+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Stewart Milne our Chairman....

This might be slightly morbid, if Stewart Milne dropped dead tommorow he would at least achieve his dream. And a lot of Dons fans would be happier also.

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    This might be slightly morbid, if Stewart Milne dropped dead tommorow he would at least achieve his dream. And a lot of Dons fans would be happier also.
    It's not morbid. It's feckin sick.

Milne's record of appointment of managers has been absolutely abysmal. Only one appointment has been good and that has been McInnes. I don't think we should get rid of McInnes but if we were to do so, Milne again will be the decision maker in appointing McInnes' successor which fills me with dread and which is why I think we are much better off sticking with McInnes.

Quote Originally Posted by tencaat View Post
    Had it been the 70s or early 80s he absolutely would have been

However by 2003 employment laws had evolved. After the incident he admitted to having alcohol issues (thirsty as ****) and as such would have to have been referred to the club's Occupational Health service for assessment/treatment and a work capability assessment.....if he complied with the treatment plan it would have been difficult but not impossible to give him the boot. In the world of fixed contracts it's just easier to pay up someone's contract when you want them out.....
    Utter rubbish. Drunk on the job which would have been easy enough to prove stick on gross misconduct perfectly reasonable grounds for immediate dismissal.
    He would have been highly unlikely to contest it given presumably he was bladdered when they stuck him in the boot so highly unlikely it was remotely close to being the first time
    Last edited by Kilgore trout; 13-01-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Milne is a money grabbing Tory just like every other fitba chairman in the UK.

However, I'm a lot more hopeful about the future now that Cormack is on the board. It does seem likely that Milne would step down after we move to Kingsford.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    None whatsoever. People have always questioned his motives for buying into AFC. As far as I’m aware he wasnt into football was he? Hes certainly proved over the years he knows f*ck all about it. I’ve never bought into the ‘sell pittodrie for houses’ theory either.

I think he had two main motivations. Use AFC to promote himself/other interests & for networking. Certainly nobody down here had ever heard of him until he bought AFC. It would also open a few doors.

If being chairman of AFC wasnt good for Stewart Milne, he would never have got involved
    Yep, spot on.

I don’t believe for a second he’s gained financially directly out of AFC - how could he? You dinna make money from a Scottish Fitba club unless your Dermot Desmond.

The “turning pittodrie into flats” idea is patantly pish too - given the size of his building business the purchase of pittodrie and the financial return for flats / houses being built is very small beer.

No, it’s the free advertising/ exposure for his business and the networks / contacts his involvement generates that’s the real gain.

His business has expanded significantly outside the North East during his time as chairman - helped I’m sure in no small part by his being chairman.

That c’unt has done far better out of AFC than we’ll ever do out of him...

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore trout View Post
    Utter rubbish. Drunk on the job stick on gross misconduct perfectly reasonable grounds for immediate dismissal.
    True, but its just such a shame Patterson went the way he did. I've only met him a few times, perhaps he was beyond help.

Short memories from some on here tho because at the time Patterson was by far the fans favourite at the that time for the job. He did have a reputation for liking a drink but it was and still is hardly unusual in fitba so not sure how Milne can get so much stick about the appointment.

That's in no way to say I am a Milne fan. Quite the opposite, his attitude towards a proper behind the scenes structure at Pittodrie set us back many years, its getting there now but its other outside influences that have driven that not him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore trout View Post
    Utter rubbish. Drunk on the job which would have been easy enough to prove stick on gross misconduct perfectly reasonable grounds for immediate dismissal.
    He would have been highly unlikely to contest it given presumably he was bladdered when they stuck him in the boot so highly unlikely it was remotely close to being the first time
    Correct. That was clear gross misconduct and grounds for instant dismissal.

Pele holding his hands up to being a jakey after the event is no defence at all.

If he’d done so before the event, then yes there is a duty of care on the employer to support their employee - not afterwards.

It really was a completely unfathomable decision not to fire Pele for that - truly astonishing. In almost any place of work he’d have gone for that. My place has fired people for coming in while being slightly over the driving limit!

Only possible explanation I can find is his ego wouldn’t let him admit he’d f’ucked up hiring the jakey b’astard in the first place - despite being warned to steer well clear - to he let him stay.

As usual - wrong decision and only made things worse. Bit of a running theme...

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    You have really surpassed yourself with that one. I didn't think you were capable of surpassing your Jimmy Saville nonsense. But fair play to you you've pulled one out of the bag.

And only a mere 17 years had passed from being the best team in Europe to the worst team in Scotland's top division. I still feel utterly dejected when I think back to the late 1990s/early 2000s and I'm afraid the blame has got that lies entirely at the feet of Stewart Milne. And to make matters worse, he wore a f@cking hairpiece. We were a joke of a club, 17 years after being feared by all of Europe

Just to add, nothing against hairpieces when used after health issues, but everything against them when worn by a multi millionaire going through a midlife crisis...
    Last edited by BogBrush1903; 13-01-2019 at 11:35 PM.

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast