+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets face facts....the season is over!

Lets face facts....the season is over!

No, its not a thread to just lay in to the team but just to face facts. We are not good enough to get promoted and for some strange reason even if we did via 6th place play off, it would all end in more despair.

Smith needs time to deveop a Team, we are falling into a trap on every Window to splash the cash and build instant success. Its not working and will cripple the club despite having wealthy owners.
    I would not spend another penny until the summer where there needs to be one hell of clearout. Smith produced and instant reaction as most new Managers do but he is working with mainly Bruce's no lame ducks, we have been struggling since losing Jack at albion and if a team can be affected so much due to one missing player, then your in trouble. Smiths hands are tied and he now needs to focus on next season, build a team, not pay over the oddd especially in terms of wages, keep them lean and hungry. For far too long now, players have come to villa for a big fat meal ticket and not because of ambition and hunger to win.
    I was shocked to read yesterday an article about Les Ferdinand being offered "name it, what ever you want' deal to join us by Deadly, back in the day.
    He chose Newcastle's ambition over money. This apart from an isolated few is not happening with some of these Charlies. They may have done ok at there previous clubs but coming to villa on a big deal is seen as making it. They cant or dont want to offer more so, as a result we do not improve.This scenario needs to change.
    I am convinced we need to wipe the slate clean and start a fresh and give the Manager a good 3 seasons. We are also going to have to face facts and let the like of Jack and Mcginn go for top dollar.
    Its not what we want to hear but im sure it was said many times by Leeds fans but look at them now, they look the part, we dont and been outplayed at Wigan proves it.
    Keep the faith but lower the expectations and we wont get so depressed!

Blind faith keeps me going, we can still finish top 6. A LB, someone to share midfield with McGinn (I agree him and jack will go if we don’t go up) and a proper consistent wide man are needed now.
    DS knows who he is talking about when he says we were ‘rubbish’, ditch them now, work with the others and whoever he can bring in.
    By no means break the bank, but to write off the rest of the season would be wrong. We plan another 3 trips over this season. If Villa throw in the towel, then I may as well too and stay over here till August.
    No, we have to plough on, myself and the young Villan will anyway, and I’m sure that you will too Dave.

It’s in our blood mate.

I cannot blame you for thinking this way ExV as you say, its in our blood but im torn on this one mate,, we are well into the 2nd half of the season and lie 12th almost 20 pts behind Leeds and below both albion and blues. Not a pretty picture. Ok a couple of wins and were away but how long do we say that for, 2 home games on tbe bounce and we will be lucky to get 3 pts?
    Bruce left smith in a bad position with this defence of ours and thats been the main problem but the back 4 need to gektand to understand each other, name me 2 maybe 3 games weve kept the same back 4?
    I could name you leeds, albions or Norwichs back 4 better than ours because they play every week. But they have not just come together, they have formed a group over many months, certainly from the start of the season if not last season.
    Keep the faith, ofcourse but im lowering my expectations for the remainder of the season.

There is a distinct lack of excitement in the club. Losing Grealish, now rumors around Tammy and Kodjia going are not helping to lift the gloom.
    We need an exciting signing. El Ghazi and Bolaisie just aren’t good enough and what happened to Adomah?

Either that or a youth player needs to grab the bull by the horns and force Smith to play him. Even if Bree could step up and play it would be something but he is not looking very good either.

It's a funny ol game, except when you're a Villan

Talk of players knackered after the festive run of games, didn't the other squads have the same challenge - Hull have won their last 5! I don't think the season is lost though, Leeds, Norwich, 'boro and Sheff Utd are the favourites to go up but a couple of canny signings along with some good old fashioned graft on the training ground could see us come good for the playoffs. It would however need a massive investment to keep us up in the first season and I hope we stick with Deano whatever the weather.

So glad i couldnt get to the game today knowing whats going on but as ive said......the season is over!

I agree dave. I didn't want to post too soon. I've had a few hours to calm down. The season is over. However, DS and his tenure is just beginning
    He is the right man for the job. However, Chester is too old and well past his best. Alan Hutton is Alan Hutton. I wouldn't be sad to see him go. The keeper needs more time, as does any new signings Taylor is shocking and I wouldn't care if he didn't play and we started with 10 men.

Onward and up award. Premier league in 2021 anyone?

Even if we scrape into the playoffs I wouldn’t want to go up with this lot. DS needs a season or two to build a squad in his making which will most probably be without Jack so it’s going to take some time *sigh*.

Our squad is awful

As ive said buying players in the transfer window just spells trouble, in this race for the promised land, you do not have time to experiment, allow players 6 games to bed in etc, the 3 teams at the top are there because they have a settled team a team that was there last year and they have become a Team!
    We all know we need a clear out but buying a new team to challenge next season prob wont work either. Had bruce built from the back, he would prob still be at Villa. The truth hurts and now the honeymoon period is over for smith, reality has hit home.....we have a lot of work to do and prob many more years left in the championship?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)