+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Looking one year forward from now

Looking one year forward from now

Are we still in the Prem?

Have we cleared the decks and playing our youth?

Have we bought in new players? If so, how many?

How much have we spent on new transfers in--how much did we get on transfers out?

What is our position; in what league?

Lets star gaze and ponder for a few minutes.

After all--its just 12 months way.

Go on then, I'll play...

Are we still in the Prem? YES.

Have we cleared the decks and playing our youth? NO!

Have we bought in new players? If so, how many? TWO.

How much have we spent on new transfers in--how much did we get on transfers out? SALES ARE 80% UP ON BUYS.

What is our position; in what league? 12th in the EPL.

Lets star gaze and ponder for a few minutes. The future is bright - Claret and Blue with a touch of ginger.

Are we still in the Prem? Yes

Have we cleared the decks and playing our youth? No chance

Have we bought in new players? If so, how many? 6 new players

How much have we spent on new transfers in--how much did we get on transfers out? 30mil - 25mil

What is our position; in what league? 15th EPL

Tarky is playing at a bigger club

Go on then, I'll play...

How much have we spent on new transfers in--how much did we get on transfers out? SALES ARE 80% UP ON BUYS.

Lets star gaze and ponder for a few minutes. The future is bright - Claret and Blue with a touch of ginger.

Quote Originally Posted by WillPark View Post
    Are we still in the Prem? Yes

Have we cleared the decks and playing our youth? No chance

Have we bought in new players? If so, how many? 6 new players

How much have we spent on new transfers in--how much did we get on transfers out? 30mil - 25mil

What is our position; in what league? 15th EPL

Tarky is playing at a bigger club

Its tantalizing, isn't it?

I wanted to dispense with the "one game at a time" mantra and then wondered if the next 12 months at Burnley FC had any planning behind it or did they just reacted to it as it happened.

Most companies now have Key Performance Indicators and "star gazing" as part of their overall strategy with a bit built in for Risk and Change Management policies. A look at their competitors and market share and embrace new strategies accordingly.

Very few businesses adopt a "wait and see" strategy.

But it does appear Burnley FC do that.

It may well be part of the charm of Burnley FC in that what you see unfold is what you get.

Or, put another way, what you don't get told is the norm.

The two above responses have Burnley still in the Prem with few additions and a very balanced budget.

And who could argue with that unless we aren't in the Prem and have no new intakes.

Quote Originally Posted by blueheeler1 View Post
    Go on then, I'll play...

Its tantalizing, isn't it?

I wanted to dispense with the "one game at a time" mantra and then wondered if the next 12 months at Burnley FC had any planning behind it or did they just reacted to it as it happened.

Most companies now have Key Performance Indicators and "star gazing" as part of their overall strategy with a bit built in for Risk and Change Management policies. A look at their competitors and market share and embrace new strategies accordingly.

Very few businesses adopt a "wait and see" strategy.

But it does appear Burnley FC do that.

It may well be part of the charm of Burnley FC in that what you see unfold is what you get.

Or, put another way, what you don't get told is the norm.

The two above responses have Burnley still in the Prem with few additions and a very balanced budget.

And who could argue with that unless we aren't in the Prem and have no new intakes.
    Football is only business as far as the finances are concerned.You can have a great plan, bring in four really good players who then get injured within weeks of signing and are then out of the game so your plan is back to square one. However, because we are talking about footballers who have feelings, you are now going to ask some guys who had been 'ditched' and thought that they had no future to play as if nothing had happened.
    Some will and some won't, that is the nature of things.

You can make all the plans and have as much ambition as you possibly can, however, a few injuries to key players can disrupt the whole thing and, as a manager, all you can do is to make the most of the situation with the resources available and this is what SD has been doing since he has been here.

All I can definitely say about Burnley in 12 months time is that there will still be a Burnley Football Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Football is only business as far as the finances are concerned.You can have a great plan, bring in four really good players who then get injured within weeks of signing and are then out of the game so your plan is back to square one. However, because we are talking about footballers who have feelings, you are now going to ask some guys who had been 'ditched' and thought that they had no future to play as if nothing had happened.
    Some will and some won't, that is the nature of things.

You can make all the plans and have as much ambition as you possibly can, however, a few injuries to key players can disrupt the whole thing and, as a manager, all you can do is to make the most of the situation with the resources available and this is what SD has been doing since he has been here.

All I can definitely say about Burnley in 12 months time is that there will still be a Burnley Football Club.
    My only comment Supersub is that football is different things to different people at the top.

Its a business for those with little or limited money; its an ego trip for those with a lot.

Very few football clubs make money.

On that basis its mainly a labour of love. A sink-hole.

If you are lucky enough to have won the jackpot, like Burnley, you can bank quite a bit and make a lot of money just from the interest.

Whether that equates to a financially sustainable club for all time is a long bow to draw.

We have had windfalls before and found it evaporated in the wind.

Sure, top players can be injured and their careers cut short.

But equally top players take you to another level where relegation isn't an issue.

At the end of the day the Prem is competitive football played at the highest level.

But if the kitchen is too hot better extract yourself as quickly as possible and play in a sand pit more suitable to your aspirations.

I really do not think that a bob each way is sustainable for more than a short period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by blueheeler1 View Post
    My only comment Supersub is that football is different things to different people at the top.

Its a business for those with little or limited money; its an ego trip for those with a lot.

Very few football clubs make money.

On that basis its mainly a labour of love. A sink-hole.

If you are lucky enough to have won the jackpot, like Burnley, you can bank quite a bit and make a lot of money just from the interest.

Whether that equates to a financially sustainable club for all time is a long bow to draw.

We have had windfalls before and found it evaporated in the wind.

Sure, top players can be injured and their careers cut short.

But equally top players take you to another level where relegation isn't an issue.

At the end of the day the Prem is competitive football played at the highest level.

But if the kitchen is too hot better extract yourself as quickly as possible and play in a sand pit more suitable to your aspirations.

I really do not think that a bob each way is sustainable for more than a short period of time.
    True to a certain extent, however, if you go bottoms up, like Leeds, Leicester, Portsmouth, Cardiff and a few others you can always just not pay HMRC and seemingly get away with it.. As I said, there will still be a Burnley Football Club in 12 months time, just as there has been for the 72 years of my life. Good isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    True to a certain extent, however, if you go bottoms up, like Leeds, Leicester, Portsmouth, Cardiff and a few others you can always just not pay HMRC and seemingly get away with it.. As I said, there will still be a Burnley Football Club in 12 months time, just as there has been for the 72 years of my life. Good isn't it?
    Well, over our joint lifetimes the journey has been sad, pathetic, fantastic, bad, good and excellent.

So the mean average is around 5/10.

And I expect the next 12 months to follow suit--hopefully not in that order.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)