but to stick him there.

Barclay - 6 - Solid enough defensively, distribution was pretty poor.

Duffy - 7 - Defended well and was vocal to help the young players alongside him (although not sure giving Bird a mouthful towards the end was much use).

Bird - 6 - Saw quite a bit of the ball, but failed to offer any decent passing. That brilliant crossfield ball against Bury on his home debut is starting to look like a one-off.

Evina - 6 - Got forward OK, struggled defensively. Par for the course. Couple of mi**** crosses were some of our best efforts on goal.

O'Brien - 7 - Involved throughout, always talking and trying to lead. Decent effort that forced their chubby keeper to at least dirty his shorts. Needs younger legs around him.

Milsom - 3 - I despair every time I see his name on the team sheet. If we don't have a better midfield option than this, we are doomed.

Alessandra - 4 - Needed to be the creative force in midfield, but struggled to impose himself on the game. Too lightweight.

Stead - 4 - Has struggled for form in the past month, also struggling to hold the ball up. We need a strong, mobile target man, otherwise we're going down without a fight.

Dennis - 5 - Lived off scraps and hit two efforts agonisingly wide. Still not sure what his actual game is.

Subs: Thomas - 3 - Please send him back to Sheffield. It's the fact that he's got talent but not the application that makes him so frustrating.

Etete - 5 - Lots of cameos in the past couple of months, but has yet to actually look like scoring. Maybe send him out on loan to the National League to toughen him up?

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    I think he meant -6
    I wouldn't have gave him anything, the same as the rest of the utter utter c***s. Sorry for ranting but how can these players be defended?

One of many factors in our decline during the second half of last season was Stead (and Shola) running out of steam. He never stops trying, but you can't cheat the years forever and he just loses sharpness as he gets tired, plus he never has been a good target man. Managers, other players and fans look at his height and assume he's a perfect target man, but actually he's far too keen to play for easy fouls and rarely wins headers. If you want someone to stand his ground, battle the centre-half and hold up the ball to relieve pressure and build attacks, Stead isn't your man. He's more of a support striker, but he's a fading force in that role too, and offers no pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
    What did he do wrong? I get that people have players they do/don’t rate overall but I’m taking this game in isolation (eg I like Stead, but he was poor today; I don’t like Duffy, but he was good today).

There were much bigger problems today than a limited player filling-in out of position. I can’t remember any chances/problems coming from their left, but stand to be corrected.

Cambridge came with two tactics today.
    Double mark Stead on the long balls and get behind our wing backs. It was as easy as that!
    We didn’t have a shot on target.
    I genuinely (and foolishly) felt optimistic this morning and thought we would turn them over.

What did he do wrong? I get that people have players they do/don’t rate overall but I’m taking this game in isolation (eg I like Stead, but he was poor today; I don’t like Duffy, but he was good today).

There were much bigger problems today than a limited player filling-in out of position. I can’t remember any chances/problems coming from their left, but stand to be corrected.
    He was playing as a wing back. Can you remember him causing Cambridge any problems coming from our right? I remember the ball going out of play a lot. He wasn't as bad defensively as Evina, whose right winger owned him, but offered far less going forwards. I would give him 4, in that position.

Hewitt is taking a lot of flack but these idiots we have as “managers” keep playing in the RWB or RB position when it’s obvious he is hopeless there.

This lot will go down as the players that take us down I couldn’t care less if we got rid of the whole lot of them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast