Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
No - I don't give a toss what we paid for him. When I watch a game, I look at all eleven players and judge them on their displays ON THE DAY. After a shaky opening, I thought eight of the starters did very well, and three of the substitutes. In my eyes, Brereton and Armstrong (despite the goal) had poor games, while Raya has to be blamed for the goal - offside as it was. As for the subs, Rothwell was practically invisible. Lots of fans have been calling for his inclusion because he can beat a man. What has been the end-product so far, though? I'm pretty sure that's why TM hasn't been including him.
In contrast to that, a couple of people on the Telegraph site were STILL saying Smallwood had a poor game. They had clearly made their minds up about that in advance. I thought he, Travis, Reed and Graham were just about joint men-of-the-match.
Brereton has been unfortunate in having to play out of position, but that is the way the team is. In general, Dack and Graham are going to be automatic choices for the two front places. Except as substitutes, the rest have to accept that they will not be in their favoured spot. This applies to Brereton, Armstrong, Nuttall, Samuel and Butterworth. And on the subject of being out of position, how many times has Bennett actually been in his favoured wide-right spot this season? Does it bother him, though? No. He would give 100% if he was coming on with the drinks-bottles.
I was not judging Brereton by his transfer-fee. In a few previous games, I thought there were glimpses of his promise. Here, he looked clumsy and ineffectual.
I honestly think he needs to be removed from hostile fans' scrutiny for a while. All he will get from now on is the kind of stick that has been dished out to Smallwood recently, and he hasn't got the experience to deal with it.
If he turns out to be a flop in the long run, well...it happens to every club. If he regains his confidence and comes good, I will be delighted, and TM - in private, of course! - will be able to give two fingers to the knockers!
I’m gona be controversial ( and especially to Champs 😉 ) and say : just like Aucks I’m not gona show him any ‘special favour’ due to his years.
Just how many of us out there would like to have his ‘problem/s’ ?
I’ll say again : he did’nt set the price - the ‘system’ did. This is his chosen / god given profession. And a very, very lucrative one it is.
If I was in his shoes I would like to think how grateful I would feel in having the talent to have such a career and with that be able to face up to the demands.
By this I mean take it on the chin when things don’t go just how I would wish all the time.
This is not saying blatant barracking from the throng is right, far from it. But objective critique as far as I’m concerned is not a personal attack.
I am certain that this is something TM is advising him on almost constantly. Ie a financial commitment has been made in him and for his own personal development he has to give it his best shot in making it pay.
I am sure that is what he is doing now, and I am not saying he is not. and yes it will take time, but time is a factor in all things (especially at Ewood) - for everyone.

Do I wish BB to come good - certainly, goes without saying.