+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newcastle(home)predictions FA cup

Champs - I somehow deleted part of my reply. Here's the final bit.
    I think your outrage with Benitez is over the top too. He simply did what virtually every manager does after a game: give a very one-eyed response. We all know he has no charm or social skills, but he was just using 'manager-speak'. One of the reasons I like Mowbray so much is that he generally isn't guilty of that kind of gibberish!
    Finally, I think you have to distinguish between long-term moaning about everything, on the one hand and making critical comments about specific events in a particular game, on the other. It is not disloyal for Despair and I to say that Brereton had a poor game when we think he did!
    As a matter of fact, I thought Armstrong was poor in this game too, despite his recent excellence. His goal was very well-taken, but it had a slight element of luck about it, in that it went through the keeper's legs. The two superb touches by Graham and Conway, and the timing of Armstrong's own run were really what made it such a good goal. He contributed very little else, and if you look at his work-rate in this match, compared to that of Bennett, Reed, Travis, Smallwood and Nyambe, it's chalk and cheese.
    That doesn't mean I dislike Armstrong as a player. On Saturday, he might well have another top-notch game. It's just that I reserve the right to comment - honestly and objectively - on what I have seen in front of me ON THE DAY.

Honestly this VAR is a joke in cup competitions
    Completely understand the prem clubs have it and others don't,but to use it in one game and not another is ridiculous.
    2 decisions have ultimately cost us because of VAR.
    On to brereton
    I can see both sides
    It is a lot of money for a club with very little(in terms of FFP)but we have to be patient
    The level of abuse he is receiving is disgusting,armchair fans who jump on social media to vent their frustrations at ONE man.
    Support and time is what he needs
    Maybe 5-6 games for the under 23's might give him the confidence to push on
    The nuttall effect if you like.

That is not what myself and Aucks upon this particular forum are doing, ie a slag fest of BB.
    As I constantly say, the barracking of any individual on the field of play by their own supporter is beyond contempt and something in my lifetime I have never ever done. The modern day social media stuff just makes this a far more easy tool for such minded folk.
    My approach is in ‘concerning’ over the monies involved in the reasoning of this venture where the valuation regards his ‘potential’.
    It may well be that I have gotten too used to TM unearthing a few cheapie gems that have virtually hit the ground running.
    It may also be my aging years where talk of a ‘piffling’ 32m ie MrSutton commenting upon the unwise NUFC hierarchy - that frankly makes me shake my head.
    In football they these days talk millions as others talk hundreds, in comparison.
    Yes I’m fully aware the lads 19 and no I’m not expecting him to ‘hit the ground running’.
    But there is no getting away from any ‘speculation’ is a gamble.
    Therefore I’m just hoping they (not the player himself ) have got this right.
    Back to the barracking, no one involved with BRFC can be surprised at the rising tide of it, we have a very clear history of this.
    Hence my overall concern; can he kick on, how long it will take , and more importantly will our more vociferous support ‘allow it’?

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Champs - I somehow deleted part of my reply. Here's the final bit.
    I think your outrage with Benitez is over the top too. He simply did what virtually every manager does after a game: give a very one-eyed response. We all know he has no charm or social skills, but he was just using 'manager-speak'. One of the reasons I like Mowbray so much is that he generally isn't guilty of that kind of gibberish!
    Finally, I think you have to distinguish between long-term moaning about everything, on the one hand and making critical comments about specific events in a particular game, on the other. It is not disloyal for Despair and I to say that Brereton had a poor game when we think he did!
    As a matter of fact, I thought Armstrong was poor in this game too, despite his recent excellence. His goal was very well-taken, but it had a slight element of luck about it, in that it went through the keeper's legs. The two superb touches by Graham and Conway, and the timing of Armstrong's own run were really what made it such a good goal. He contributed very little else, and if you look at his work-rate in this match, compared to that of Bennett, Reed, Travis, Smallwood and Nyambe, it's chalk and cheese.
    That doesn't mean I dislike Armstrong as a player. On Saturday, he might well have another top-notch game. It's just that I reserve the right to comment - honestly and objectively - on what I have seen in front of me ON THE DAY.
    He has been hugely disrespectful to us in the past. That time we was saying 'game over' and crossing his arms when Torres scored for Liverpool against us at Anfield, with 60 mins of the game remaining. Allardyce nearly knocked him into next week.
    After the first game he said some disgraceful things about our club, our manager and our players. And also the other night. I'm not sitting online talking the Spanish tosser up. His side are woeful and probably (hopefully) coming down.

I'm sorry, but Brereton did nothing wrong the other night?
    What are you all expecting? Him to beat 3 men and bend one in the top corner?
    You surley have watched football to know its not that simple? He put a few dangerous balls in the other night, beat his man a few times. I thought he should've hit the target with his chance, but it was far from easy.
    He looked no worse than any of Newcastles highly rated young players.

You cant compare his running to central midfielders and full backs as they by trade, do more running. Brereton has to hold the high wide position. If he leaves that position, he unbalances our team.

Not one person has mentioned his playing out of position. The transfer fee was not his fault. But your both only looking at him because of his value. And judging him on that. But he didn't make us pay that. He also is playing where his manager is asking him to play. Out of position. You looking at what he did for Forest, in a different position. In a different system.

Give the 19 year old boy a break, he will come good. It takes time.

I asked this yesterday, and will again. Because your all comparing him to Bennett, Reed etc etc .....what did any of those players achieve at 19? The answer is .....nothing. No more than Brereton.

I say lay off the lad. I say that to everyone whether its online, or getting on his back at games.

thus far we have paid £2m for Brereton. That's it. £2m.

Auks,
    Ok I said he was 3 yards offside. Which you pulled me up on. Fair enough. I'll scratch that comment.

It was OFFSIDE. they knew it was, we knew it was. And it was not given.
    It was clear offside, and we went out on that decision. We all know it was the deciding goal of the 2 games.
    They got a VAR decision at their ground. Because they are a Prem club. And handed a HUGE advantage. They only fluked a draw up there, due to a VAR decision.

Our our place, we aren't allowed to have VAR. So we are at a disadvantage. The fact the deciding goal in the two games was offside, had VAR been in, it would've been chalked off.

You blame that on the keeper. He made a mistake.
    So did the linesman, and the REF.
    But still lay the blame at just Raya? I'd say that was extremely harsh. He saved the first shot, and it spilled out. That alone isn't really a huge error. The fact the guy was offside meant it was a goal.
    We went out because of a wrong decision. Simple as that.

And their manager came out and massively disrespected our Football club. Again, for the second time in a week.
    He missed the offside goal, too bust seeing a different game to anyone else who watched.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    Auks,
    Ok I said he was 3 yards offside. Which you pulled me up on. Fair enough. I'll scratch that comment.

It was OFFSIDE. they knew it was, we knew it was. And it was not given.
    It was clear offside, and we went out on that decision. We all know it was the deciding goal of the 2 games.
    They got a VAR decision at their ground. Because they are a Prem club. And handed a HUGE advantage. They only fluked a draw up there, due to a VAR decision.

Our our place, we aren't allowed to have VAR. So we are at a disadvantage. The fact the deciding goal in the two games was offside, had VAR been in, it would've been chalked off.

You blame that on the keeper. He made a mistake.
    So did the linesman, and the REF.
    But still lay the blame at just Raya? I'd say that was extremely harsh. He saved the first shot, and it spilled out. That alone isn't really a huge error. The fact the guy was offside meant it was a goal.
    We went out because of a wrong decision. Simple as that.

And their manager came out and massively disrespected our Football club. Again, for the second time in a week.
    He missed the offside goal, too bust seeing a different game to anyone else who watched.

Totally agree with you Champs..Como se dice en Español "el camarero gordo es un coño" es la verdad..

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    I'm sorry, but Brereton did nothing wrong the other night?
    What are you all expecting? Him to beat 3 men and bend one in the top corner?
    You surley have watched football to know its not that simple? He put a few dangerous balls in the other night, beat his man a few times. I thought he should've hit the target with his chance, but it was far from easy.
    He looked no worse than any of Newcastles highly rated young players.

You cant compare his running to central midfielders and full backs as they by trade, do more running. Brereton has to hold the high wide position. If he leaves that position, he unbalances our team.

Not one person has mentioned his playing out of position. The transfer fee was not his fault. But your both only looking at him because of his value. And judging him on that. But he didn't make us pay that. He also is playing where his manager is asking him to play. Out of position. You looking at what he did for Forest, in a different position. In a different system.

Give the 19 year old boy a break, he will come good. It takes time.

I asked this yesterday, and will again. Because your all comparing him to Bennett, Reed etc etc .....what did any of those players achieve at 19? The answer is .....nothing. No more than Brereton.

I say lay off the lad. I say that to everyone whether its online, or getting on his back at games.
    No - I don't give a toss what we paid for him. When I watch a game, I look at all eleven players and judge them on their displays ON THE DAY. After a shaky opening, I thought eight of the starters did very well, and three of the substitutes. In my eyes, Brereton and Armstrong (despite the goal) had poor games, while Raya has to be blamed for the goal - offside as it was. As for the subs, Rothwell was practically invisible. Lots of fans have been calling for his inclusion because he can beat a man. What has been the end-product so far, though? I'm pretty sure that's why TM hasn't been including him.
    In contrast to that, a couple of people on the Telegraph site were STILL saying Smallwood had a poor game. They had clearly made their minds up about that in advance. I thought he, Travis, Reed and Graham were just about joint men-of-the-match.
    Brereton has been unfortunate in having to play out of position, but that is the way the team is. In general, Dack and Graham are going to be automatic choices for the two front places. Except as substitutes, the rest have to accept that they will not be in their favoured spot. This applies to Brereton, Armstrong, Nuttall, Samuel and Butterworth. And on the subject of being out of position, how many times has Bennett actually been in his favoured wide-right spot this season? Does it bother him, though? No. He would give 100% if he was coming on with the drinks-bottles.
    I was not judging Brereton by his transfer-fee. In a few previous games, I thought there were glimpses of his promise. Here, he looked clumsy and ineffectual.
    I honestly think he needs to be removed from hostile fans' scrutiny for a while. All he will get from now on is the kind of stick that has been dished out to Smallwood recently, and he hasn't got the experience to deal with it.
    If he turns out to be a flop in the long run, well...it happens to every club. If he regains his confidence and comes good, I will be delighted, and TM - in private, of course! - will be able to give two fingers to the knockers!
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 17-01-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    Honestly this VAR is a joke in cup competitions
    Completely understand the prem clubs have it and others don't,but to use it in one game and not another is ridiculous.
    2 decisions have ultimately cost us because of VAR.
    On to brereton
    I can see both sides
    It is a lot of money for a club with very little(in terms of FFP)but we have to be patient
    The level of abuse he is receiving is disgusting,armchair fans who jump on social media to vent their frustrations at ONE man.
    Support and time is what he needs
    Maybe 5-6 games for the under 23's might give him the confidence to push on
    The nuttall effect if you like.
    The VAR thing is an amateurish, embarrassing shambles. It's like saying reviews of umpires' decisions in cricket should not be used for matches in Bangladesh and Zimbabwe because those teams are not quite in the top drawer!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)