No, its not a thread to just lay in to the team but just to face facts. We are not good enough to get promoted and for some strange reason even if we did via 6th place play off, it would all end in more despair.

Smith needs time to deveop a Team, we are falling into a trap on every Window to splash the cash and build instant success. Its not working and will cripple the club despite having wealthy owners.
I would not spend another penny until the summer where there needs to be one hell of clearout. Smith produced and instant reaction as most new Managers do but he is working with mainly Bruce's no lame ducks, we have been struggling since losing Jack at albion and if a team can be affected so much due to one missing player, then your in trouble. Smiths hands are tied and he now needs to focus on next season, build a team, not pay over the oddd especially in terms of wages, keep them lean and hungry. For far too long now, players have come to villa for a big fat meal ticket and not because of ambition and hunger to win.
I was shocked to read yesterday an article about Les Ferdinand being offered "name it, what ever you want' deal to join us by Deadly, back in the day.
He chose Newcastle's ambition over money. This apart from an isolated few is not happening with some of these Charlies. They may have done ok at there previous clubs but coming to villa on a big deal is seen as making it. They cant or dont want to offer more so, as a result we do not improve.This scenario needs to change.
I am convinced we need to wipe the slate clean and start a fresh and give the Manager a good 3 seasons. We are also going to have to face facts and let the like of Jack and Mcginn go for top dollar.
Its not what we want to hear but im sure it was said many times by Leeds fans but look at them now, they look the part, we dont and been outplayed at Wigan proves it.
Keep the faith but lower the expectations and we wont get so depressed!