+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jamie Turley Departs

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... there he goes again! FFS AH, shut the F up. Unprofessional to comment on a contract. You clearly not as bright as you think you are - well-meaning but naive.
    Yes you're right.

I take the point that if the club feels a decision is attracting heavy criticism they might want to clarify their position or give further detail, but do it through an official release, or at worst an official Notts County FC tweet. Every time Alan engages in these debates through his personal Twitter he's inviting more flak upon himself, which I actually don't want to see because eventually it will sour him like it did Ray Trew.

One advantage you have as a football chairman (as opposed to a football manager who pretty much has to accept a high profile) is that you don't have to say too much. You have the ultimate power to make decisions but you can do it in the background and allow the attention (be it praise or criticism) to focus on your football professionals. I've said it before, but Steve Gibson at Middlesbrough has shown how it's done, hence his longevity.
    Last edited by jackal2; 13-01-2019 at 04:42 PM.

💯 % effort but a fairly average footballer.
    Not a real loss and frees up money for please a big fast forward that Cambridge seemed to have at least four.

Amazed nothing on official site or did I miss it?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
    Amazed nothing on official site or did I miss it?
    I'd imagine we'll announce it tomorrow, it's only known about now because Jamie Turley tweeted it himself, the official announcement will be made on a "working day" like most announcements are, I'd be surprised if Ward isn't included in it to be honest and we may even have the suprise of what is happening with Milsom, whether he is officially signed or we announce he's on his way back to Crawley, which would be a pretty sh*t situation for him to be fair.

Heard Milly's on his way to Blackpool, apparently he likes to be near the beach in case a wave of attacks come he can easily scuttle sideways under a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    I'd imagine we'll announce it tomorrow, it's only known about now because Jamie Turley tweeted it himself, the official announcement will be made on a "working day" like most announcements are, I'd be surprised if Ward isn't included in it to be honest and we may even have the suprise of what is happening with Milsom, whether he is officially signed or we announce he's on his way back to Crawley, which would be a pretty sh*t situation for him to be fair.
    Milsom's contract with Crawley was until "January" so he won't be going back there. Given that you can only play for two teams in a season, we're stuck with the guy (I assume we've given him a contract until the end of the season, but never saw an announcement - although it may have been placed in the Obits section).

Our only hope is that he's used sparingly (ie not at all), because we will certainly not win many/any games with him crawling around in the middle of the park, failing to use the ball constructively or win a tackle. Things must be bad if I'd prefer Vaughan to him.

Out of all the young players we have, Crawford is the only one who hasn't been given much of a chance. Patching looks too lightweight and needs more time to pick a pass than he'll ever get in the hurly-burly of League 2. Oxlade-Chamberlain is painfully lightweight too - as shown by his displays at Exeter and Oldham. Then again, he had absolutely no pre-season due to his broken leg, so maybe it's a bit unfair to judge him.

Osborne is the one player I'd like to see get a chance, but that could only happen if drop the 3-5-2 and go for 4-3-3 or 4-4-2.

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieTony View Post
    What Turley lacked in natural ability, he more than made up for in endeavour and determination. Two qualities that are invaluable when faced with our predicament and two qualities which are sadly lacking in many of his colleagues.
    This is so true. In the lower leagues if you can get players who have mental and physical strength, hunger and desire and commit 100% to the cause that can take you a long way. Yes they may not have as much technical ability as some players and might not be playing at a higher level for that reason, but their worth to a team cannot and should not be understated.

Jamie Turley for me fits into the Shaun Derry’s “good bunch of lads” and Martin Allens “no big time Charlie’s” mould of player. Perhaps this is the problem we have in our dressing room not enough of these types of player which is what we need in the relegation dog fight.

There are far more players who should be shown the door ahead of Turley and as he put in his Twitter message it just seems that both parties could not agree terms and was not down to Notts not wanting him. Shame really.

Going to Grimsby according to some

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Every time Alan engages in these debates through his personal Twitter he's inviting more flak upon himself, which I actually don't want to see because eventually it will sour him like it did Ray Trew.

One advantage you have as a football chairman (as opposed to a football manager who pretty much has to accept a high profile) is that you don't have to say too much. You have the ultimate power to make decisions but you can do it in the background and allow the attention (be it praise or criticism) to focus on your football professionals. I've said it before, but Steve Gibson at Middlesbrough has shown how it's done, hence his longevity.
    Totally agree. He's been all over Twitter today since that post. It's really awkward.

If we had 11 players paying as much attention to winning football matches as AH pays to his Twitter account, we'd be out of trouble quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    Totally agree. He's been all over Twitter today since that post. It's really awkward.

If we had 11 players paying as much attention to winning football matches as AH pays to his Twitter account, we'd be out of trouble quickly.
    I appreciate it must be very difficult to resist responding to criticism, especially if you're being accused of not caring or not listening, but he needs to remember that many of those making such criticisms don't actually want to hear the answer, and will jump on any careless or indiscreet remark to create further trouble.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast