+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Jamie Turley Departs

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    Totally agree. He's been all over Twitter today since that post. It's really awkward.

If we had 11 players paying as much attention to winning football matches as AH pays to his Twitter account, we'd be out of trouble quickly.
    If he really wants to communicate with fans I don't know why he doesn't do a weekly Q and A with Scoop and Slater or even the lad who works as our press officer. It would just look more professional coming from the club or from a news outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I don't see how I've been complacent. I pay my money to watch Notts County and I express opinions on this message board about the way the club is run, including criticism where I think it's deserved. I suppose what I don't do is focus ALL my criticism on the owner, because I recognise that success or failure usually comes from a complex set of factors in any organisation, especially a football club. I've adopted that approach ever since I first started supporting Notts. Indeed I recall Derek Pavis taking a fair amount of vitriol from disgruntled fans at various times, and getting through more than his fair share of managers, but I never doubted that he wanted the best for the club, even if he couldn't always achieve it.
    Excellent post, second and third sentences in particular!

Quote Originally Posted by McCullochisGod View Post
    £450 a week?
    We have some decent defenders already and although Turley was a good, honest player we won't miss him, and you have not got a clue what his wages were. Don't give us the usual bollox "I know someone who...", any fool can come up with that lie. But if it WAS £450, then that is £450 saved. If that money made the difference in wages between signing a top target man and an average one and we got "The Man Who Saved Notts County" would you still be pouring your vitriol on Alan Hardy or would you suddenly go quiet?

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I'll take it if you're offering.
    Then you might just be our new centre half..

If the £450 a week thing is true, it's a bit of a piss take. He's a professional footballer. You can get entry-level office jobs that pay that much.

No one doubts Hardy's sincerity or committment. As several have pointed out it's his bizarre way of conducting himself. Twitter for example. It's quite funny to watch him being interviewed on the pitch, by the tunnel. He often hides a pastie behind his back and takes a bite when the camera is off him. Truly.

If the £450 a week thing is true, it's a bit of a piss take. He's a professional footballer. You can get entry-level office jobs that pay that much.
    It's low for a footballer but it's way above national minimum and living wage. It's nearly £24,000 a year, hardly a paupers wage

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    It's low for a footballer but it's way above national minimum and living wage. It's nearly £24,000 a year, hardly a paupers wage
    I'm not saying it is, but you can certainly get relatively unskilled, entry-level jobs that pay that much. Turley might be a lower-leagues battler, but he's still an experienced professional in his field.

I'm not saying it is, but you can certainly get relatively unskilled, entry-level jobs that pay that much. Turley might be a lower-leagues battler, but he's still an experienced professional in his field.
    I'd still expect a professional footballer to be earning more than the national average though, which £24k isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I'd still expect a professional footballer to be earning more than the national average though, which £24k isn't.
    You'd be surprised, a lot of players at this level aren't earning more than the every day person, they're still privileged to be earning it doing something they (should) love doing and the working hours aren't like your standard 9-5. The £450 a week quoted is about double what Haydn Hollis was earning, which is probably why we kept him around so long

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast