+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was it the fans fault Notts lost to Cambridge?

Was it the fans fault Notts lost to Cambridge?

I took my 8 year old Granddaughter to her first football match yesterday and the one recurring question she asked throughout the game was why are those fans over there were making so much noise, they were of course the Cambridge supporters. Notts fans hardly raised a chant throughout the game and I felt right from the start the fans were as nervous as the players clearly were, I felt you could feel the tension. Had the Notts fans, who outnumbered the Cambridge fans nearly 10:1, tied to really get behind the team and shout the Cambridge fans down would that have transmitted the support to the players and given them the confidence they needed? After all wasn’t the point of the £2 admission was to pack the stadium and support the team?

We could hardly hear the Cambridge fans in the Kop. I guess it depends on where you sit.

Yeah it's the fans fault. We were sheite on the pitch, as were the 'players'.

I wondered if anybody would be naive enough to post something like this. I think if the crowd had any sway whatsoever over the course of the season we would be in the play offs at least! The Notts' faithful have been brilliant this season home and away with very little encouragement from the pitch. You can point at a plethora of reasons for yesterday's debacle but the supporters should not be one of them.

I don't agree at all. The club are very lucky indeed to still have a fanbase like ours given what fans see on the pitch. There was plenty of noise until the players killed it with their indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Yeah it's the fans fault. We were sheite on the pitch, as were the 'players'.
    We could perform better though C.G. if we put more effort in on the training ground maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridg4d_Pie_ View Post
    We could perform better though C.G. if we put more effort in on the training ground maybe.
    Sat in the family stand, could only hear Cambridge fans (but closest to them) we all seemed very nervous.

Clearly there were a lot of people there yesterday who are not "regular" Notts County supporters, and perhaps it showed in the fact that chants were not often started or sustained for long, but it's also a fact that away supporters are generally more consistently vocal, including Notts County fans when they go away.

Maybe it's the siege mentality and the idea of a being a small group invading someone else's territory, but away fans often do a lot of the ongoing chanting, while home fans tend to sit and respond accordingly to what they are given. The onus is on the home team to inspire their support, because God knowns we pay enough to be entertained, and if the team doesn't deliver then they can't complain about the crowd being quiet or critical.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Clearly there were a lot of people there yesterday who are not "regular" Notts County supporters, and perhaps it showed in the fact that chants were not often started or sustained for long, but it's also a fact that away supporters are generally more consistently vocal, including Notts County fans when they go away.

Maybe it's the siege mentality and the idea of a being a small group invading someone else's territory, but away fans often do a lot of the ongoing chanting, while home fans tend to sit and respond accordingly to what they are given. The onus is on the home team to inspire their support, because God knowns we pay enough to be entertained, and if the team doesn't deliver then they can't complain about the crowd being quiet or critical.
    Yeah, it's ridiculous to think a £2 ticket offer would result in a better atmosphere. We'd get a louder roar if we scored, but you can't expect people who wouldn't go to watch Notts any other week to join in with chants.

In reply to others, who you hear definitely depends where you sit. I used to sit in the Pavis, in between the halfway line and the Kop, and from there our fans are hard to beat when they get going. It's the same in other grounds though. In the first leg of the playoffs away at Coventry, I could barely hear them sing, and we sounded amazing, but their fans said the exact opposite.

The fault lies solely with the players and whoever chose to recruit them.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  18.5 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast