Quote Originally Posted by Stagnificent View Post
Oh don't be so melodramatic. You're all using words like 'demise' and 'abyss' like it's the end of everything. Every set of fans of a team that goes down to the Conference say that, but as we are proof, it really isn't the end of the world you think it is. We were in a much worse state off the pitch when we went down. We did 5 years and came back stronger. Most teams do exactly that too. I do think you'll go down and I do know how it feels, but have some perspective. It's just a relegation, not the death sentence it used to be.

And I'm not here to gloat. I actually do wish Notts well. It's only Hardy I dislike.
As Tolstoy once famously said, every relegated side is unhappy in its own way. When the Stags went down, it was thanks to their crooked chairman (allegedly). With us, it will be because of poor recruitment over many years, constant upheaval and the club becoming a financial black hole for whoever owns it (see also across the river).

Sure, we may go down and bounce straight back up. But we may also go down and go bankrupt, having to restart as Notts County AFC; we may go down and languish in the depths like York, Chester and Stockport - no one knows. It’s going to be traumatic, whatever, and all fans would feel the same.

Mansfield, Lincoln and Luton are great examples of turning things around with the right people at the helm, but I’m sure for many years in the Conference things were grim as hell at those clubs. Let’s just hope we can produce another Great Escape/football miracle and start getting the club moving in the right direction at last.